(usyd) med sci -> med (1 Viewer)

chickencoop

HSC
I know this gets asked to death, and i have already trekked through the forum reading materials regarding this, but how does one transfer from B Medsci to a medicine/doctor of medicine degree at USYD?

1) I know all about the high GPA, but i'm fuzzy on UMAT and GAMSAT, and i am also unsure if we are only allowed to transfer from Medsci to med once we have completed the entire 3 years of it, or if we can transfer halfway through the B Medsci degree at USYD

2) I am currently in Yr 12 and am expecting an ATAR of around low 90's and have applied through E12 to get into medsci at USYD. After reading through both this forum and whirlpool, i've come to the general conclusion that unless you undertake an honours/etc and major in something in Medsci, then the employment opportunities are 'fairly grim', but regardless *insert some passionate extract about desires to get into medicine*, i am seeking to get into medicine eventually using Medsci as a stepping stone.

3) Does USYD/Uni's in general provide information on transfers, or is that more of a 'ask and you get' topic? I understand that some people move onto med through a graduate degree or something... but once again, can you get into medicine from medsci in the first/second year or do you have to wait?

-> also has anyone else known people who have attempted to get into med this way and failed? if so, how and why? (USYD-wise that is)

Thanks so much. If i do get into med i promise to buy every person who contributes a lollipop of their choice :D

Last edited:

A1P

HSC
Transfer is often a false term to describe these pathways into Medicine. Generally there are three types:

Type 1: some undergrad Med unis allow only their own MedSc students, during 1st or 2nd year, to apply for 1st year Med. They either have to have exceptional GPA to get a direct transfer, otherwise it's a tough competition against 2-300 other MedSc students for maybe 10-20 places.

Type 2: you study a degree course either MedSc or any, during 1st/2nd year apply for undergrad Med at the same uni and/or other unis too. This goes through the same process as for Y12s: GPA instead of ATAR, plus UMAT and Interview. It's competitive entry not a transfer.

Type 3: you complete a degree either MedSc or any, then apply for postgrad Med called MD at the same or other unis. USyd is this type so you cannot transfer from halfway MedSc. Virtually all postgrad Med entry requires GAMSAT plus a good GPA and Interview.

Bottom line is do MedSc if you like to but MedSc is neither necessary nor the only choice to "transfer" to Medicine.

chickencoop

HSC
Transfer is often a false term to describe these pathways into Medicine. Generally there are three types:

Type 1: some undergrad Med unis allow only their own MedSc students, during 1st or 2nd year, to apply for 1st year Med. They either have to have exceptional GPA to get a direct transfer, otherwise it's a tough competition against 2-300 other MedSc students for maybe 10-20 places.

Type 2: you study a degree course either MedSc or any, during 1st/2nd year apply for undergrad Med at the same uni and/or other unis too. This goes through the same process as for Y12s: GPA instead of ATAR, plus UMAT and Interview. It's competitive entry not a transfer.

Type 3: you complete a degree either MedSc or any, then apply for postgrad Med called MD at the same or other unis. USyd is this type so you cannot transfer from halfway MedSc. Virtually all postgrad Med entry requires GAMSAT plus a good GPA and Interview.

Bottom line is do MedSc if you like to but MedSc is neither necessary nor the only choice to "transfer" to Medicine.
Aaah i see, so what would you recommend? I am rather competitive myself but ofc i am unable to make an objective statement on the performance of the other Medsci students. However in saying this, i dont know if i can get an exceptional GPA either ://

Also for type 2, does this mean that during my 1st/2nd year at USYD medsci, i apply through UAC for undergrad med, or is it internally within USYD?

thanks <3

A1P

HSC
Type 1 transfer is only available with a couple of unis (Unsw + Monash I believe but you need to check their websites to be sure). And note you have to be student there.

Type 2 applications are called non-standard, although you can study 1st/2nd year at any uni only five unis accept non-standard applicants: JCU, UTas, JMP, WSU & UNSW. In your case with ATAR low 90 UNSW is out of bound since even the highest GPA 7 won't combine to the equivalent 96.0 minimum required (unless you're rural). Apply through UAC for JMP & WSU (and maybe JCU too not sure) and directly to UTas.

This table has some useful info
http://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/threads/2016-17-med-schools-selection-criteria-for-y12s.31845/

Last edited:

iMMORTAL153

HSC
Uni Grad
To get into USYD Med you will need a GPA of 5+ (Credit average - very easy to get), and after that threshold has been met a GAMSAT score of 70+ (Interview cut off is 68 but realistically 70+). 70+ equates to approx. 94th percentile + which is not so easy to achieve. Applications occur in third year through UAC and directly through USYD. Your course or being a USYD student will give you no advantage. If you want to do an undergrad degree which directly transfers into that universities med cohort, try Flinders or Monash who take something like 75% of applicants from their own universities.

chickencoop

HSC
To get into USYD Med you will need a GPA of 5+ (Credit average - very easy to get), and after that threshold has been met a GAMSAT score of 70+ (Interview cut off is 68 but realistically 70+). 70+ equates to approx. 94th percentile + which is not so easy to achieve. Applications occur in third year through UAC and directly through USYD. Your course or being a USYD student will give you no advantage. If you want to do an undergrad degree which directly transfers into that universities med cohort, try Flinders or Monash who take something like 75% of applicants from their own universities.
hmm ok, i guess im getting a GPA of 5+ and GAMSAT over 70+... Is that application in 3rd year a graduate or undergrad degree into USYD med? sorry, im not really clear with uni terms ( having no siblings)

Medman

HSC
You can apply as an undergraduate in your last year of your course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)