Music 2 +Ext Scaling (1 Viewer)

David3031

HSC
Hi guys, I am thinking of doing Music 2 and Extension (comp Major), but I don't know about the scaling of Music 2 and Ext; I've heard some people say it's better than physics scaling, but I've also heard some people say it's worse than like PE.
So I don't know how well/badly it scales.

Cheers

fairy.floss

HSC
Uni Grad
Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 6.54.30 pm.png
im not too sure if this is accurate or not but these are subjects you mentioned

fairy.floss

HSC
Uni Grad
all of my subjects scale bad except maths ext 😭

fairy.floss

HSC
Uni Grad
"Percentiles indicate the ranking of students in relation to other ATAR-eligible students and are determined on the basis of the aggregate of scaled marks. The percentile corresponding to a particular aggregate is the percentage of the ATAR cohort who received an aggregate mark less than or equal to that aggregate" - matrix edu
and scaled mark is self explanatory

aqwerty13402

HSC
"Percentiles indicate the ranking of students in relation to other ATAR-eligible students and are determined on the basis of the aggregate of scaled marks. The percentile corresponding to a particular aggregate is the percentage of the ATAR cohort who received an aggregate mark less than or equal to that aggregate" - matrix edu
oh my gosh im still confused. what abt this then?
1716109576950.png

katiekms

HSC
i’m more confused now… why wouldn’t they just do raw mark to scale mark? how does knowing the percentile even help us

David3031

HSC
Wait does this not imply that PDHPE scales the best? Since you need a lower mark (The y axis) to get a higher percentile (x axis)?
no its implies that pe scales not too good,

for example, on the graph, if you get 90% percentile on PE (x axis) you would get about a 74 scaled mark (y axis).
Whereas, if you get 90% percentile on physics (x axis) you would get about a 86 scaled mark (y axis).

saltedparsley

HSC
Hi guys, I am thinking of doing Music 2 and Extension (comp Major), but I don't know about the scaling of Music 2 and Ext; I've heard some people say it's better than physics scaling, but I've also heard some people say it's worse than like PE.
So I don't know how well/badly it scales.

Cheers
music 2/ext student speaking (performance elective tho). in terms of scaling i'm pretty sure music 2 is one of the highest-scaling capa subjects (although capa scaling appears to be mostly pretty bad overall) and music ext is one of the worst-scaling extension subjects. this is probably because if you look at the mark distribution for music ext most students score crazy high, i think the mode was 49/50 and most got 40+ if not 45+ (this was last year or the year before, i think). that said, if you're considering ext be aware that technically no extension subject scales 'badly' compared to non-extension. it really depends on what you're interested in at the end of the day and if you're willing to do what it takes to achieve in both these courses - if your raw mark is high enough, scaling won't affect you negatively.
apologies for the essay but hope this helps :)

fairy.floss

HSC
Uni Grad
if you think you can keep up with the theory, composition and performances, i think it would be a good option to choose cuz it does still scale quite well and you seem to be talented at your instrument by thinking of doing ext
just note that it does take up quite a lot of your time and can be overwhelming sometimes but other than that, if you think you would like the subject or do well, i suggest choosing it

David3031

HSC
if you think you can keep up with the theory, composition and performances, i think it would be a good option to choose cuz it does still scale quite well and you seem to be talented at your instrument by thinking of doing ext
just note that it does take up quite a lot of your time and can be overwhelming sometimes but other than that, if you think you would like the subject or do well, i suggest choosing it
Thank you, i would assume that u do mus 2

what are the typically levels of the b6/e4 range pieces performed and composition

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)