What raw mark is needed for a band 6? (1 Viewer)

hon1hon2hon3

HSC
I m just curious . . i checked that raw mark cut off table, but they dont have it for ESL . . and its like 2003 . SO just want to ask i think i can get 80 as a raw mark . . will that be able to get my a band 6? or a high band 5 maybe ?
ANything about band 5 i am happy :hammer:

jazzjazz

HSC
I think u need to get 85+ for your raw mark or even higher, since this year exam was not hard and only around 2-3 percent of ESL student get into band 6. 80 as a raw might get you into mid band 5, about 84-86 i would say

yvonnechan

HSC
N/A
I heard anything below 90 as a raw mark will be scaled down
80 as a raw mark will put you into high 70s, maybe 78

shais

HSC
yvonnechan said:
I heard anything below 90 as a raw mark will be scaled down
80 as a raw mark will put you into high 70s, maybe 78
you are talking about every subject here . unless you are in top 1 percent of every subject u don't get scaled down .

hon1hon2hon3

HSC
Mmm . . . to my above post, I believe myself that i can get a band 5. So thank you for your useless reply and maybe try a bit harder next time.

SimonLee13

HSC
Davadale said:
you need to get a raw mark of 96 to get a band 4. What does this exam involve? Underline the adjective?
ESL scales better than standard english?

SH33P

k lol...
HSC
what is the general raw mark needed for any exam?

like ive always assumed that the top 10% of the people who do an exam get band 6... cause its based on rank...

if the exam was really hard u cant say that anyone over 90% gets band 6... thats crap cause many people might not get that if it is a hard exam...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
SH33P said:
what is the general raw mark needed for any exam?

like ive always assumed that the top 10% of the people who do an exam get band 6... cause its based on rank...

if the exam was really hard u cant say that anyone over 90% gets band 6... thats crap cause many people might not get that if it is a hard exam...

It is NOT the top 10%.

In some subjects it is less than 5%.

It is determined every year during the marking process based on the difficulty of the questions, the marking guidelines and the performance descriptor bands (the ones that say what each Band means a student should be abe to do). A team of 6 markers for each subject do this as part of the overall marking process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)