would you stop buying hard copies of books and download them off the net? (1 Viewer)

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
ie. like with the iPad technology where you download the book to your iPad, or the newspaper, magazine etc

would you stop buying hard copies of these things if it were easier and/or cheaper to go with this new technology?

personally i'd still buy my books but magazine's maybe i'd just download to the iPad (yes i'm silly and i want one badly lol)

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, i love looking at my bookshelf thats why i still want to buy them
the iPad makes everything look 10x more pretty (imo) so i'd rather look at a magazine/newspaper on there

pman

Banned
HSC
real books, 4 reasons:
1. I like to read to wind down but the lights on the screen prevent you from winding down, paper doesn't do this!
2. I'd rather support the author and the publishing companies by buying hard copies of books
3. It hurts my eyes to look at the screen for long periods of time.
4. When reading during daylight hours, no need for any electronic devices to be on so I save power.

HSC
Uni Grad
I already have lol.

EDIT: Well actually it's only 1 book so I guess I can't truly say I have.
It really just depends on availability for me. Borders have a hell of a lot but of course they don't have everything.

Last edited:

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
No. Definitely prefer the hard copies. Bookshelves are fantastic things.
Same thing with CDs in my opinion. Prefer a CD rack to a folder of mp3s.

Newspapers however.. I wouldn't mind receiving the NYTimes or the SMH on a Kindle. They're too large to handle while you're sitting down in a café (I think it's a skill old people acquire).

BlackDragon

HSC
Never. Nothing will ever really replace reading from a book - something you can hold, feel and smell - for me at least. I would hate having to read an entire book off a screen.

HSC
Uni Grad
Never. Nothing will ever really reading something out of a book or off a piece of paper, for me at least. I would hate having to read an entire book off a screen.
I think this will be generally agreed on.

Though as a comp kid it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've got a few books on my phone ATM. I much prefer the real copy though.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I would buy a book on the kindle never on the iPad though e-ink is a must for an e-reader.

spence

HSC
I'm seriously considering getting either a Kindle or an iPad, I reckon within a few years I'll be doing most of my reading on whichever I get

Klutsov

HSC
No

It feels like you've accomplished something when you complete a hard copy book. And you can feel the ending approaching better

HSC
Uni Grad
I really must disagree to those who say it's any 'different'.
The words are all the same, it doesn't affect your ability to see it all in your minds eye and picture it and stuff.
And you know how many pages in the book, so you always know how close you are to finishing it as well. Personally just more convenient.

The main and only real advantage I see of a book is that it's a hell of a lot more portable.
I guess the iPad makes that redundant putting them back on equal ground.
I spose that a book would also be better suited to people who aren't accustomed to reading off a comp as well.

Much of a muchness really.

Bereie

HSC
There's something satisfying about seeing a full bookshelf and thinking "I've read all dem words", and I've tried to do lots of reading on the computer but always get distracted. There's some public-domain texts I could only find on the internet to download, but I just ended up printing them out. So no.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)