which is better? (1 Viewer)

toilet

HSC
is it better to get top ranks at school for standard english or average ranks in advanced english? (for a school usually ranked in the 200s) and is it common for teachers to discourage students from picking advanced english? my school strongly encouraged students to pick standard english despite the terrible alignment and similar workload to advanced whilst they encouraged many students (even those doing poorly in year 10 maths) to take advanced maths. is there a reason for this?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Average ranks in Advanced.

For the mathematics part, some universities have advanced mathematics as a prerequisite.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
That depends on your cohort's performance in either the English Standard or English Advanced HSC exams, which is due to the moderation process. It is considered difficult to achieve a band 6 as your HSC mark (final mark) in English Standard, whereas it may not be as difficult to achieve the same result in English Advanced due to the advantage of alignment. For example, in the case of first rank in English Advanced as your final rank, your Assessment Mark will be adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (HSC exam mark) of any student in your cohort. While this may sound good, the limitation is that the highest mark may not be as high as you want it to be (i.e. it may not be a band 6 and higher). In such a case, having an average rank in English Advanced may be more beneficial. With that said, it is important that you do your utmost to maximise your rank, irrespective of whether you take English Standard or English Advanced.

I'm not entirely sure as to the reason behind your school's recommendations in terms of which subjects to take, except perhaps in the case of maths, where some university degrees have prerequisites (such as Mathematics Advanced as mentioned above). When I enrolled at my school, it was ranked in the 150's and I don't recall any recommendations of the sort. It was rather students who were in control of which subjects they wish to take and keep (with the exception of Mathematics Extension 2 perhaps). At the end of the day, encouraging or discouraging students from taking a particular subject remains a mere suggestion/recommendation from the school

I hope this helps! 😄

uniqueusername1

HSC
is it better to get top ranks at school for standard english or average ranks in advanced english? (for a school usually ranked in the 200s) and is it common for teachers to discourage students from picking advanced english? my school strongly encouraged students to pick standard english despite the terrible alignment and similar workload to advanced whilst they encouraged many students (even those doing poorly in year 10 maths) to take advanced maths. is there a reason for this?
DO NOT DROP to standard. If your doing average in advanced trust me you'll do just a bit above average in standard at the most. The marking is not that much different.

dennisdennis

HSC
I think English advanced is better because the median band is band 5 which is pretty good and band 6 is still common (14% in 2020). But for standard, it is basically almost impossible to get band 6 (<1%), so if you're at the top of standard you'll probably get a band 5 (especially in an average rank school) which is the same band as advanced average, and it would be easier being in the average of English advanced than the top of standard.

toilet

HSC
DO NOT DROP to standard. If your doing average in advanced trust me you'll do just a bit above average in standard at the most. The marking is not that much different.
sadly im doing standard (i just started year 12). i wanted to pick adv eng in year 10 but my teachers wouldn't put me in adv bc my year 10 averaged marks were too low (because i used year 10 as my final year of free time before hsc started). the teachers basically chose everyone's level of english and we had no say

dennisdennis

HSC
sadly im doing standard (i just started year 12). i wanted to pick adv eng in year 10 but my teachers wouldn't put me in adv bc my year 10 averaged marks were too low (because i used year 10 as my final year of free time before hsc started). the teachers basically chose everyone's level of english and we had no say
same this also happened in my school, the teachers chose who would be in English advanced. They literally only allowed 2 classes to be english advanced and we ended up having 9 classes of english standard :(

uniqueusername1

HSC
They are just dogging the boys. Maybe if your keen on doing advanced switch schools assuming you guys are just 2 weeks in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)