UNSW / USYD Double Commerce (1 Viewer)

shashysha

HSC
Hey, so I got an E12 offer for Advanced Computing / Commerce at USYD today (somehow cause I swear my application was terrible) but I was initially considering double commerce at UNSW (Comm/CompSci). USYD requires me to get an 85 while UNSW requires 96 however I'm not really worried about the ATAR requirement as I'm confident I did well enough in HSC. So now I have a choice between USYD and UNSW so could anyone comment on the quality/pros and cons of each uni for the course? The major one is the $5950 that USYD are offering, however the UNSW degree is also a year shorter so idk, any advice is appreciated :)

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
Obviously I’m not actually at Uni yet,
Have you planned accomodation for either of them? That could be a contributing factor if you’re not from Sydney.
The 5950 is a fair bit of money but the extra year seems to be a HUGE advantage, not only considering you won’t have to pay for the course that year (or accomodation if needed) you’ll also have an extra year to either work or take a gap year.
Those are my thoughts 😂 nothing actually about the uni’s themselves sorry if it wasn’t helpful

dumNerd

HSC
[/QUOTE]
Hey, so I got an E12 offer for Advanced Computing / Commerce at USYD today (somehow cause I swear my application was terrible) but I was initially considering double commerce at UNSW (Comm/CompSci). USYD requires me to get an 85 while UNSW requires 96 however I'm not really worried about the ATAR requirement as I'm confident I did well enough in HSC. So now I have a choice between USYD and UNSW so could anyone comment on the quality/pros and cons of each uni for the course? The major one is the $5950 that USYD are offering, however the UNSW degree is also a year shorter so idk, any advice is appreciated :)
Have you planned accomodation for either of them? That could be a contributing factor if you’re not from Sydney.
The 5950 is a fair bit of money but the extra year seems to be a HUGE advantage, not only considering you won’t have to pay for the course that year (or accomodation if needed) you’ll also have an extra year to either work or take a gap year.
Those are my thoughts 😂 nothing actually about the uni’s themselves sorry if it wasn’t helpful
According to my brother tho, don't worry about the money at the moment, if you work at a better uni you will get better job opportunities which is better in the long run, just some advice don't take me seriously (only in year 10)

shashysha

HSC
haha forgot about the accommodation - both unis are essentially the same distance away from me by train so it won't really be an issue thankfully however it is a good point to consider for others!

shashysha

HSC

According to my brother tho, don't worry about the money at the moment, if you work at a better uni you will get better job opportunities which is better in the long run, just some advice don't take me seriously (only in year 10)
[/QUOTE]
Yeah both unis are essentially top notch. General consensus is that UNSW Computer Science >>> USYD's, however I'm not too sure on which uni's commerce is better, plus UNSW are implementing a new program next year

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
Yeah both unis are essentially top notch. General consensus is that UNSW Computer Science >>> USYD's, however I'm not too sure on which uni's commerce is better, plus UNSW are implementing a new program next year
[/QUOTE]
Apparently UNSW commerce is very strong - this is just word on the street from my peers though, and we’re from Newcastle so can’t be certain haha.

idkkdi

HSC
in case you plan to go overseas, Sydney Uni sounds a lot cooler and more recognisable. If u tell an average American u went to UNSW, they would think it's in the middle east or smth.

dasfas

HSC
in case you plan to go overseas, Sydney Uni sounds a lot cooler and more recognisable. If u tell an average American u went to UNSW, they would think it's in the middle east or smth.
Nah dude, no one gives two shits where you went to uni, especially if it's in Australia. It's all about the CV

I'd recommend going to UNSW. a) Comp Sci is reputed to be better, b) you graduate earlier. Granted it'll be less cheap than USYD, but the extra year you have in the work force will offset that.

quickoats

HSC
Granted it'll be less cheap than USYD, but the extra year you have in the work force will offset that.
On the cheap note, it’s probably cheaper to go to UNSW (even with the USyd scholarship) bc one years fees (assuming it’s half commerce half CS courses) costs about 11-12k per year with the new fee structures which is much more than the value of the scholarship.

quickoats

HSC
In Australia we don’t really have “brand name” unis like the Ivy league (although Bond University probably sees itself that way). An American will think USyd is just a university IN Sydney and same with UniMelb etc. Americans don’t know any other Australian cities so good luck if u go to Adelaide uni or something. Asian countries probably know a bit more idk

On the note of Americans, it’s hard to explain to them (from experience with cousins/aunts etc) what an Australian uni would be equivalent to in the states because the uni dynamic is quite different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)