uts law (1 Viewer)

beetree1

HSC
how hard is it to get into UTS law??
I
am highly aware of the ATAR and selection ranks guides available on UAC etc but i feel like they are unrealistic as the lowest ones mostly come from people with disadvantages, which I am not applicable for. Does anyone here currently study law at UTS and wanna share with me what their ATAR was :D

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Not hard (for someone from the likes of you) ofc
Weren’t u on pathway to 99 (given by u doing an estimate on here b4) or like u said “can I still get 99” and ppl were like yes u can

Last edited:

Greninja340

HSC
I
am highly aware of the ATAR and selection ranks guides available on UAC etc but i feel like they are unrealistic as the lowest ones mostly come from people with disadvantages, which I am not applicable for. Does anyone here currently study law at UTS and wanna share with me what their ATAR was :D
the lowest selection rank takes into account atar + bonus points (Sports, disadvantage, etc).

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
The best one to look at at is the median atar and lowest selection rank, just the atar isn't used anyway (I think), it's just for some people they don't get any adjustment points and their atar is their selection rank. Adjustment points aren't only disabilities and disadvantages, you can get points for getting good marks in subjects that are related to the degree.

_rakelt

HSC

looks like the lowest atar to get into uts law last year was 86.40 ?

beetree1

HSC
The best one to look at at is the median atar and lowest selection rank, just the atar isn't used anyway (I think), it's just for some people they don't get any adjustment points and their atar is their selection rank. Adjustment points aren't only disabilities and disadvantages, you can get points for getting good marks in subjects that are related to the degree.
yep but those points dont apply for law

idkkdi

HSC
I
96,97 - lowest

quickoats

HSC
Ik a lot of people with low-mid 90s who got into UTS/UNSW law - only USyd law tends to be quite tight on admissions. Law is quite a cash cow for unis (cheap degree to administer as there’s no labs/pracs and they can charge the highest fee band) so they are quite lenient on admissions. USyd’s law cash cow comes in the for of their postgrad JD degree.

If it is your intention to be a lawyer, then I would recommend applying to every undergraduate law school, including the “less prestigious” ones. Unless you’re looking at the big firms, uni doesn’t really matter too much. However, doing the JD route can be quite costly and time consuming so you might as well go straight into law school, as there’s no guarantee that you’d get into a “prestigious” JD program after doing a different bachelors.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Ik a lot of people with low-mid 90s who got into UTS/UNSW law - only USyd law tends to be quite tight on admissions. Law is quite a cash cow for unis (cheap degree to administer as there’s no labs/pracs and they can charge the highest fee band) so they are quite lenient on admissions. USyd’s law cash cow comes in the for of their postgrad JD degree.

If it is your intention to be a lawyer, then I would recommend applying to every undergraduate law school, including the “less prestigious” ones. Unless you’re looking at the big firms, uni doesn’t really matter too much. However, doing the JD route can be quite costly and time consuming so you might as well go straight into law school, as there’s no guarantee that you’d get into a “prestigious” JD program after doing a different bachelors.
i want ur atar

beetree1

HSC

low 90s for unsw too? did they get a really high LAT?

beetree1

HSC
You will not get into UNSW with low 90s.
I am currently at UTS with 97.50. I applied for UNSW and did not get in.
However, I am aware of someone with ~98 and got in.
Was this back when LAT didnt exist? because wasn't it as difficult to get into as Usyd back then

quickoats

HSC
Was this back when LAT didnt exist? because wasn't it as difficult to get into as Usyd back then
Yeah most likely this was way back when the cutoffs were stupidly high because of a lack of transparency (iirc 99.7+).

From my cohort last year I know a few people hovering around the low 90s (don't know if they got EAS or not) that nabbed offers from UNSW. I think they were from the January round though...

This is probably a function of UNSW's cutoff being a lot lower than advertised in general (https://www.smh.com.au/education/ns...-with-atars-as-low-as-30-20160126-gmdvr6.html) and a scramble to grab domestic students.

beetree1

HSC
Yeah most likely this was way back when the cutoffs were stupidly high because of a lack of transparency (iirc 99.7+).

From my cohort last year I know a few people hovering around the low 90s (don't know if they got EAS or not) that nabbed offers from UNSW. I think they were from the January round though...

This is probably a function of UNSW's cutoff being a lot lower than advertised in general (https://www.smh.com.au/education/ns...-with-atars-as-low-as-30-20160126-gmdvr6.html) and a scramble to grab domestic students.
low 90s.. thats a first wow
interesting ...... thanks!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)