Welcome to Faculty of Commerce and Economics (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I had accounting 1A this sem, it's quite enlightening, if not tedious and boring at times. Of course, that doesnt say much about the accounting major itself, but yeah : "very useful but boring" is what it seems to be from 1A.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
mnbvc said:
Originally posted by Minai
With a BCom/BArts or BCom/BSocSci, u can double major in Commerce and single major in Arts (3 majors all up)
but in a BCom/BScience, or BCom/BEngineering, u can only do a single major for each degree

so u cant do a double major if u wanna do comm/law?

are you sure about only having 3 majors for BCom/BArts at UNSW? That doesn't quite follow the graduates's pattern of study, one of the chix (she got a university medal) in the booklets had a total of 4 majors, she did BEco (Economics, econometrics)/BArts (adv jap studies, policy studies or sumfin like that). i'm absolutely sure she did 4 majors!

And yes, how's intl bus, and marketing like at unsw?

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
and plus, i rang up the guys at UNSW and they said u can do 4 majors if u do BCom/BArts

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
"Officially" you can only do 3 majors, but yeah you can do 4 because of credit point availability

Anyway, International Business is pretty good in 1st year, interesting stuff to learn, and its pretty easy too (I got 88 HD for IBUS1101 and 86 HD for IBUS1102)
I wouldn't recommend it as a major though - it gets tedious in 2nd year, and pretty much boring cause its all nitty gritty economic stuff

Either way, the major is being restructured I think, because the School of International Business merged with the School of Industrial Relations. I'm currently the last cohort of students doing IBUS2104 Korean Business (they are abolishing the subject), kinda sad really

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
"Officially" you can only do 3 majors, but yeah you can do 4 because of credit point availability

Anyway, International Business is pretty good in 1st year, interesting stuff to learn, and its pretty easy too (I got 88 HD for IBUS1101 and 86 HD for IBUS1102)
I wouldn't recommend it as a major though - it gets tedious in 2nd year, and pretty much boring cause its all nitty gritty economic stuff

Either way, the major is being restructured I think, because the School of International Business merged with the School of Industrial Relations. I'm currently the last cohort of students doing IBUS2104 Korean Business (they are abolishing the subject), kinda sad really
IBUS sounds like an easy major which u can use to pull up ur wam..no wonder it got canned -.-

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
truly-in-bliss said:
hey seraphim!.. thankz heapz for the rundown before exam :p
no probz ...u learn 90% of ur stuff wen ure (*tryin to*) teach sum1 else :D

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
enak said:
Yes, enlightening :p
which "enlightening" do you mean :p

I want 2 majors too! But i have no idea what to choose.. acct? finance? marketing? actuarial? infosys? ..
what's the hardest major out of all of them, what's the easiest, what's the one that'll get you most $$$, what's the most boring, and what would you recommend?

thankes in advance!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
accounting is easy but boring... actuarial is more interesting but is harder and needs lotta commitment. idunno but i guess the highest expected $$$ would b from accounting? the prob. of getting an actl job cancels out its relatively higher salaries...and in combined degrees, u dont have another commerce major 2 fall back on. theres loads of ppl doinf finance and its prlly the most flexible, careerwise... the rest im not very familiar with

just my limited perception, someone else what prolly give a better overview.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
hey. don't forget to discount the one years worth of salary if u do com/sci. one more year of uni studies. some people hate accounting, well make that most people. some crazy people like myself don't mind it. its funny how lots of people hate accounting yet major in it:p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
i thinks its the information systems subject infs1603 computer information systems

B

Bambul

You can, and a number of people do. A business law major is a good compliment to an accounting major. I don't do business law, but I have done some business law subjects (for professional accreditation).

If you are thinking of doing that then here is what I suggest you do:

In 1st session of 1st year you have 3 core subjects that you have to do, you get one elective. Do LEGT1711 (Legal Environment of Commerce) as that elective, it is the first business law subject and also a requirement for getting professional accresitation for CPA/CA. That way you can get a feel for what business law is like. If you don't like it then you can change major and so something else.

Because 1st year has 6 core subjects and only 2 electives it is very easy to change majors up until 2nd year (it is still possible after that, but difficult).

aimNuni

wow..

3 core?...that is heavy....dont know if i can pass...is it really hard if u got 3 core?(although only 2 electives)

wyho

HSC
N/A
HI EVERYONE IM A NEW MEMBER SORRY IF I ASK A STUPID QUESTION BUT:

i juz haf some confusion abt some courses at UNI ... b/eco and b/comm

i wana ask what are the career opportunities for these 2 course?
do they both lead to accounting career?
if i wana become a financial advisor then which one shud i choose?

Conspirocy

HSC
wyho said:
HI EVERYONE IM A NEW MEMBER SORRY IF I ASK A STUPID QUESTION BUT:

i juz haf some confusion abt some courses at UNI ... b/eco and b/comm

i wana ask what are the career opportunities for these 2 course?
do they both lead to accounting career?
if i wana become a financial advisor then which one shud i choose?
Hey im first year doing Economics at UNSW. I gotta say that I spend my whole day with commerce people, and havent met one person who is doing a B Econ.

The only difference between a B Econ and the B Com is that in the B Econ you have to do one of the four Majors offered by the facualty of Economics, So Economics, Econometrics, Economic History, or Financial Economics. In the economics degree you then have the choice of a second major or some minors. The second major can be from any school of Commerce and Economics, except Actuarial studies. So you can do Economics and....Accounting, Finance, Business Law, Marketing, etc, etc.

So In the Commerce Degree you have a free choice of the two majors you can do. You arent forced to do economics. And I think you probably might have a couple more units of credit to play around with.

As for Arts, you can do an economics major in that course as well.

So really the back door into business area degrees is Economics because for 2005 it was 5 marks lower. And the corse is so structured in the first year that you are doing exactly the same subjects as the commerce people, so if in the future you want more flexibility, work a little hard 1st year and transfer.

But as if you wouldnt want to do economics.

Hope that helps

hieutu612

HSC
Argh!

Can someone please scan me a page from their textbook or show me a page of their notes from whatever it is you learn in commerce? I've always thought of doing a commerce degree but right now I am studying for my HSC Business Studies exam and I am getting soooo booored with it. I wanna know if the stuff you learn in a commerce degree is like the bullshit I'm cramming into my head at the moment (which I'm hoping will stay in there until my exam is over).
I have no idea what to do at uni now. All my course preferences are commerce courses and I don't fancy ending up as an accountant or some human resource manager, financial advisor, sit in an office writing up reports on business performance and blah blah blah ieurojvhjfhlkj02q3409q34otijeoiujaknkdjhfl. It all sounds so boooring. You wake up at 8, get to work by 9 and go home at 4 or 5. That's the average working day. It's just like going to school again except you don't get to muck around with your friends and have fun. I don't wanna grow up >< There's no exciting job out there especially when most things are somehow related to business. It’s all capitalism’s fault. It’s like a part of pop culture or something; when I went onto the "Tertiary Study" forum, the "Faculty of Commerce" was being viewed by the greatest number of people. Geez...sorry, I got carried away... spending your time studying for about 2 months can drive you a bit crazy. Anyway can someone please be able to show me something they're doing in commerce so I know what I'm getting myself into so I can get myself out of it if it sucks?

Thanks

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
hieutu612 said:
Can someone please scan me a page from their textbook or show me a page of their notes from whatever it is you learn in commerce? I've always thought of doing a commerce degree but right now I am studying for my HSC Business Studies exam and I am getting soooo booored with it. I wanna know if the stuff you learn in a commerce degree is like the bullshit I'm cramming into my head at the moment (which I'm hoping will stay in there until my exam is over).
I have no idea what to do at uni now. All my course preferences are commerce courses and I don't fancy ending up as an accountant or some human resource manager, financial advisor, sit in an office writing up reports on business performance and blah blah blah ieurojvhjfhlkj02q3409q34otijeoiujaknkdjhfl. It all sounds so boooring. You wake up at 8, get to work by 9 and go home at 4 or 5. That's the average working day. It's just like going to school again except you don't get to muck around with your friends and have fun. I don't wanna grow up >< There's no exciting job out there especially when most things are somehow related to business. It’s all capitalism’s fault. It’s like a part of pop culture or something; when I went onto the "Tertiary Study" forum, the "Faculty of Commerce" was being viewed by the greatest number of people. Geez...sorry, I got carried away... spending your time studying for about 2 months can drive you a bit crazy. Anyway can someone please be able to show me something they're doing in commerce so I know what I'm getting myself into so I can get myself out of it if it sucks?

Thanks
well, I can't show you how exciting it is.. basically, find out what you enjoy/get the best marks in at highschool..

best person to talk to is your careers advisor.

also try to ask people on open/info days in uni and in person. if we show a random page you what we're doing, you'll just see words.. as just that, words, nothing more.

good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)