can i a 91 atar with bad scaling subjects (1 Viewer)

fairy.floss

HSC
Uni Grad
im currently doing eng std, maths adv, maths ext 1, pdhpe, business studies, bio and earth and environmental science (which im going to drop)
i only finished my first year 11 assessments so far and the results are not bad but could do better, but im worried im not going to get an atar above 90 from how bad my subjects scale (other than maths ext)

so does anyone have an idea of how well i need to do to get at least a 91 atar going to a school ranked in the top 65

katiekms

HSC
you’ll be fine, i’d just worry about english standard bc i think that has a big effect? idk could be wrong

fairy.floss

HSC
Uni Grad
you’ll be fine, i’d just worry about english standard bc i think that has a big effect? idk could be wrong
yeah
no one in my year can choose whether or not we want to do adv or standard
they chose for us
sad they implemented this from our year

katiekms

HSC
yeah
no one in my year can choose whether or not we want to do adv or standard
they chose for us
sad they implemented this from our year
whatt?? that’s messed up. like i understanding convincing students to be in a certain class that matches their abilities, but forcing???

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
im currently doing eng std, maths adv, maths ext 1, pdhpe, business studies, bio and earth and environmental science (which im going to drop)
i only finished my first year 11 assessments so far and the results are not bad but could do better, but im worried im not going to get an atar above 90 from how bad my subjects scale (other than maths ext)

so does anyone have an idea of how well i need to do to get at least a 91 atar going to a school ranked in the top 65
nah dw ur good trust, just rank as high as u can

fairy.floss

HSC
Uni Grad
whatt?? that’s messed up. like i understanding convincing students to be in a certain class that matches their abilities, but forcing???
a lot of parents were emailing the school to let their kids do adv but they were still holding grudges
even for maths ext
we needed to be in the top 50 out of over 200 kids and the head teacher is still trying to find a way to kick kids out

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC

yes you can get a good atar with low/high scaling subjects! I think it matters if you are trying to aim for like 99+ as it will be harder but you can still achieve that with any subject combination.

Armon

HSC
the myth that standard english is some how bad is completely unfounded. The two subjects scale identically, just have a look at the documents i attached below. The difference is that they align differently, (english advanced aligns better than english standard), however this is made up for by the easier marking criteria used in the english standard exam compared to the english advanced exam (the keywords used in the B-range responses of english advanced are the A range of english standard). The reason advanced is often times considered better is because you're more likely going to be in a class with good students who can be great competition, and because the exam tends to be a little bit more conceptual, which high achieving students tend to find easier to prepare for (just look at the mod c's given in past papers; the english standard ones have far more "literal" prompts compared to the "metaphorical" prompts in advanced. As an advanced student is significantly more likely to prepare their essays/mod c before hand, being able to bullshit a connection to the metaphorical prompt like you can do in advanced is much better for many high achievers). That being said, there is functionally zero difference and its not something to worry about. Just dont screw up your rank lmao.

the rest of your subjects are fine scalars and theres no reason you cant 91.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)