Who is going to Macquarie 2021 (1 Viewer)

quickoats

HSC
since when was 80 credit points a yr of study?
cps are not identical between unis but 3, 6, 10, 8 or 12.5 are used in Australia.

MQ had 3cp and 4cp units worth the same amount which was confusing so the switch to 10 unified things.

shaffy33

HSC
Now 10 credit points = 1 subject
I am taking about Double Degree transfer so like Professional accounting with BA to PA and Law. They told me I need a WAM of 70 and 1 years worth of study

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I am taking about Double Degree transfer so like Professional accounting with BA to PA and Law. They told me I need a WAM of 70 and 1 years worth of study
Means you will need a minimum of 8 subjects to transfer.

shaffy33

HSC
Is that a lot in Uni terms, sorry for all these questions but even though I inquired with the uni it’s all very confusing plus enrolling into my subjects has eaten half my brain.

quickoats

HSC
Is that a lot in Uni terms, sorry for all these questions but even though I inquired with the uni it’s all very confusing plus enrolling into my subjects has eaten half my brain.
Just one year if you do 4 subjects a semester.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
8 subjects are considered a full load, so no, not a "lot".

quickoats

HSC
Okay yeah if I don’t get direct entry to Law then that would be the plan.
Do you want to be a lawyer? If that is your goal then I would recommend starting at WSU then trying to externally transfer to MQ after 1 year, rather than running the risk of not getting the internal law transfer.

shaffy33

HSC
Yes I want to be a lawyer, hopefully I get in during the UAC rounds, if not I will decide which option to take cause the early entry degrees I got into a Macquarie are also good courses, I will also ring the uni and get this transfer explained etc. Thanks for your insight and recommendation.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Can anyone list any goods and bads about Macquarie - currently spending a portion of my holidays investigating university degrees and since Macquarie is a fair distance away I was wondering if there was any pros which would make it worth the travel (UNSW is 5 min drive away from me so would need some good reasons to pick MQU over UNSW)

idkkdi

HSC
Can anyone list any goods and bads about Macquarie - currently spending a portion of my holidays investigating university degrees and since Macquarie is a fair distance away I was wondering if there was any pros which would make it worth the travel (UNSW is 5 min drive away from me so would need some good reasons to pick MQU over UNSW)
lower atar req

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Subjective but would depend on the degree you are planning to do. Travel time is another important factor.

Pro's

I) Nicer outdoor campus, who doesn't want to spend their University years in a massive outdoor sculpture park.
2) Train station/more buses available.
3) Macquarie Shops if you like shopping/ice skating/watching movies.
4) Original Actuarial degree so more established in this area.
5) Lower ATAR
6) Staff seem more willing to help you out than at other Universities, based on my and my friends and acquaintances experience.
7) Only came across one subject in my degree that was not recorded. Majority of lectures seem to be recorded.
8) Timetables seem easier to make and choose than other Universities. USYD still seems like a nightmare to perfect.
9) I went there

Con's
1) Lower ATAR requirements
2) Dependent on International Students for $$$$ cash inflows, Coronavirus has had a substantial impact on cash inflows.
3) I went there
4) Macquarie has been decreasing the number of degrees/majors available in order to decrease the current funding shortfall.
5) Casual staff like Tutors are underpaid, but that will probably prevalent at other Universities as well.

Last edited:

shaffy33

HSC
Out of these 3 courses I got into MQ uni could you give a preference which one you pick:-
- Professional Accounting with Business Administration
- Business Analytics and Economics
- Commerce and IT

I am leaning towards one of the first 2 but am still not 100% sure.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Out of these 3 courses I got into MQ uni could you give a preference which one you pick:-
- Professional Accounting with Business Administration
- Business Analytics and Economics
- Commerce and IT

I am leaning towards one of the first 2 but am still not 100% sure.
What do you want to do in the future/career plans?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Probably towards commercial/financial law
If you want to do finance, then Professional Accounting will set you up strongly and many lawyers are missing the basic accounting principles to fully practice financial law.

I personally feel that 1 and 3 are more useful, but depends on your major in commerce and IT.

shaffy33

HSC
If you want to do finance, then Professional Accounting will set you up strongly and many lawyers are missing the basic accounting principles to fully practice financial law.

I personally feel that 1 and 3 are more useful, but depends on your major in commerce and IT.
Hmm I see yeah I was also leaning towards Professional Accounting which will provide me the fundamental principles of Accounting required for financial law

shaffy33

HSC
Is university on campus or online. Do the students have the option to choose whether they want to study on campus or online.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Is university on campus or online. Do the students have the option to choose whether they want to study on campus or online.
Likely to be on campus. They may be offering an online option for some or all of your courses.

Macquarie will email if Coronavirus results in having to do online tutorials or lectures.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
If you end up doing professional accounting you can always choose to watch all your lectures online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)