Mark from E Block?
Dylan?
Faz?
Benny?

I give up.

HSC
About Colleges

Hi,
Now that second semester has started, I've started thinking about uni again. I've almost definitely decided to go to EPC, but I notice I need three choices not one. Can anyone give me a reasonable idea of some similar colleges? So far I've got: EPC, and maybe Duval and Robb, or Austin. I'm not really into sport, and no single sex places either.

Also, for those of you who were early birds in terms of applying, how soon can you/did you apply to your colleges?

Deltoid

HSC
Re: About Colleges

G'day,

Well i live at Austin, and it's not that bad. I've been there since the start of the year, and i've enjoyed it. Not that EPC isn't a bad college, it's right next door. Choose what you want, but if you don't like drinking at least once a week then Austin might not be for you. And all colleges love their sport lol.

Hope this helped a bit, but you seem destined for EPC lol. I put EPC as my second choice, so you basically always get your 1st choice anyway.

Cheers.

SRKen

HSC

Hi,

I recommend albies! But I am of course a little biased Ive been at UNE now for 5 years living at albies (St Alberts) and I have had the best time there!
Like Austin, albies drinks a fair bit but if you're not into that you don't have to be. Same said for sport, which albies is really into. They'll try to get you to play but you don't have to, I don't think I ever have. We have loads of social events and academic support and our food is the best of all of the colleges.
Earle page is a nice college as is duval, if I wasn't at albies I would probably choose either of those. Robb can be a little boisterous and I would definitely not choose Mary White (at least not until you're postgrad). The folks at Drummond and Smith are nice but its a pretty quiet college.
Good luck choosing!!

*Lozzie*

HSC

hey hey

well ive been at austin since the start of this year and love it,so of coruse i recommend austin

EPC is a nice college, ive got a few friends there who are awesome -- however since they are next door are our rivals in all college events

robb are quite counrty and seem to do some crazy things

duval and D&S are quite colleges allthough they can be out there when they want (they are also smaller then the other colleges

albies seem pretty awesome -- they have been quite noiy this past week

and marywhite -- well i dont know anything bout them so yeah

have fun picking but make sure you put your choice in early -- une website should tell you when

ps YAY AUSTIN!!!!!!!!!!

Santah

HSC
Hey folks, I'll be the first one to ask for this year :)

Going to UNE on-campus in 2009. Bit different for me though because I've been doing it off campus for 2 years, so I'll be doing mostly 3rd year subjects and will be older than most (22). I'm also a bit of a loner (dont like going out much), so I want to avoid the party colleges.

From what I can gather Duval and D & S will suit me best. The "Hogwarts" vibe of Duval is appealing to me. Any thoughts from you guys?

Less important Qs:
1. Whats the internet access? Data limit etc? I'm a heavy user so will I need to get my own (wireless or something)?
2. Are the college "gyms" actually just 1 treadmill, 1 bike and 1 multi-weight?
3. Do the common rooms show Rugby League or is it not followed up there?
4. Should I bring my car or leave it back in Sydney?

Thanks.

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I have no idea about the answers to any of your questions except that I'll be staying in Austin college very soon for my residential school (yes I know its rep but they're all on hols right? haha).

BUT, since this will be your third year in Armidale, how hard is it to do internal study and get employment/earn enough money to cover rent? I'm considering moving to Armidale for postgrad next year but I'll be supporting myself and I'm not sure if I could cover my costs AND attend uni (I would probably only do two subjects at a time though).

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Santah said:
Hey folks, I'll be the first one to ask for this year :)

Going to UNE on-campus in 2009. Bit different for me though because I've been doing it off campus for 2 years, so I'll be doing mostly 3rd year subjects and will be older than most (22). I'm also a bit of a loner (dont like going out much), so I want to avoid the party colleges.
Don't worry, we have a continget of 22-year-old students. I should know; I'm one of them.
Santah said:
From what I can gather Duval and D & S will suit me best. The "Hogwarts" vibe of Duval is appealing to me. Any thoughts from you guys?
Yes: do it. You'll love it. I'm Duvallian my ownself and while I can't speak for the other colleges, I know you'll have a good time at Duval.
Santah said:
Less important Qs:
1. Whats the internet access? Data limit etc? I'm a heavy user so will I need to get my own (wireless or something)?
All rooms have internet access; internal students get about 4Gb a month and 4Gb extra for the year.
Santah said:
2. Are the college "gyms" actually just 1 treadmill, 1 bike and 1 multi-weight?
Yes. Duval is one of the only colleges with a gym, but there is a proper gym on-campus down at SportUNE. Problem is that you have to pay if you want to use it.
Santah said:
3. Do the common rooms show Rugby League or is it not followed up there?
It's certainly followed, though I would recommend supporting St. George or Canberra; they're the two teams that have the biggest following.
Santah said:
4. Should I bring my car or leave it back in Sydney?
Bring it. Armidale can be abysmal in the winter, and you'll save a fortune on bus fares.

Santah

HSC
Thanks objects.

What do you think my order of prefs should be? Not sure on the 3rd. I'm thinking:

1. Duval
2. D & S
3. St. Alberts / EP?

4 GB wont be enough for me. Will have to look at getting something else too. Wonder if the phone lines support adsl... might just have to get wireless.

em_516 said:
BUT, since this will be your third year in Armidale, how hard is it to do internal study and get employment/earn enough money to cover rent? I'm considering moving to Armidale for postgrad next year but I'll be supporting myself and I'm not sure if I could cover my costs AND attend uni (I would probably only do two subjects at a time though).
Me? No idea. I'm currently in my 2nd year off-campus (ie distance). Next year will be my first in Armidale.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Santah said:
Thanks objects.

What do you think my order of prefs should be? Not sure on the 3rd. I'm thinking:

1. Duval
2. D & S
3. St. Alberts / EP?
I'll naturally say Duval should be number one as I live there ... but I can't really speak for the others. I would recommend D&S as your number two as it's our sister college and we share stuff like kitchen facilities and our principal and the kayaking team, but your number three is wide open. To be honest, I put Duval as my first, D&S as my second, and Mary White was my third, but I already knew that come hell or high water, I would call myself a Duvallian after I visited on Open Day. I don't know if you went; if you did, you didn't have me as a guide.

Santah said:
4 GB wont be enough for me. Will have to look at getting something else too. Wonder if the phone lines support adsl... might just have to get wireless.
We do have broadband after a fashion; you're hooked into the uni server. And you can go over 4Gb a month, but you'll have to pay extra for everything megabyte over your download limit. It costs about seven cents a megabyte, but it can get expensive. Wireless is available too, but I haven't known anyone to run on the wireless connection for at least a year; the terminal is actually hosted on a student computer, so its availablity depends on that student and they don't always have it on. You'll probably have to speak to the Senior Resident Fellow (the person who oversees the day-to-day running of the college; I know him personally and he's a good guy) for more, as it's one of the regular Resident Fellows who hosts it as far as I know because their flat is in the centre of the college.

Santah

HSC
I didn't go to the open day. Didn't inquire about applying until last week :p I've only been to UNE once ever actually, and that was for my brother's graduation.

Back to the car issue. How on earth can running a car be cheaper than the bus? Whats the parking like, is there any undercover parking? Don't really want to leave my car out in the weather all year. Is it safe to leave a non beater around?

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
There's no undercover parking, but there's plenty of parking spaces. It's not like Newcastle Uni where they sell more parking permits than they have parking spaces for.

Generally, running a car can be cheaper thana bus if you're smart about it. The colleges are built about a kilometre away from the campus proper, so everything's within walking distance. You can use your car to get to and from classes every day like some people, but most will walk. The car just comes in useful to get all your stuff to and from home - you actually have to pack up your room at the end of each term because external students come in to use the college facilities, but the avantage is that doing this keeps fees down - as well as when you want to go into town, or the weather is bad.

There have only been a few instances of trouble in the car park; drunks coming home have been known to set off car alarms for fun (I don't see how this is fun, but then, I don't get drunk very often). There's only even been one recorded case of vandalism, which was a few weeks ago: a friend of mine has a brand-new Mitsubishi Lancer and the rear window was smashed in with a screw and twenty-cent washer fired at close range. However, her car was actually parked in town at the time. UNE has its own internal security group, who do a pretty good job; in three years I haven't had a single problem save for a drunk deciding to walk over my car one time (but I had stupidly parked in another college's "section", but that was in my first week and hasn't happened to anyone since).

So no, you don't have to worry. Right now there's a brand-new Mitubishi Lancer, Ford Focus, Subaru Impreza and a Holden Astra in the car park and none have attracted trouble. There's at least four older Lancers - including my own - that I can name that haven't been touched, as well as a handful of Ford Falcons, a Honda Integra and a pair of like-new Hyundais. None have been a magnet for thieves.

mickant

HSC
We've got a gym at D&S. New this year. Its got 2 weight benches, a pilates machine, boxing bags, bikes and treadmills and some sort of eliptical trainer.
I didn't see what course you're doing but if you're doing law we also put in a new Law Library this year with a heap of books which I am told are quite useful and expensive. Its also an area where you especially focus on quiet study if you are so inclined, with group study tables etc. The blocks are usually perfectly quiet enough for my study but its good to have the extra option as well as common rooms.

shuppy

HSC
I didn't go to the open day. Didn't inquire about applying until last week :p I've only been to UNE once ever actually, and that was for my brother's graduation.

Back to the car issue. How on earth can running a car be cheaper than the bus? Whats the parking like, is there any undercover parking? Don't really want to leave my car out in the weather all year. Is it safe to leave a non beater around?
Hey Santah, Sorry for bugging you so many years later but you seem to have been in a similar situation that I am in now.
I am a cadet engineer and I want to move on campus to complete my degree. Can you relate to my situation?
I have done 2.5 years on campus (by distance) and I want to move on campus next year
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)