year 11 subject selection (1 Viewer)

tahliagiumelli

HSC
i have to start choosing what subjects i am to take yet next year and i am not quite sure what to choose or much about the subject. can you please tell me a bit about the year 11 subject selection. and also i want to know the difference between Studies of Religion Unit 1 and Studies of Religion Unit 2 and Catholic Studies 2 units?
thanks heaps

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, SoR1, is only 1 Unit, whereas SoR2 is 2 Units. You need a minimum of 12 Units in Year 11. So, if you have no opinion about what SoR you wanna choose, I'd recommend you choose all your other subjects first, and just fill the gap with your SoR.

Aznmichael92

HSC
I am not sure but I do think SOR goes to your UAI but not catholic studies? I could be wrong who knows. At my school neither counts to UAI as it is placed under the board endorsed list. Woops, my bad. It is a board developed coarse lol. But currently only offered in prelimary years. The subject selection booklet they gave me says SOR is a board endorsed subject.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
I am not sure but I do think SOR goes to your UAI but not catholic studies? I could be wrong who knows. At my school neither counts to UAI as it is placed under the board endorsed list. Woops, my bad. It is a board developed coarse lol. But currently only offered in prelimary years. The subject selection booklet they gave me says SOR is a board endorsed subject.
Yep.

SOR I and SOR II go towards your UAI if they are your top 10 units. However, Catholic Studies won't. On top of that SOR II is a 2 Unit course and the number of religious traditions you learn are more than SOR I. In SOR I, you do 2 but in SOR II, I think you do 4-5 (e.g. Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, ancient religion and etc.)

On a side note, SOR II has a better scaling than SOR I.

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yep.

SOR I and SOR II go towards your UAI if they are your top 10 units. However, Catholic Studies won't. On top of that SOR II is a 2 Unit course and the number of religious traditions you learn are more than SOR I. In SOR I, you do 2 but in SOR II, I think you do 4-5 (e.g. Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, ancient religion and etc.)

On a side note, SOR II has a better scaling than SOR I.
Well it should be and therefore it is. :D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
tahliagiumelli said:
i have to start choosing what subjects i am to take yet next year and i am not quite sure what to choose or much about the subject. can you please tell me a bit about the year 11 subject selection. and also i want to know the difference between Studies of Religion Unit 1 and Studies of Religion Unit 2 and Catholic Studies 2 units?
thanks heaps
I might be wrong but isn't Catholic Studies 1 unit?

sydmed2010

HSC
I am gonna choose the following subjects:
Extension 1 Mathematics:D
Extension 1 English:vcross:
Physics :karate:
Chemistry:karate:
Economics :D

autumn-angel

HSC
tahliagiumelli said:
thanks heaps
I dont think catholic studies is a board developed course nor would it count towards your UAI

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Only choose Catholic Studies if you go to a Catholic School, and you know you're gonna fail religion, OR you can't be stuffed putting in the effort for another subject (SOR or SOR2). Because Catholic Studies (as previously mentioned) will not go to your UAI, so no point in doing something that doesn't count unless you have to.

Last edited:

Aznmichael92

HSC
the-derivative said:
Only choose Catholic Studies if you go to a Catholic School, and you know you're gonna fail religion, OR you can't be stuffed putting in the effort for another subject (SOR or SOR2). Because Catholic Studies (as previously mentioned) will not go to your HSC, so no point in doing something that doesn't count unless you have to.
um i think that is slightly wrong. I think tt does go to your hsc but not your UAI. There is a difference between HSC and UAI. The HSC is all the subjects you do and UAI is based on your best 8 units and 2 units of english.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
sydmed2010 said:
I am gonna choose the following subjects:
Extension 1 Mathematics:D
Extension 1 English:vcross:
Physics :karate:
Chemistry:karate:
Economics :D
Just curious as to why you'd pick a subject you dont like before your even in year 11? Unless you needed another unit?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
agirlinatutu said:
Just curious as to why you'd pick a subject you dont like before your even in year 11? Unless you needed another unit?
Yea, why would you bother to pick something you don't like?!? It's pretty stupid; thinking logically, if you don't like something you usually try not to spend much time doing anything with it, so why would you study for it. How would you get good marks? If there were no more subjects that you liked at all (which would be hard to happen... unless the lines are crap!) you can always try one of the online distance education courses.

>> I'm going to choose Engineering Studies for year 11 and it is only offered as the online course. I am going to strive to make sure that my school offers it as a school based course one day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)