UNSW or UTS? (1 Viewer)

Yakult1

HSC
Hey guys, with UAC applications beginning soon, i'm preparing my 5 preferences so that i can just get it out of the way as soon as possible. I have a problem though.

I know that I want to study computer science and go into research, however, I don't know whether i should be choosing computer science at UTS or UNSW. On one hand, UTS comes with an embedded fourth year of honours, along with a major specifically tailored to mathematics in computer science (what I eventually want to research). On the other, I have heard that UNSW has a much more academically rigorous CS program, which could be more beneficial. To be eligible for an honours year at UNSW their handbook states that I need to have:
  • An overall weighted average (WAM) mark of 65 or higher.
  • Nomination of a suitable thesis topic which will be subject to the availability of a suitable supervisor.
I'm not sure if maintaining a WAM of 65 or higher is difficult, or if the thesis nomination process at UNSW is tedious/annoying. Ultimately, i'm just looking for some input on which I should be putting higher on my preference list, and if I was to get an offer for both, which one I should take. Thank You!

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, with UAC applications beginning soon, i'm preparing my 5 preferences so that i can just get it out of the way as soon as possible. I have a problem though.

I know that I want to study computer science and go into research, however, I don't know whether i should be choosing computer science at UTS or UNSW. On one hand, UTS comes with an embedded fourth year of honours, along with a major specifically tailored to mathematics in computer science (what I eventually want to research). On the other, I have heard that UNSW has a much more academically rigorous CS program, which could be more beneficial. To be eligible for an honours year at UNSW their handbook states that I need to have:
  • An overall weighted average (WAM) mark of 65 or higher.
  • Nomination of a suitable thesis topic which will be subject to the availability of a suitable supervisor.
I'm not sure if maintaining a WAM of 65 or higher is difficult, or if the thesis nomination process at UNSW is tedious/annoying. Ultimately, i'm just looking for some input on which I should be putting higher on my preference list, and if I was to get an offer for both, which one I should take. Thank You!
Can't advise on which degree to enrol in because I don't know much about CS. I think @Drdusk knows quite a bit about CS.

However, a WAM of 65 is generally not so hard to achieve. It's a credit average. If you feel this may be too hard for you to achieve (which I don't think you will) then you should probably study CS at UTS.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
A 65 average puts you in the top 40 to 45% of the students who pass. Anyone who can't maintain an average of that level (absent extenuating circumstances) should not be doing Honours.

Yakult1

HSC
A 65 average puts you in the top 40 to 45% of the students who pass. Anyone who can't maintain an average of that level (absent extenuating circumstances) should not be doing Honours.
Yeah that makes sense. I dont think a 65 would be hard to maintain considering the statistic u just laid out. Looks like its gonna be UNSW 1st preference.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah that makes sense. I dont think a 65 would be hard to maintain considering the statistic u just laid out. Looks like its gonna be UNSW 1st preference.
Yeah if you put in at least some effort even a 75+ WAM is probably doable

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Yeah if you put in at least some effort even a 75+ WAM is probably doable
75+ corresponds to about the top 15% or so of the students who pass the subject... scoring high marks at Uni is more difficult than at school :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
sounds like cs+hons or software engo is the way to go if you wanna do research in the future

idkkdi

HSC
Is there a big difference between cs and se or are they basically the same course?
same

slightly more hardware in software engo iirc, but u could probably elective those courses???????

Yakult1

HSC
alright thanks, i think ill just preference unsw 1st and uts 2nd and see what happens from there. btw would you happen to know how much the initial cost is for a uac application?

idkkdi

HSC
alright thanks, i think ill just preference unsw 1st and uts 2nd and see what happens from there. btw would you happen to know how much the initial cost is for a uac application?
i just know early bird is a lot cheaper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)