!!!!urgent help needed on moving schools (1 Viewer)

Jes03

HSC
it doesn't help that we have 10,000+ students taking selective school exams in yr 6 for entrance lol. Sometimes when you're placing in the top 200 in the state just to get into a school, you have a huge ego.
That's even more intense than I imagined. So its like an ingrained culture I guess, beginning for some year 6 students. If more than 10000 are applying, how many of these people actually get selected?

idkkdi

HSC
That's even more intense than I imagined. So its like an ingrained culture I guess, beginning for some year 6 students. If more than 10000 are applying, how many of these people actually get selected?
it's not for some. the 10,000 who try out are normally the people who actually stand a chance of getting in in the first place, except for a select few unaware people, but generally if you are unaware u wouldn't get in.

Realistically, only like the top 10 selective schools are actually good. So 1500 students. But this isn't really 10000 applicants. When comparing to the state it's more like 50000. Assuming 20,000 missing people for miscellaneous reasons such as going to a private which is possibly better.

if we count in lower ranked schools/schools with selective classes only, then around 4000 positions.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
my bad 15,000 for 4000 places is more accurate.

But this isn't where it all starts.

It starts in a year 4 test for opportunity classes for yr 5 and 6 which are offered at designated schools by NSW government.
11,000 applicants for 1,700 positions. These 1,700 people normally take up the majority of top selective in the selective test. So the process really begins in year 4.

Last edited:

Jes03

HSC
my bad 15,000 for 4000 places is more accurate.

But this isn't where it all starts.

It starts in a year 4 test for opportunity classes for yr 5 and 6 which are offered at designated schools by NSW government.
11,000 applicants for 1,700 positions. These 1,700 people normally take up the majority of top selective in the selective test. So the process really beings in year 4.
That is still quite a lot of students for only 4000 positions. What is with NSW? Year 4? These students are still kids and they are being forced into the education system with such a competitive nature. Do you go to one of these schools?

idkkdi

HSC
That is still quite a lot of students for only 4000 positions. What is with NSW? Year 4? These students are still kids and they are being forced into the education system with such a competitive nature. Do you go to one of these schools?
hm. let's just say i scored pretty high in those tests lol.
But tbh this system is kind of fair. Otherwise only the rich catchment areas would have good schools. And prior to selective schools, private schools absolutely dominated the scene. These schools are perfectly fair to get into as it is based on a test that anyone can study for, and that theoretically would mean that extremely smart people who prepare adequately would not be left in a place where they wouldn't have the means to use their ability.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
hm. let's just say i scored very high in those tests lol.
But tbh this system is kind of fair. Otherwise only the rich catchment areas would have good schools. And prior to selective schools, private schools absolutely dominated the scene. These schools are perfectly fair to get into as it is based on a test that anyone can study for, and that theoretically would mean that extremely smart people who prepare adequately would not be left in a place where they wouldn't have the means to use their ability.
also note that avid students can transfer into these schools in later years, albeit the minimal transfer positions offered.

Jes03

HSC
also note that avid students can transfer into these schools in later years, albeit the minimal transfer positions offered.
It seems like a fair system from what you have described. So what's the deal with public schools? Are these regarded as substandard?

idkkdi

HSC
if interested in the difficulty of these yr 6 exams, which are probably a fair bit harder than naplan yr 9, look at sample papers here https://bettereducation.com.au/resources/pasttestpapers.aspx.
It seems like a fair system from what you have described. So what's the deal with public schools? Are these regarded as substandard?
we have 70000 students per year lol. 4000 is nothing. We probably have the usual public school stuff going on in public schools while at selective schools you have people who are more concerned about their studies and other normal dodgy behaviour is the minority.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
Might also be worth noting that the top private schools are much more expensive than they are in Brisbane. Brisbane boys is at 24k per year whereas we have schools here reaching 35k+. This might explain more snobby behaviour.

Jes03

HSC
Might also be worth noting that the top private schools are much more expensive than they are in Brisbane. Brisbane boys is at 24k per year whereas we have schools here reaching 35k+. This might explain more snobby behaviour.
Yeah that's definitely a competitive school, but NSW seems extremely competitive. Even though its a public school, there are still a few students concerned about their academics. I guess in any selective school, the students know that 'dodgy behaviour' will not be tolerated so they aren't going to take the risk.
There's also the fact that there isn't this strict divide between selective or private or public. Like some public schools in Queensland really are terrible, but some are much better and almost to the standard of a private but they just don't have the name.

idkkdi

HSC
Yeah that's definitely a competitive school, but NSW seems extremely competitive. Even though its a public school, there are still a few students concerned about their academics. I guess in any selective school, the students know that 'dodgy behaviour' will not be tolerated so they aren't going to take the risk.
There's also the fact that there isn't this strict divide between selective or private or public. Like some public schools in Queensland really are terrible, but some are much better and almost to the standard of a private but they just don't have the name.
Huh wdym though it’s a public school? Any school in nsw that the government doesn’t fully fund we call private.

Jes03

HSC
Brisbane boys is private right?
From my knowledge, yes. Any school name with "college" is pretty much private. E.g. "Sheldon College", "Redlands College", "Ormiston College" Sheldon is probably the most competitive. However, Brisbane State High School is a selective public school, it's not private and still very competitive. I don't have any friends that go to private or selective schools so I don't have all the facts but just the general attitude around the topics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)