Western Sydney University and University of New South Wales Collaborative Program (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This thread is for students who are thinking of studying Engineering beyond the HSC.

Western Sydney University (WSU) and the University of New South Wales (UNSW) have worked together to develop an advanced engineering degree called:

Bachelor of Engineering Advanced (Honours) WSU-UNSW Collaborative Program

:wsu: :unsw:

According to WSU, this degree brings you the expertise of two world-class universities. This degree is designed for high achieving students to undertake advanced engineering topics and gain substantial research experience.

This degree will be delivered in partnership with UNSW, via WSU's Engineering Innovation Hub, a new facility in Parramatta as part of the Parramatta City campus. A few videos providing further detail into this partnership are included below:

You can choose from 3 majors, which are:
  • Electrical​
  • Mechanical​
  • Robotics and Mechatronics​
In terms of program structure, students will complete their first and second years at WSU's Engineering Innovation Hub. Once they reach their third year, they may have the option to continue their studies with Western or transition to UNSW for years 3 and 4.

This degree has a minimum academic threshold that students must meet in order to remain enrolled in the degree. Students must maintain at least a credit average, i.e. at least a GPA of 5.0. Students who don't meet this academic performance requirement will be transferred to Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) program.

The degree is set to begin in March 2022. The ATAR requirement, which has now been specified, is 83.

The admission criteria for this degree involves:
  • Assumed knowledge: 2 units of Science, 2 units of English and Mathematics at Band 5 or higher.
  • Recommended studies: Mathematics Extension 1 or Mathematics Extension 2 plus Physics.

Here is a link to the degree for more information:

All the best! :D

Duskheaven

HSC
Surprised at this collab, honestly, since it's an easy way for UNSW to poach WSU's best and brightest. Increasing UNSW's ranking (and decreasing WSU's) without any change to teaching methods/industry links/other services etc. Obviously, must be some other part of the deal I'm not seeing.

(That being said, looks like an excellent degree for students to enter!)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Surprised at this collab, honestly, since it's an easy way for UNSW to poach WSU's best and brightest. Increasing UNSW's ranking (and decreasing WSU's) without any change to teaching methods/industry links/other services etc. Obviously, must be some other part of the deal I'm not seeing.

(That being said, looks like an excellent degree for students to enter!)
I don't believe the collaboration is of an adversarial nature. It is essentially intended for WSU students to undertake a higher quality program that combines both WSU's Bachelor of Engineering Advanced (Honours) and UNSW's reputation in engineering, allowing students to be exposed to a dual perspective regarding engineering education and ultimately experience the best of both universities.

While transferring to UNSW may indeed be made easier under this collaboration, I don't think this will necessarily lead to a higher number of transfers, particularly because of the expected quality of this degree (which as you said looks quite high), as opposed to, for instance, WSU's standard Bachelor of Engineering (Honours), in which case a transfer to UNSW may appear more rational. Given UNSW's highly regarded engineering program and its overall ranking, I highly doubt UNSW needs high achieving WSU students to improve. Similarly, I doubt WSU's rank will decrease as a result of this collaboration especially given a positive trend which has resulted in the fact that they are now officially in the top 1% as per THE's rankings.

Corporate tenants also need to be considered. For example, corporate tenancy in the Parramatta City campus played an important role in allowing WSU's School of Business to increase the employment opportunities that it provides to its students, including those at Big 4 accounting firms. Because they are implementing the same model at the Engineering Innovation Hub, and in addition to the collaboration with UNSW, I think it would be safe to expect a further increase in the number of employment opportunities that WSU can facilitate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)