Virgil (1 Viewer)

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
The Aeneid section is huge.

any key passages that might be included in the exam?

trivia

novemember
HSC
yrtherenonames said:
Virigl: Translation: Cerberus+Punishments for people who lie on money and don't share it round
Comment: Dido+Deiphobus+Meeting Aeneas' dad
yrtherenonames posted this.. seems like good guesses. basically passages that relate well to the focus areas are likely to be included. "Heroes and heroic qualities" might relate to the parade of future heroes near the end of the book... maybe?

when you think about it, with grammar, translation and comment we're looking at about 6 extracts... so i don't think focusing on small bits is necessarily that useful.

i don't really know though... exam is so soon! :eek:

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
trivia said:
yrtherenonames posted this.. seems like good guesses. basically passages that relate well to the focus areas are likely to be included. "Heroes and heroic qualities" might relate to the parade of future heroes near the end of the book... maybe?

when you think about it, with grammar, translation and comment we're looking at about 6 extracts... so i don't think focusing on small bits is necessarily that useful.

i don't really know though... exam is so soon! :eek:
haha yea i am so screwed

aimstar

HSC
focus areas

i think im a little confused, there is no english translation in the hsc like in school exams coz its all covered in assessments, looking at last yrs hsc paper, the big 8 marker questions were just commenting on the extract given ie stylistics, does that mean that the whole focus area stuff doesnt need as much emphasis in studying?

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
are you serious, vigirl is much shorter than the huge slab of cicero we have to study and atleast the aeneid has a story so it's easier to remeber

even though they are both 400 lines, there are much more words of cicero that have to be translated

HSC
Hey hey its Omar Salem!
Dis is Nathan Brown
Cicero isn't that long cos he just keeps saying the same thing "Well u know Roman values are long gone, but having said that Caelius really sticks to them and look to be honest having said that no really listen up here, man that Clodia, she be such a skank".
24hrs till its all over :D:D

Jermir Caesar

HSC
N/A
Yeah true,

Cicero's vocab is limited to the different descriptions of whores and their activities, and he kind of repeats his arguments word for word, again and again.

Virgil has to talk about Tityos and all that terminology about intestines being gorged out, so there are more words to learn.

But then, Virgil is more fun, and the unseen is easier because you can use the metre - that's why the prose unseen is worth 1.5 times as much.

How many unseens did you guys get in all year?

I think our class ended up doing about 25 for continuers, and 15 for Extension.

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
exactly every line is like a new word. anyway ive given up, hopefully only the first half of the virgil will be covered :(

kathjs

HSC
Don't like your chances with that. We were told that they tend to take one from the beginning, one from near to the end, to make sure you've done it all.

Jermir Caesar

HSC
N/A
The Aeneid can be found in libraries by the author David West, or on some sites which hold archives of Latin texts.

You don't do Latin though... are you just interested in the story or are you going to study it?

Jermir Caesar

HSC
N/A
Yeah its pretty mad stuff - the Classics rules!

If your into epic myths though, check out the Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer - non-abridged. They are the original texts while the Aeneid is kinda stolen from it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)