TUTORING NOTES GOOD? (1 Viewer)

dumNerd

HSC
Hi, I go to ACE for prelim chem tutoring and do you guys recommend that I just use their notes (which are arranged according to syllabus dotpoints) or make my own from the textbook and combine them.

Also if I am to do it from the textbook would you recommend doing it a year earlier or a term earlier when the tutoring goes over it? - btw aiming for mid to high 90s for chem

beetree1

HSC
My friends go to ACE for chem and phys and they all just make their notes based on their notes and theyve done pretty well in exams! I think that what they have would be more concise and revised than the textbook so I would recommending doing so

dumNerd

HSC
My friends go to ACE for chem and phys and they all just make their notes based on their notes and theyve done pretty well in exams! I think that what they have would be more concise and revised than the textbook so I would recommending doing so
So should I bother looking at the theory in the textbook?

dumNerd

HSC
Hi, I go to ACE for prelim chem tutoring and do you guys recommend that I just use their notes (which are arranged according to syllabus dotpoints) or make my own from the textbook and combine them.

Also if I am to do it from the textbook would you recommend doing it a year earlier or a term earlier when the tutoring goes over it? - btw aiming for mid to high 90s for chem
any other suggestions?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Can't really comment sorry cause I've never seen the notes from the tutoring place you go to. But if they are a credible place the stuff they provide is probably good quality. I personally also went to a tutoring centre when I was in HSC (matrix). When I went there I did use their materials in helping me writing my own notes, however I did reference the textbooks a bit as well because I went ahead a lot. However, the main thing with chem in the new syllabus is keep your notes as short as possible and literally spam questions for days. That is the best way to get a good mark and make it less boring to study

dumNerd

HSC
Can't really comment sorry cause I've never seen the notes from the tutoring place you go to. But if they are a credible place the stuff they provide is probably good quality. I personally also went to a tutoring centre when I was in HSC (matrix). When I went there I did use their materials in helping me writing my own notes, however I did reference the textbooks a bit as well because I went ahead a lot. However, the main thing with chem in the new syllabus is keep your notes as short as possible and literally spam questions for days. That is the best way to get a good mark and make it less boring to study
I see so just a short reference to the textbook to cover anything missed and then do heaps of questions (RIP ): I finished prelim notes from textbook and now I also have tutoring notes so I'm just trying to refine them and cutdown). THANKS!!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Like it's fine if your notes are long but you want to also have some shorter version of the document where you don't explain everything from the basics. That way when those things become second nature you can just remove them and leave in the more tricky/important stuff

dumNerd

HSC
Like it's fine if your notes are long but you want to also have some shorter version of the document where you don't explain everything from the basics. That way when those things become second nature you can just remove them and leave in the more tricky/important stuff
Is Yr 11 Chem more theory based than year 12 Chem?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Is Yr 11 Chem more theory based than year 12 Chem?
It's kind of hard to compare cause the stuff you get asked in Year 12 is different. Year 11 I would say there is a lot of like problem solving in terms of they want you to learn the basics of things and be able to apply it, but there isn't much explain why this happens or occurs. Year 12 chem more so goes into those style of questions but if someone does good in Year 11 they will probably do good in year 12 as well

dumNerd

HSC
It's kind of hard to compare cause the stuff you get asked in Year 12 is different. Year 11 I would say there is a lot of like problem solving in terms of they want you to learn the basics of things and be able to apply it, but there isn't much explain why this happens or occurs. Year 12 chem more so goes into those style of questions but if someone does good in Year 11 they will probably do good in year 12 as well
So year 12 notes should be more in-depth than year 11?

dumNerd

HSC
Sorry about all the questions just trying to figure out if I should make notes from the textbook a year earlier and then ads tutoring notes (very concise) or just base my notes of tutoring notes and do heaps of questions

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Year 12 notes are actually probably less in-depth. Like a lot of the stuff your notes would just end up being examples of certain questions and calculations. I think for year 12 something like flashcards or a document just summarising all the main questions is better than plain notes

dumNerd

HSC
[/QUOTE]
Sorry about all the questions just trying to figure out if I should make notes from the textbook a year earlier and then ads tutoring notes (very concise) or just base my notes of tutoring notes and do heaps of questions
Year 12 notes are actually probably less in-depth. Like a lot of the stuff your notes would just end up being examples of certain questions and calculations. I think for year 12 something like flashcards or a document just summarising all the main questions is better than plain notes
Thanks, lol answeres quesrion before i asked it . This assures me that I havent wasted my time by making year 11 notes from textbook.

dasfas

HSC
Make your notes as in-depth as possible. Definitely go through the textbook and use the tutoring notes as supplementary material

erucibon

HSC
N/A

Your notes for chem and phys (if you are doing it) shouldn't be in depth at all and doesn't need to cover every point. I just handwrote important stuff that is easy to forget as I learnt it and then applied it. You should be doing this as you go - notes should not be done towards exams and should not be a main focus of your study, if anything, notes are just there to remind you of what the content is if you forget. Also, if you are aiming for mid to high 90s you should tell yourself that you are aiming for 1st in your school and state rank and keep that mindset as that is basically what it is.

dumNerd

HSC
Make your notes as in-depth as possible. Definitely go through the textbook and use the tutoring notes as supplementary material
Your notes for chem and phys (if you are doing it) shouldn't be in depth at all and doesn't need to cover every point. I just handwrote important stuff that is easy to forget as I learnt it and then applied it. You should be doing this as you go - notes should not be done towards exams and should not be a main focus of your study, if anything, notes are just there to remind you of what the content is if you forget. Also, if you are aiming for mid to high 90s you should tell yourself that you are aiming for 1st in your school and state rank and keep that mindset as that is basically what it is.
BRuh which one

c8

HSC
BRuh which one
You don't need to go in depth. For chem it's wayy more effective to do practice questions and spam those out rather than reading over notes so you dont want a whole huge doc of information which is practically useless. I'd make notes from tutoring (ive heard ace notes a pretty good) and if needed then add stuff from the text book, but tbh the textbook goes way in depth than you need but is good for supplementing knowledge. If you do practice questions, you'll know where you need notes and where you dont

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)