urgent!!da 1st assessment!! (1 Viewer)

choc-chip

HSC
'How young overseas chinese adapt to new culture in australia and how to make this transition to be easier and smoother for them?'
any tips for dat?

^___^
HSC
haha, u want personal experience or facts and statistics?

basically went i fist came to australia, it was very diffcult(came here in Yr3). Dad was the only guy that can speak english fluently and because he is at work all day, i leaves me to look after myself and take any english calls for mum. But after one year, i settled down and was able to communicate properly. Well, this is also due to the fact that in my school there are heaps of chinese who were able to help me to translate.

So the communication barrier doesn't really exist if you have chinese in the school who can speak both language. In terms of learning the language, when i first came over, i used the dictionary for every single word of the passage. Well, needless to say i had to do this for like a yr long and it paid off

choc-chip

HSC
so ur piont is...beging hang around wif ur chinese fd makes u easier to be settled?
4 me itz da opposite...when i 1st came 2 aus,i found difficult ,bcuz there were no chinese in my skool.so i was pretty upset , i cudn't speak english,i didn't know wat ppl talkin abt.n ppl teased me. i tried VERY HARD to communicate wif them
tried 2 be interest in their music, sport n all dat.my english has been improve dramatically,n i was doin da same thing wif wat every1 else is doin...but finally,i had changed 2 another skool aft 1 yr..there was a pool of chinese.i happy bcuz i can doin everyfin i realli interested.but sad is i hav been apart frm da main society group..

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yes, learnin language is very hard, esp when u are yr 7 or above... tis a catastrophe... but i think bein in a environment free of non-english speakin students would be more beneficial to the improvement of the language skills, altho it might not be particularly pleasing, and to certain individuals, may be detrimental on da long run... cuz lyk no one shares a language or even interest wif u... to those hu are conserved, they will be isolated and eventually become lonely etc... for those hu are sociable in da first place, the different environment can only make them grow stronger...

in addition to language, culture change is also very important... lyk, when i got to aust, i didn't share a same culture with the studentz in aust, or even foreign students from other country... ( i went to an IEC u c)... just suggestions... =)

choc-chip

HSC
how long hav u been in aus?
some of my fd r pretty smart 2..she's been in aus 4 abt 5 yrs.and she's able 2 do adv english.n been hang around wif others(GROUP) quite easily...wata bt u guys?how do u adapt a new environment initially?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz, i arrived here at the end of 97, which means, ... uhm ~5.8 yrs when i am doin my hsc?? =p i can communicate alrite, but lyk, sometimes, the conflicting culture is apparant...

there was a thread in usyd section, where i posted my plight: i wanted to do b sci in usyd while my parents ain't happie abt that... the debate is ova, but the difference in some perspective are drastically different...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)