What should I choose for Y11 subjects? (1 Viewer)

white_night

HSC
I've been thinking about them since the start of the year but haven't reached a final selection I'm happy with. So far I definitely want to go with 3u eng, French, and Latin, but that's only 7 units. Then I was thinking to either do:
1. 2u maths, legal, and geo to make 13 units
2. 3u maths, legal or geo to make 12 units
Which choice sounds better? I did geo last year and did pretty well, but legal seems interesting. And I have no idea whether I should do 2u or 3u maths in Y11 and 12, but I know I'm definitely not doing 4u maths.
Any advice would be great thanks!!

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
I've been thinking about them since the start of the year but haven't reached a final selection I'm happy with. So far I definitely want to go with 3u eng, French, and Latin, but that's only 7 units. Then I was thinking to either do:
Which choice sounds better? I did geo last year and did pretty well, but legal seems interesting. And I have no idea whether I should do 2u or 3u maths in Y11 and 12, but I know I'm definitely not doing 4u maths.
do subjects you are good at/have interest and that align w whatever degree u wanna do in uni if thats ur pathway

.kumori

HSC
i have no idea if ur school is similar to mine where we can choose a subject and within the first 3 weeks we can change our minds if we want to, or drop it to 2u maths at the end of YR 11. But if your school is similar in this way, perhaps try 3 unit math.

and between legal and geo - choose whatever u think is most interesting to you by looking at the course outline or curriculum for the subject

Last edited:

zahri992

HSC
start in 3u if u think ur capable, otherwise you can always drop. also i'd definitely consider geo, the skills section is the same as anything you've ever done in lower years and the content is decently easy as well. legal has a lot of memorising and essay writing, but considering you're looking at 3u maths I'm gonna assume you're good at it so maybe choose geo.
don't consider scaling as much, a band 6 will not be taken away from you if you enjoy it

iloveeggs

HSC
considering you're sure abt 3u eng, french and latin, id say there are 3 things you should think abt when choosing between the 2 options you had planned:
1. are you good at math? are you doing well in your cohort for math? can you handle both 3u math and eng in terms of workload? as you might notice by my signature, i am doing both 3u eng and math in yr 11 but im actually accelerating 2u math with the intention of doing 4u. so in my case im coping well bc i'm good at math and i'm pretty confident that i will go on to do 4u math, which means 2u math is not top priority and my 1 unit of extension math is where i put in most of my effort. assuming you're not accelerating this will likely be harder for you bc you will have to work towards both 2u and 3u math along with your english. i think you should reflect on your ability to cope (btw this is not to discourage you, its totally doable but you need to be honest with yourself)

2. have you taken a look at the syllabus for geo and legal or asked seniors/teachers about it? see if you actually like what is being taught. i would also find out abt what the teachers are like and whether or not kids in previously years did well in other subjects or not. also if you're going to do 3u math and english think about the workload as well.

3. this is not applicable to everyone and every subject (not sure how applicable it is in your case bc i don't do geo and geo never runs in y11 in my school bc we all hate it for some reason loll) but y10 performance is typically not the same as your y11 performance in certain subjects, so if i were in your position i wouldn't make my decision based on this. i'm not saying you'll suddenly flop geo but i'm also not saying you'll 100 percent ace it, you just don't know at this stage.

overall i would say first choose between 2u and 3u math, then if you choose 3u choose between legal and geo. just to reiterate tho you have other options besides sciences. this goes for any subject but absolutely do not pick sciences if you aren't sure or don't enjoy them imo, because they are are demanding courses and chances are if you don't really like the class you might slack off and regret taking it etc. if you have a list of what is being offered, eliminate the ones you'll def choose and then pick and see what you are sort of interested in and things like that. talk to seniors and teachers in your school because they'll have the best idea of what its like to do that subject in your specific school and stuff.

good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)