Which road to take?? (1 Viewer)

ScienceGuy99

HSC
Hello. I seem to post here a lot, so I apologise for the spamming of the thread thing or whatever it's called. Haha I have a semi-science related question for anyone willing to read this! Please do, any opinion is welcome.

I love science and I'm incredibly passionate about it, and I would love to spend my entire life doing it! My plan would be to get a PhD in one of the hard sciences (astrophysics, virology, nuclear physics...) and I've supported this with subjects I'm taking at school (3U maths (plan to do 4U in year 12), advanced english, bio, chem, physics).

The problem, or my main concern with this plan, is that I'll get bored with it. I get bored extremely quickly. Not in short term such as hours, but medium to long term (weeks, months) I begin to get bored with things and want to find something new and exciting to do... Until I then get bored of that too and move on to the next thing. This has happened many times with hobbies, and even my subjects at school. I go through stages where I love biology, and then a few weeks later I'll hate it because it's the same thing over and over again. You get the idea, I'm sure.

So my other option for... LIFE... is the defence force through ADFA. It'd be an extremely exciting and riveting career with new challenges every day, and I'd never get bored!!!!!!! Buuuuuut there's no science in it, and, if I'm honest with myself, it doesn't really suit MY introverted and unsociable nature. The physical and outdoors side of it would be amazing!! But the environment of the defence force with all the people and communication and leadership skills required just isn't me.

Please give me your advice and what you think would be the best option for me!

Silly Sausage

HSC
Hello. I seem to post here a lot, so I apologise for the spamming of the thread thing or whatever it's called. Haha I have a semi-science related question for anyone willing to read this! Please do, any opinion is welcome.

I love science and I'm incredibly passionate about it, and I would love to spend my entire life doing it! My plan would be to get a PhD in one of the hard sciences (astrophysics, virology, nuclear physics...) and I've supported this with subjects I'm taking at school (3U maths (plan to do 4U in year 12), advanced english, bio, chem, physics).

The problem, or my main concern with this plan, is that I'll get bored with it. I get bored extremely quickly. Not in short term such as hours, but medium to long term (weeks, months) I begin to get bored with things and want to find something new and exciting to do... Until I then get bored of that too and move on to the next thing. This has happened many times with hobbies, and even my subjects at school. I go through stages where I love biology, and then a few weeks later I'll hate it because it's the same thing over and over again. You get the idea, I'm sure.

So my other option for... LIFE... is the defence force through ADFA. It'd be an extremely exciting and riveting career with new challenges every day, and I'd never get bored!!!!!!! Buuuuuut there's no science in it, and, if I'm honest with myself, it doesn't really suit MY introverted and unsociable nature. The physical and outdoors side of it would be amazing!! But the environment of the defence force with all the people and communication and leadership skills required just isn't me.

Please give me your advice and what you think would be the best option for me!

Just note that these fields have very little little job prospects in America, let alone Australia.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, ADF offers university scholarship where you get to finish an undergraduate degree for free (i.e. they pay all your fees) and also pay for your training as well, with guaranteed job at the end. To be honest, it sounds like you might be interested in doing an undergraduate degree in like science/engineering and you can always choose to work in the defence force as an engineer of some kind-which definitely requires some knowledge of science-i.e. physics.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
But what about afterwards? For PhD's and research you have to pick a very specific area and work on it for years and years... Giving more and more chance of getting bored as always :(
You'll know what you want by then

Merly

HSC
I found myself in your text but changed my mind because it asks for complete dedication and lots of effort. But i totally wish you success :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)