what can i hope for- improving performance (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
I thought I nailed this exam on every question, but only just now I've realised that in the 15 marker on improving performance I talked about the wrong thing. I know the coaching considerations when establishing training programs, but for some reason in the exam I thought it was asking for training for skill and improvement.
So I talked about- a variety of practice drills, analysis of technique & technique correction.

I answered this well and in a lot of detail, but what kind of mark can i expect considering I obviously said nothing about periodisation, macrocycles, microcyles, long term- short term plans.

I'm annoid though because now that I think about it what I talked about would still be neccessary considerations for a coach, so really I feel I'm only wrong due to the nature of the syllabus. Allwell.....

Last edited:

Robbie_1988

HSC
Ah mate I feel your pain. I realised I talked about the wrong thing too.

I studied so hard and new everything off by heart but my flaw was that I didnt ever take notice of the sections in the syllabus for e.g. "coaching considerations blah blah".

I was sitting there thinking "oh sh*t. Which section do I talk about? Even though i know the content I don't know which things are in which section."

Like you, I was going brilliant up till improving performance. Luckily I did talk about periodisation/phases of training, long term plans and optimising performance. BUT I left out data gathering/analysis and elements of a training session and overtraining. I was spewing.

I think it might take a chunk out of my marks and I might disappoint my teachers badly. If they're reading on these forums I want them to know i'm sorry.

But anyway mate, what's done is done. Don't let it get you down, worry about the present or your next exam. Don't let this be an excuse to let it all slide now.

Tim035

HSC
I'm exactly the same as you aswell, I never learnt the really big headings I only ever learnt all the medium heading i.e. overtraining, training for flexibility, physiological adaptations to training etc etc... I never looked at the massive bold heading at the top of each syllabus in which these come under so I guess thats my down fall.
You didn't need to talk about elements of a training session and overtraining. As it said coaching considerations in ESTABLISHING training programs.

That part of the syllabus only comprimises of:
- The yearly plan (macro cycles, micro cycles, periodisation. High intense training followed by periods of recovery etc etc..)
- Optimising performance of the athletes
- Data gathering and analysis

I touched on the coach using video analysis and sharring resources and expertise with other coaches in order to improve the technique of his atheletes. And I also talked about how technique correction can optimise performance through more biomechanically sufficient movements etc... So I'm really really hoping for still a
7-8/15.
I know I got a 4 multiple choice wrong and forgot to talk about overuse injuries in the 5 marker in sports medicine but everything else I still think I answered as well as possible. Unfortunatly this'll knock me out of band 6, but I'm going to be really crushed if I get anything below 80-82.

mr_anderson808

HSC
Guys, I feel your pain. I wrote 3 pages of the wrong stuff too. Though I feel I nailed the rest of the paper.

Cocoa_killa

Buffalo
HSC
I thought I was the only one for this section... The test as a whole was pretty much easy and felt like it was a breeze... I talked about the tapering period and coaching considerations in regards to age, learning ability, skill development... I didnt even mention the macro meso and microcycles... So I'm pretty much in the same boat... Anyways, If u did kill the other sections and maintain a decent mak like u said, All things should be in order

adrenaline rush

Schoolies 1-18/Dec/06
HSC
Damn syllabus. Its like u have to know that more than the info itself because u can wing the info. When they said establishing training programs im guessing they just meant that section, rather than describing the seasons of training (not under that heading anyway). So... my answer consisted of just mentioning the total aim of the seasons (rather than seperating them), macro- and microcycles, periodisation, tapering, overtraining and peaking. That took four pages in itself and i had ten minutes left so i thought SCREW IT i'll recheck my m/c. Completely rejected data gathering.

But after the exam i found out most people wrote about the elements of a training session. I dont think any one person in our class wrote as close to the syllabus as i did, but i think its unfair if they lose a whole lot of marks because of it. Its still under damn 'coaching considerations'. But im glad i took the time to practically memorise the syllabus. Seriously though, ABSOLUTELY STUPID QU.

Tim035

HSC
It'll be interesting what they decide to do in marking the paper. Because that section on establishing training programs is not even a whole a4 page in the text book, and in the excel pdhpe book they talk about it for 4 sentences lol lol. I honestly think only a VERY small percentage of the state will have talked about the correct thing.
So either approx 80% of the state fails that question or they are leanient in what they accept.

4DOGS

HSC
from the syllabus
establishing training programs
-determined by phases of competition
-linked to long-term training plans, eg year, season
- designed to optimise the performance of athletes e.g individual, team
- data gathering and analysis of training and performance

i managed to right 4 and half pages on this i also included tapering, peaking and variety and goals in my answer. i didnt really expect it and i had forgotten the headings but somehow i managed to include all the stuff it asks.

as for tim my mate wrote a solid response in the trial exam but it was on something completely different to the question he got zero but i think they will be trying to find stuff that is relevant to the question.

n3ver_again

HSC
i was fortunate because i had that section of the syllabus in an acronym so i managed, i left out one point i think
but i don't think they can give you marks no matter how solid your answer is if you don't account for the right syllabus points, it sucks

year13

HSC
i was happy with the exam, everything went well up untill the 15marker in improving performance. i thought i did ok till i got home and realised i left out elemnts of a training session. i didnt realise there was so many parts associated with coaching considerations. apart from that tho, i think it went well. a score between 75 and 80 i'll be happy with

4DOGS

HSC
I dont think you had to discuss elements of a training session i.e skill instruction, warm up cool down, conditioning etc.

Mitch.au

HSC
Lol, i just talked about the Principles of Training and combining it with elements of a training session. I.e Progressive Overload in the conditioning phase of the training session. Variety in warm up/cool down etc.

minnie3

HSC
i was cheering when we got that establishing training programs question. it was the very last thing i did the night before at like 10:45pm before my brain shut down for the night. it makes all that study worthwhile!

guernica3

HSC
Phew, I feel a heap better after reading this.
I wrote about 11 pages covering 'establishing training programs' so optimising performance, phases including peaking and tapering, and then the rest i got confused and talked about environmental considerations (acclimatisation and altitude) psychological and also dietary. So much writing about so much irrelevant stuff.

jessbo555

HSC
That was.. the GAYEST question ever.. :burn:and judging by the fact, going off what you guys are saying, i wrote ENTIRELY the wrong thing.. hence.. resulting.. in a ZERO OUT OF FIFTEEN for that section.. stab meeee. The core's i killed though. :)

guernica3

HSC
Realistically how does that work.
Like if you write the wrong thing, but have a good depth of understanding etc. Will you get zero. Or will you get some marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)