What to do if one failed to enter medicine through undergraduate and graduate pathway (1 Viewer)

The Savior

HSC
Greetings fellow Bosers. I have a mate who is unsure on what to do atm. He is 23 and failed to enter medicine during year 12 through the undergraduate pathway (ATAR+ UMAT+ Interview) because of his low UMAT score. So he went to uni and did a med science degree at ANU in order to try out for the graduate pathway. Unfortunately that didn't go to plan either and he has "stuffed up" his gamsat twice now. The problem is that he really wants to get into medicine but it is starting to set his life back. So he is wondering what other options he has that can get him a spot in med at any uni. I am quite worried for him because the employment prospects for a med science graduate is pretty poor beyond a generic research position. Any suggestions would be great.

A1P

HSC
Re: What to do if one failed to enter medicine through undergraduate and graduate pat

What is his MedSc's GPA btw?

One course for him I can think of is retrying retrying GAMSAT until he gets a good enough score. He can do twice a year, the Aus one in March and UK one in Sept. Try four more times if he still can't make it I guess he's not destined for Med.

With a GPA better than ~6.2 he can also apply to JCU as a non-standard applicant. No GAMSAT or UMAT there but requires a very well written application to get an interview. Another downside is only 15-20 places for non-standards, tough competition.

Or sit UMAT again and try with the undergrad Med unis that accept non-standards - WSU, JMP, UTas.

Medman

HSC
Re: What to do if one failed to enter medicine through undergraduate and graduate pat

There are plenty of better careers out there than medicine. Why pigeon hole yourself into one path unless you will die if you don't do it.

Life is about being adaptability and pivoting to take advantage of opportunities that come your way.

clementinez

HSC
N/A

An allied health:

Physiotherapists.
Occupational therapists.
Psychologists.
Dietitians.
Podiatrists.
Exercise physiologists.
Speech pathologists.
Osteopaths.
Chiropractors.
Audiologists.
This ^^
but for some of these a MedScience degree will not suffice for admission. I know at USyd you can do graduate entry Occupational Therapy and Speech Pathology regardless of what degree you have.
Chiro, Ostheo, Podiatry, Physio, Psych require Health Science degrees in most cases or Excercise Physiology for Physio Graduate Program. Also Psychology would require undergrad Psychology to get into a Masters.
Audiology at Macquarie requires a speech/health science/linguistics/music background.

There is also Applied Science in Diagnostic Radiography which doesn't require a specific undergraduate degree and might be a good fit for him.

Medman

HSC

Please don't do chiro, osteopathy or naturopathy they are pseudoscience degrees.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad

There are plenty of better careers out there than medicine.
This.

Please don't do chiro, osteopathy or naturopathy they are pseudoscience degrees.
And THIS. Please don't do this bulls***.

Medman

HSC

This.

And THIS. Please don't do this bulls***.
I've seen a few patients who were adversely affected by the advice of chiropractors and naturopaths. One naturopath I saw prescribed a woman who was allergic to pollen and some plants, plant based skin rubs and nasal rinse for her dermatitis and sinusitis respectively. Guess what happened to both her conditions, they got worse. Literally spent 30mins talking to her explaining that naturopathy is probably not a good solution to her problems. Woops thought you were disagreeing.

Last edited:

wenq

HSC

Pretty sure Havox was agreeing with you XD

Medman

HSC

Pretty sure Havox was agreeing with you XD
Woops he didn't make it clear XD

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad

I was agreeing with you.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC

There are many options and he should probably make a decision asap unless he wants to spend the majority of his life studying at uni.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad

Choose medicine if there is literally nothing else he would be happy doing, the choice without regrets is the right one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)