Which Degree is the best out of the following: (1 Viewer)

RaymondB

HSC
Is it possible to major in economics with a commerce and professional accounting degree? Even if it isn't, I'm not too focused on economics and I don't want to do a pure economics degree (even if it's part of a double degree). I'd rather major in economics if I somehow decide I like it. Im more focused on commerce and accounting.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Is it possible to major in economics with a commerce and professional accounting degree? Even if it isn't, I'm not too focused on economics and I don't want to do a pure economics degree (even if it's part of a double degree). I'd rather major in economics if I somehow decide I like it. Im more focused on commerce and accounting.
Mate i don't think you can do commerce and accounting separately (different degrees).

If your keen on doing commerce I guess you could just major in accounting in the first year if you decide so.

Also we have like 3 months so you have plenty of time to consolidate your choice unless your relying on early entry.

sab13562

HSC
I am having trouble with deciding on a business degree at Macquarie, and need help with choosing the following:

* A Bachelor of Commerce Degree
* A Bachelor of Professional Accounting
* A Bachelor of Commerce and Professional Accounting
* Possibly a Bachelor of Economics or Commerce and Economics
* Essentially any mix of the latter three degrees (Commerce, Proffesional Accounting, Economics albeit less likely)

I know the double degree (Commerce and PA) seems logical, but what are the pros and cons of each degree, and what differentiates them from each other? For more context, I aim to become either an accountant or other financial pathway (I dislike marketing, operations and especially human resources lol, so I prefer not to learn them in uni), or possibly becoming an economist. The problem is I feel like commerce is better because it allows me to study a larger range of things and so I can learn what I like and dislike (for example professional accounting won't let me learn economics, which I may like). Thanks for the help!
Have you considered double majors? Macquarie offers double majors, and duration of the course will remain three years. That way you can do both eco and accounting together without studying an extra year.

quickoats

HSC
A major in economics is not going to be much different from a degree in economics - pretty much you cover the same scope. In the double degree setup, BCom(Economics Major) vs BEc is pretty much identical except that you swap some compulsory commerce cores (like marketing) for economics subjects.

You do not need to declare your major until a bit later (2nd year). I suggest that you take the compulsory ECON1020 and try ECON1021 as an elective to see if you like economics, then major in it later.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, but you are aware that this is a double degree and takes 4 years right? https://mq.edu.au/study/find-a-cour...merce-and-bachelor-of-professional-accounting

RaymondB

HSC
Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 10.52.22 am.png
My current preference list. The number 1 preference is definite and I am happy with it (Bachelor of commerce and professional accounting). I am pretty satisfied with the list for now except for the second preference, I don't know if I should get rid of the double commerce and economics degree at UNSW or just move it down to 3 and swap with the single commerce degree and major in accounting, economics or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)