UAI...so low? (1 Viewer)

Melikins

HSC
Hey foolies of the forum...

I was wondering...why is UC's journalism UAI so low? It is around the 71 mark??

AND how come a double degree of Arts AND journalism is at 70? You would expect it to be higher than a plain journalism degree

Is the course very popular? And how do the graduates go?
Are the lectures/lecturers very good? etc etc etc...I am just sussing out this uni...hence all the questions!

Hope anyone can help!

Danke

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
But so is ANU and they're super awesome!

Matt Samson

HSC
Because the UAI is more of a market number (supply and demand).

The only reason why Medicine, Law and Dentistry have very high UAI entrance ranks is because demand is very high for very few places.

So the B.Arts / Journalism is only 1 point higher than straight journalism. Well, that just shows that there is only a little bit more demand for it.

This is why UAC says the UAI is not a mark or a grade.

Matt Samson

HSC
blakegman said:
in research.
I heard that by an academic from ANU. He said school leavers should pick a different university for undergraduate study.

faerielette

HSC
Most of UC's UAI levels are not high because of the supply and demand as someone has already said. The journalism course is very hands-on for those interested, I am graduating this year.

This outline of the degree can give you an idea of what you will be learning: http://www.canberra.edu.au/courses/index.cfm?action=detail&courseid=376AB&year=2008

All the journalism units are practical (the uni has its own online publication that all journalism students have the option of being published on - www.nowuc.com.au) and broadcast students have access to radio and tv studios, editing equipment etc. The lecturers have all worked or are working as journalists and have great credentials, they're great.

Lectures are theory based and then the tutorials are more in depth where you learn what you are being taught. Assignments involve practical experience where you are expected to go out and interview people and write/broadcast news. The course teaches you all the basic skills needed to enter a journalism field and they have some really good connections with the ACT media.

Canberra isnt a big place and everyone seems to know everyone. The uni has connections for ABC internships, communications jobs in the public service and WIN television journos.

okelvino

HSC
Well... ANU is not good at all. If ur doing IT or Accounting in UC then It is definitely much better than ANU because UC offer pratical while ANU is only theory stuffs. That's the difference between the 2 uni in Canberra.

REMEMBER: if ur planning to do IT or accounting, Go to UC not ANU. COS that types of job requires more practices than theories

geriat

HSC
ANU still has low UAI cut offs even though they are ranked the best uni in Australia.

In my first year at ANU they said that UAI is not a good predictor of success at uni, hence, they have lower UAIs than other universities because they believe in giving students with UAIs <90 a chance (the UAI cut off at other unis is around 95). Surprisingly, this is true. Many of the people who got lower UAIs (70s) actually got into the very competitive Honours programme when it came time in 3rd year (i.e. they achieved high GPAs).

Universities actually get penalised for not filling all of the CSP/HECS places, so they lower the UAIs. Doesn't mean the course is lousy.

UC is definitely less prestigeous than ANU, but the quality of the degree depends on what you're studying...

Of course, there's also the reason that people avoid Canberra lilke the plague, and that would drive the UAI cut-offs down... but it's really not as bad as it's made out to be! :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)