• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

what should i do over the holidays? (1 Viewer)

Purplxe

HSC
so i finish school today ( i was thinking to study lightly over December? holiday period but heavily into January) and i know i need to work a lot over these holidays to improve/get ahead/rote learn subjects. For english (standard) what should i do? i know we are doing The Castle for Module A in term 1 and The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time for Module B. on top of me wanting to do work relating to to that i also want to improve on essay writing and short answer answers and maybe do some creative as its been a while since i've done a creative writing. For maths (Standard) we have finished trigonometry and are roughly a quarter into rates. i was thinking to just go through trig do questions out of both oxford and cambridge (possibly write notes iv'e never really done it for maths but i might give it a try) then the same for rates although i don't know what topic is next. for business i was thinking on just getting the textbook/syllabus and going through. i thought of maybe finding other peoples notes to look at as-well. for econ which is my lowest performing subject in the yearlies i got 56%. id like to really learn topic 1 and 2 then go over 3 and 4. i've thought about doing tutoring throughout the holidays to learn all this, does anyone agree or recommend. how do you rote learn lets say i have notes for a subject how would i rote learn those? just reading them or sections of them over and over, rewriting them?

Jes03

HSC
Hi Purplxe,
I'm in a similar situation and considering holiday study to go into year 12 prepared. In QLD, its a bit different, but I have borrowed the yr 12 textbooks and have started reading these. Also, we are studying OFOTCN for unit 3. Your plan sounds good for English, Maths, Business and Economics. I do mainly science subjects (bio, chem, psych) so can't advise about econ and business. There are many different ways to study and its completely subjective to the person doing the study and also how you learn. I prefer reading the textbook first then completing chapter questions to confirm my understanding of the topic. If you are doing "active study" instead of "passive study", you are more likely to remember the content. For example, passive study may be just reading over the notes or texts, which is good. But active learning is engaging with this content via the form of questions, flashcards, condensing or summarising it. Other forms of study can include: SQ4R/SQ3R (reading method to retain textbook content easily), retrieval practice, spaced practice, colour coding notes, mind maps, watching videos or reading secondary texts etc. Its all about how you as a student enjoy studying and what methods you find effective. A simple search can reveal various different study techniques. Hopefully you find some that work for you and have a productive summer holiday period! :)

laterz laterz

HSC
so i finish school today ( i was thinking to study lightly over December? holiday period but heavily into January) and i know i need to work a lot over these holidays to improve/get ahead/rote learn subjects. For english (standard) what should i do? i know we are doing The Castle for Module A in term 1 and The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time for Module B. on top of me wanting to do work relating to to that i also want to improve on essay writing and short answer answers and maybe do some creative as its been a while since i've done a creative writing. For maths (Standard) we have finished trigonometry and are roughly a quarter into rates. i was thinking to just go through trig do questions out of both oxford and cambridge (possibly write notes iv'e never really done it for maths but i might give it a try) then the same for rates although i don't know what topic is next. for business i was thinking on just getting the textbook/syllabus and going through. i thought of maybe finding other peoples notes to look at as-well. for econ which is my lowest performing subject in the yearlies i got 56%. id like to really learn topic 1 and 2 then go over 3 and 4. i've thought about doing tutoring throughout the holidays to learn all this, does anyone agree or recommend. how do you rote learn lets say i have notes for a subject how would i rote learn those? just reading them or sections of them over and over, rewriting them?
tbh, there is no benefit in rote learning, you won't be able to remember the stuff till HSC. Eco is mostly practical, watch edrolo, read articles about COVID-19 and try understand the concepts. You want the info to be helpful in future. Also, for eco, do essays and include a lot of stats. Essays are the place where most of us lose marks. For business, do a lot of reports and for the notes, read the stuff first, understand it and then write your notes. Don't copy-paste the textbook.

dasfas

HSC
If you're rote learning, you're not understanding the content. This means that you will not be able to perform on the harder questions and will definitely limit your ability to do well.

Chill these holidays, they will be the last good ones for a year. You should start studying a few weeks before going back. Get ahead in maths, definitely write some notes as there's a lot to cover, read ahead for econ and make notes. Try to read your english texts consistently during the hols (this isn't really studying)

Edzion education

HSC
I would recommend learning ahead, this usually gives students an edge in the second term which is crucial if you want to get the top rank in your school as top students typically rank neck and neck in the third and fourth assessment taks.

idkkdi

HSC
If you're rote learning, you're not understanding the content. This means that you will not be able to perform on the harder questions and will definitely limit your ability to do well.

Chill these holidays, they will be the last good ones for a year. You should start studying a few weeks before going back. Get ahead in maths, definitely write some notes as there's a lot to cover, read ahead for econ and make notes. Try to read your english texts consistently during the hols (this isn't really studying)
help me not rote learn precipitate tests/colours and complexation confirmation tests plox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)