What's everyone's top 10 favourite albums? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Originally posted by lazychic

HEY!!! what abt me? :D

i got good taste too ;)

selwyn!!!!~~~ :D
Um... I don't like Selwyn much at all....
And I don't respect him at all so I can't really say you have good taste....

But taste is subjective anyways....

boycalledfox

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

I've heard that the album isn't one of those instantly accessible albums, is this true? Does it take a few listens for you to go "holy sh!t! this is greatest thing I've heard"?

I think I'm gonna d/l a few songs and check him out...
i bought grace immediately after i heard last goodbye, it's incredibly moving in a way that is unique to jeff. and i pretty much loved the whole cd at first, though he does some cover's on it which i don't like anywhere near as much as his originals.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
in no particular order, and ive probaly left some out.
Linkin Park - hybrid theory
eminem - slim shady lp
eminem - the eminem show
eminem - marshall mathers lp
oasis - whats the story morning glory
craig david - born to do it
regugitator - unit
the vines - highly evolved
beatles - anthology
jamiroquai - travelling without moving

Yo Trilogy

wow, so much crap that people listen to. now i can see who keeps these people in business.

1. Queen - A Night At The Opera (1975)
2. Iron Maiden - Brave New Wrold (2000)
3. Kiss - Alive! (1975)
4. AC/DC - Back In Black (1980)
5. Tool - Lateralus (2001)
6. Metallica - Master Of Puppets (1986)
7. Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth (1997)
8. Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)
9. Led Zeppelin - IV (1971)
10. Kiss - Destroyer (1976)

Yeah thats right im a metalhead :headbang: . And in case your thinking that i dont like any new music, i do. But new albums that are excellent are few and far between.

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

HSC
Originally posted by Yo Trilogy
wow, so much crap that people listen to. now i can see who keeps these people in business.

1. Queen - A Night At The Opera (1975)
2. Iron Maiden - Brave New Wrold (2000)
3. Kiss - Alive! (1975)
4. AC/DC - Back In Black (1980)
5. Tool - Lateralus (2001)
6. Metallica - Master Of Puppets (1986)
7. Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth (1997)
8. Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)
9. Led Zeppelin - IV (1971)
10. Kiss - Destroyer (1976)

Yeah thats right im a metalhead :headbang: . And in case your thinking that i dont like any new music, i do. But new albums that are excellent are few and far between.

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
I don't like your arrogant comment that people listen to "crap", considering metal is one of the most derivative genres of all time, and considering you have such narrow-minded taste.... Although I have to admit some of your choices are pretty good (especially Tool's Lateralus).

And if you think that there are few new albums that are excellent you just aren't looking hard enough, or not looking in the right places....

Yo Trilogy

I don't like your arrogant comment that people listen to "crap", considering metal is one of the most derivative genres of all time, and considering you have such narrow-minded taste.... Although I have to admit some of your choices are pretty good (especially Tool's Lateralus).
narrow minded taste??

yeah i can see that from looking at my choices, however, i am most narrow minded to the manufactured music that people have put down, of which artists have little talent at all. Metal is my favourite genre. However i also have an extensive collection of jazz, funk, musicals, opera and classical. And again, all of these all have talent. Looking back, there is less crap than not, and i was only browsing through the first time, which is why i managed to miss some of the good posts.

Anyway i resent being called narrow minded. I consider these to be the best albums ever made from ALL GENRES. just cuz there all rock doesn't mean don't like other music. Anyway, i have one of the widest time ranges of music of anyone who has posted here, from 1971 - 2001. Most people here have chosen albums from the last couple of years.

And arrogant... point taken. My bad.

And PLEASE steer me in the direction of DECENT ALBUMS from the last couple of years. However i highly doubt that, IN MY OPINION, they will top this list, i have been looking high and low for great albums of new music. The vast majority of albums listed by people here I have heard, and while they all have a few songs that are good, few are great ALBUMS.

HSC

narrow minded taste??

yeah i can see that from looking at my choices, however, i am most narrow minded to the manufactured music that people have put down, of which artists have little talent at all. Metal is my favourite genre. However i also have an extensive collection of jazz, funk, musicals, opera and classical. And again, all of these all have talent. Looking back, there is less crap than not, and i was only browsing through the first time, which is why i managed to miss some of the good posts.

Anyway i resent being called narrow minded. I consider these to be the best albums ever made from ALL GENRES. just cuz there all rock doesn't mean don't like other music. Anyway, i have one of the widest time ranges of music of anyone who has posted here, from 1971 - 2001. Most people here have chosen albums from the last couple of years.

And arrogant... point taken. My bad.

And PLEASE steer me in the direction of DECENT ALBUMS from the last couple of years. However i highly doubt that, IN MY OPINION, they will top this list, i have been looking high and low for great albums of new music. The vast majority of albums listed by people here I have heard, and while they all have a few songs that are good, few are great ALBUMS.
Sorry.... I just got the impression that you have narrow minded taste...when you clearly have very broad tastes....

I agree with you about some people having rather bland taste here tho.....

OK, I listen to music different to you, so I don't know if you'll like them... but here goes

Radiohead- OK Computer

This IMHO is the best album of all time, and at the very least the best album of the nineties... much better than the vastly overrated Nevermind- Nirvana. It's alternative rock or art-rock with some electronica. I recommend the track "Paranoid Android" and the whole album

Radiohead- Kid A

I dunno if you like electronica, but if you do this album is awesome and ground-breaking. stand out tracks: Everything in its Right Place or The National Anthem for electronica, How to Disappear Completely or Optimistic for rock

Sigur Ros- Agaetis Byrjun

An Icelandic Band, who make beautiful post-rock soundscapes...
bits of classical here and there. The guy has the most beautiful voice I have ever heard. standouts: Staraflur, Olsen Olsen

LP5- Autechre

This album is one of the best experimental electronica albums I've heard. A complete head fuck of distorted beats and ambience... Standouts: 777, acroyear2, rae

Godspeed you Black Emperor!- Lift yr fists like antennaes to heaven

Post-rock, with bits of sound art and spoke word. all the tracks on this album (4 in total) are about 20 minutes long each. standouts: sleep

oh... and of course Lateralus and Aenema, which I'm sure you've heard

All these albums I personally consider modern classics, or near classics at the very least.....

Yo Trilogy

i negleted to mention im not a fan of electronica. The whole computer generated music thing has always pissed me off. of course, however, there are always exceptions

i will download or borrow those albums and tell you what i think of them

btw, which of my choices did you think were "pretty good"?

and please try listening to:

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

This is a truly amazing record. And you may care to notice that ALL of the members are world-class players and song writers. Recorded in 2000.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth

A power metal band with strong influences in Queen and have a very folklore / medieval kind of sound. Hard to describe. Based on a Tolkien novel. Recorded in 1997.

Seeing you like more electronica based music, you may not like it, however these two albums are full of great songs.

HSC
i negleted to mention im not a fan of electronica. The whole computer generated music thing has always pissed me off. of course, however, there are always exceptions

i will download or borrow those albums and tell you what i think of them

btw, which of my choices did you think were "pretty good"?

and please try listening to:

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

This is a truly amazing record. And you may care to notice that ALL of the members are world-class players and song writers. Recorded in 2000.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth

A power metal band with strong influences in Queen and have a very folklore / medieval kind of sound. Hard to describe. Based on a Tolkien novel. Recorded in 1997.

Seeing you like more electronica based music, you may not like it, however these two albums are full of great songs.
Hrmm.... to be honest I personally only love Lateralus as I always I thought the metal genre was rather bland... but I do acknowledge that many of the albums you have selected have been very influential to many a band...

Metal I don't really like because the music uses too many 'screamed' or 'shouted' vocals, while its a perfectly valid form of expression, I just find it hard on the ears and if the whole album is that I just don't like it... Thats why Tool are one of the only metal bands I can listen to (I don't mind deftones and a perfect ciricle), cos the guy has got a very impressive voice.

I was actually never was much of an electronica fan, that is until my favourite band (Radiohead) steered in that direction with Kid A. That album opened my eyes (or ears rather) to a whole world of music, I realised that electronica doesn't necessarily mean 'dance' or 'techno' or whatever its called these days.....

Anywho I'll check it out, but you might have to recommend certain tracks from each album....

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
hrrm iron maiden

do the words old man, truck driving, mullet, triple M come to mind?

no they dont...
(well maybe hehe)

:D :D :D

Yo Trilogy

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

Hrmm.... to be honest I personally only love Lateralus as I always I thought the metal genre was rather bland... but I do acknowledge that many of the albums you have selected have been very influential to many a band...

Metal I don't really like because the music uses too many 'screamed' or 'shouted' vocals, while its a perfectly valid form of expression, I just find it hard on the ears and if the whole album is that I just don't like it... Thats why Tool are one of the only metal bands I can listen to (I don't mind deftones and a perfect ciricle), cos the guy has got a very impressive voice.

I was actually never was much of an electronica fan, that is until my favourite band (Radiohead) steered in that direction with Kid A. That album opened my eyes (or ears rather) to a whole world of music, I realised that electronica doesn't necessarily mean 'dance' or 'techno' or whatever its called these days.....

Anywho I'll check it out, but you might have to recommend certain tracks from each album....
no problem.. except i didn't do that due to the fact that they are both great ALBUMS AS A WHOLE but anywayz...

BNW - The Wickerman, Brave New World, Blood Brothers.
I think you'll be pleasently suprised by the singer's vocal tone.

NIME - Nighfall, Thorn, The Curse Of Feanor.

In fact, i share your veiw on shouting vocalists, however i think you'll find that its mostly modern metal that uses that technique. I can't stand the 'new' way of singing *cough, ahem* that 'singers use nowadays.

Originally posted by luigi_000

hrrm iron maiden

do the words old man, truck driving, mullet, triple M come to mind?

no they dont...
(well maybe hehe)
Old man? Hell no! How old do you think they are?? Try men in their twenties/early thirties if looking for maiden fans.

Truck driving? never met one who's a maiden fan, try AC/DC...

Mullet? AC/DC again (who have kids w/ rats tails).

Triple M? I wish!!! i've been trying to get triple m to play them for months!!

so, no they dont come to mind!!

cptpinkerton

I don't like to class it as a top 10 in any order, but these are all recordings which are number one's in my opinion.

1. Weezer - Pinkerton
2. Radiohead - Kid A
3. Weezer - Blue
4. Radiohead - OK Computer
5. Eels - Electro-Shock Blues
6. The Avalanches - Since I left You
7. Nirvana - Unplugged
8. Weezer - Maladroit
9. The Strokes - Is This It
10. Eels - Daisies Of The Galaxy.

HSC
Originally posted by cptpinkerton
I don't like to class it as a top 10 in any order, but these are all recordings which are number one's in my opinion.

1. Weezer - Pinkerton
2. Radiohead - Kid A
3. Weezer - Blue
4. Radiohead - OK Computer
5. Eels - Electro-Shock Blues
6. The Avalanches - Since I left You
7. Nirvana - Unplugged
8. Weezer - Maladroit
9. The Strokes - Is This It
10. Eels - Daisies Of The Galaxy.
ROCK!!!

Another Radiohead fan!

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
1. Crowded House - Reacuring Dream
2. The Whitlams - Undeniably the Whitlams
3. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinte Sadness
4. Ben Folds Five - Self Titled
5. Ben Lee - Breathing Tornados
6. Cat Stevens - The Best Of
7. Radiohead - The Bends
8. Beth Orton - Concret Sky
9. Ben Folds - Rockin' the suburbs (dont go by the title track, this is a BEAUTIFUL and unreated album)
10. P.J. Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea

Yea to all my fellow Whitlams, Ben Harper and Pumpkins fans, i can tell you are all beautiful and intelligent people!

Oh, and if i was allowed to have a number 11, it would be Jeff Buckley, Bjork, U2 or the Doves

Sanchez#1

Hey mercury drinker, its pretty obvious you think that Radiohead is the greatest thing since the wheel :D

So lemme ask you this. On track 7, OK Computer - Fitter, Happier...

Is that a Bonzi Buddy talking?!?!:confused:

cptpinkerton

Hhmmmm...

I gather there are no Weezer fans here?

Have any of you guys really listened to Weezer, besides stuff that's on the radio?

I thought there would be some!

I think if any of you would like to listen to a fantastic, emotional and beautiful recording you should get Weezer's 2nd album 'Pinkerton'. It beat 'The Bends' by one place in Rolling Stones Top 100 Albums of all time poll, it got #16.

Sanchez#1

Pinkerton huh?

I got half of Maladroit, and I didn't really like it. I got half of The green Album and i didn't really like it either. Does Pinkerton promise anything different?

I have to admit the best Weezer songs I've heard are the ones I hear on the radio.

HSC
Originally posted by Sanchez#1
Hey mercury drinker, its pretty obvious you think that Radiohead is the greatest thing since the wheel :D

So lemme ask you this. On track 7, OK Computer - Fitter, Happier...

Is that a Bonzi Buddy talking?!?!:confused:
Nah its Stephen Hawking actually (you know that wheel chair guy).....

Its a pretty cool "song", nothing compared to the rest of the album of course....

HSC
Re: Hhmmmm...

Originally posted by cptpinkerton
I gather there are no Weezer fans here?

Have any of you guys really listened to Weezer, besides stuff that's on the radio?

I thought there would be some!

I think if any of you would like to listen to a fantastic, emotional and beautiful recording you should get Weezer's 2nd album 'Pinkerton'. It beat 'The Bends' by one place in Rolling Stones Top 100 Albums of all time poll, it got #16.
Too bad it didn't beat the mighty "OK Computer", which was number 8 (I think)..... :D

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Yo Trilogy --> i've just recently realised that metal isn't all slipknot and mudvayne: neither of who i like.... alot of older metal/goth metal sounds quite good... i just may well grow my hair and invest in some white makeup :) nah prolly not, but i've been starting to pay more attention to the genre.

nirvana are overrated as f*ck. would they be as famous if kurt cobain was still alive?

i like a whole range of things

i'm a big radiohead fan... also electronica type stuff, drum+bass (all of it- jungle, hard, atmospheric, etc), hardcore techno (only the nastiest, darkest end), 70's funk+disco, occasional synth-pop, bastard pop/mashup/glitch pop (but i'm sure i'll grow out of it ;)), chillout, trip-hop, occasional classical stuff but nothing too grandiose, british and australian hip-hop, occasional metal, as above, errr... and other stuff too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)