2006 HSC Essay Questions (1 Viewer)

Uni

God made me cool
HSC
Well folks, the exams now approach (13 days till English!!!!!!!!!!), and i wanted to canvas opinion on what the essay questions are likely to be. flicking through past exams, the common areas for me seem to be:

CAD and External Balance, cause and effect - I reckon this will be in there this year. there is a distinct pattern, alternating between Topic 2 and Topic 3. in topic 3 years, the focus is on inflation, growth and unemployment, in topic 2 years, the focus is on CAD, external stabiliy, exchange rates etc. This is a topic 2 year.

Globalisation and its effects (Both LIFTT and DEBIT GEF) - a very common theme, unfortunately there is no real pattern, HOWEVER with the collapse of trade talks this year, there is a distinct possibility of an effects-focused question (DEBIT GEF: Dist. of income, Economic development, Business cycle, International convergence (should be an issue developed or at least addressed in each), Trade, Government policy, Environment, Finance (investment and short term)

An economic issue, its implications and the policy mix (probably not growth or inflation, inflation has been done 3 years in a row, growth 2 years in a row) - not likely this year, but you'll need to know it all for the short answer section anyway

Case Study - a popular one, and they're absolute gift marks :D

Micro reform and structural change. This hasnt been in the paper for quite some time (not since 2003), and given the current context of the new Labour laws, i wont be the least bit suprised if labour market policy is in there.

and finally, my last bet for 2006, Protection. again, it's highly contextual with the collapse of the Doha round, and it hasnt been in the mix since 2002

and a brief disclaimer: these are merely suggestions, and not to be taken as gospel. i can only guess based on previous years questions and the trends evident. all possibilities should be explored and planned for, i for one will certainly be doing that. anyone who takes these suggestions into consideration does so AT THEIR OWN RISK.

have a nice day

Uni/.

Last edited:

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Why did this have to be a topic 2 year?????? I'm especially shit at external stability, exchange rates and the CAD. Bloody hell, I hate this subject.

virus_89

HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:
Why did this have to be a topic 2 year?????? I'm especially shit at external stability, exchange rates and the CAD. Bloody hell, I hate this subject.
Agreed

2006hsc

HSC
everyone has placed a huge emphasis on policies.
since the whole work choices 2006 being debated, there could be a question on policies to achieve goals..yet its been done before.

Leading Edge..the people who made a economics textbook..placed a huge emphasis on it.

I pray extended response is on policies or protection.....not that external stability shit.

edit: although external stability is a major aspect of policies

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I hope its on policies...or the BOP/exchange rates

I hope its not of MER or labour market policy

Uni

God made me cool
HSC
couldn't agree more with you guys... topic 2 years are the worst by such a long way..

if it's on protection i wont be complaining tho.. that's at least marginally interesting

and i think policy mix will almost certainly be in there.. the new labour reforms etc all point towards it

time to get my learn on

Uni/.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
i absolutely hate the case study & globalisation

my guess of the 4 questions:

1. mix of micro & macro on economic objectives
2. external stability (hopefully they dont say for impact of globalisation)
3. monetary policy
4. case study & possibly on ecnomies of the world.

gnrlies

HSC
You can never guess whats in the exam, but I would be surprised if they dont put some reference to workchoices (implicitly or explicitly).

Not necessarily as an extended response but somewhere.

The best tip is to know all topics. Because you are given a choice of essays, and irrespective of that, if something isn't tested in the extended responses, chances are they will give an equal amount of questions and marks in the other sections.

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
My teacher forcasted Freetrade from the beginning of the year. He put it as the only question in the extended response question in our half yearly, and it also appeared on the CSSA trial papers this year. So it's very likely.

They put in a question focused on protection in 2002. It'll be on freetrade this year I reckon. Basically same topic, just different emphasis.

But then again.. you never know >_< And omg.. if it's CAD and external stability, I would seriously start crying.

Number7

HSC
Judging by all the replies I hope it's on the CAD. Good for me, bad for you! pwn3d

babiisapphire

Tennis Fan
HSC
the extened responses are usually on issues, policies and globalisation.. i got a funny feeling bout the micro/ labour market reforms :mad1: but theres no point in trying to predict the question and then studying heaps on it.. just study everything :) so has everyone been studying eco? its ages away.. i hardly touched the subject :mad1: just been multiple choosing haha

lisraeli

HSC
go external stability! w00t!. Leading edge reckons its gonna be micro, case study, external stability and protection. they got 3/4 last year, so its a good probability

zedzed

HSC
is there any point memorising a case study essay when we're not 100% sure it's going to be in the exam? it seems like such a waste of time looking for statistics, etc.

zedzed

HSC
yea that's true. it'd practically be a guaranteed band 6 essay. i need to stop being lazy. :|

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
just out of curiousity

am i the only one who hates and not going to work on case study?

=X

zedzed

HSC
mitsui said:
just out of curiousity

am i the only one who hates and not going to work on case study?

=X
yep, im not gonna bother either.

i figured im prettyyyy confident in all the topics so even if the other essay is on a dodgy question at least i'll still be able to bullshit my way through it.

where as for the case study you actually have to know specific data and info like that which is soo boring and i cbf learning it.

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
I'm making up data for my case study. Pick a really obscure country and you'll be alright XD Of course what you make up gotta sound believable.. so at least do a little research. Don't bother learning the exact numbers, I reckon.

But then again.. that sounds pretty dodgy.. so don't take my advice XD

Ones not to do cuz everyone is doing them: Brazil, Poland (cuz they're both in Leading Edge book), China, Ireland

zedzed

HSC
Without Wings said:
you do realise you have to know specific data and info for other areas of the syllabus, such as the Australian economy too :p

i liked the case study, it was interesting.
lol yep, but the other data we HAVE to know to do well. for the case study we need to memorise MORE boring stuff like 'FDI was at $x biillion in x year' which i can't stand and i can get away with not learning. :|

but yea, to everyone else, you really should learn your case study if you're not lazy like me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)