Transfer to UNSW / WSU Med from another course in another uni (1 Viewer)

531Dropout

HSC
Hi all,

Is it possible to transfer to UNSW / WSU Medicine if I do another course (completely unrelated to med) from another uni? For me, that 'another uni' is USyd.

There's no clear cut answer to this question on the UNSW Med website and most other threads I can find are many years outdated. Of course, I understand that I will need a good ATAR of roughly 96 and above, good WAM from the 1st year course results, good UCAT score and a solid interview.

Meeting this criteria, is transferring possible? Or is transferring to UNSW / WSU Med only possible internally - like doing UNSW MedSci then transferring into UNSW Med.

Appreciate your help in advance!

c8

HSC
As far as I know you can only 'transfer' into UNSW med through the medsci path which is quite competitive. Other than that technically if you've started a degree it is applying for medicine, rather than transferring, as though you were like a school leaver although you have a few less unis available to apply for but WSU and UNSW are still in the mix for people who've started uni degrees. You can take any course (completely unrelated to med) in order to apply but note that for UNSW you're looking at an atar of like 99+, maybe less if you qualify for disadvantages, and a pretty high GPA to meet their 99.25 cut off (GPA and ATAR are split 50/50 I think). In contrast WSU only requires like a 6.? GPA if you started a degree but requires a pretty solid UCAT unless you live in western sydney, and then the cutoffs are lowered a bit

jojosiwa123

HSC
I don't think transfers into med from unrelated degrees are possible...eg at ANU it isn't, and at Newcastle transfers into medicine are very "rare" according to both websites. I think you should look at medstudents online for a detailed answer from a current or former med student.
as c8 has said, rather then transferring the pathway is generally that you apply for medicine again (and do UCAT again) after starting your degree. at UNSW they look at both atar and GPA but it has an extremely high cutoff for both if you're not a rural student.
btw this question has been asked in the following thread. https://boredofstudies.org/threads/transfer-into-unsw-medicine.332886/

Last edited:

531Dropout

HSC
My bad, my bad - I guess the word isn't really 'transferring' (sorry I'm unfamiliar with these uni terms because I haven't started yet) I was just curious as to whether it is possible to get into UNSW / WSU Med after starting a completely unrelated undergrad.

Thanks c8 and jojosiwa! Yeah it's definitely gonna be competitive, medsci path or not. I'm guessing I'll have to reapply via UAC again. Just curious, where did you get this info from? Word of mouth or on any official website? I'd like to read more into this :)
Thanks for link as well, although the OP's situation from that post is a bit different from mine. I might have to write in to UNSW to get a proper answer on this.

c8

HSC
My bad, my bad - I guess the word isn't really 'transferring' (sorry I'm unfamiliar with these uni terms because I haven't started yet) I was just curious as to whether it is possible to get into UNSW / WSU Med after starting a completely unrelated undergrad.

Thanks c8 and jojosiwa! Yeah it's definitely gonna be competitive, medsci path or not. I'm guessing I'll have to reapply via UAC again. Just curious, where did you get this info from? Word of mouth or on any official website? I'd like to read more into this :)
Thanks for link as well, although the OP's situation from that post is a bit different from mine. I might have to write in to UNSW to get a proper answer on this.
I got my info from medstudentsonline
Just to answer your questions,
Yes you can get into unsw/wsu med after starting an unrelated degree
Yes you’ll have to reapply via uac and unsw’s portal
And, most people wouldn’t recommend medsci due to the really competitive environment (most people want med or dent) and it has a fair few less job prospects (there are still some just not too many) rather you should pick something you would do should you not get into medicine

quickoats

HSC
Since your HSC was in 2018, you must be in 2nd year now? It might be a good idea to study for the gamsat next year so you can apply to the graduate entry med schools as well, since undergrad med schools tend to favour school leavers.

What degree are you doing now?

jojosiwa123

HSC
same medstudentsonline I recommend it, ngl the mods can be rude af but don't mind it lmfao. a lot of the questions ur looking for have probably been answered so u can search them up there.
and btw if you're considering an 'unrelated degree' than graduate med is a good option too, not sure if you've considered it.
lastly, medstudentsonline has a thread in which u can put your atar, UCAT score etc and what universities you're applying to, they'll basically tell you what your chances are of getting into those unis and you can go from there!!! its very helpful!!!!!!
EDIT: you should definitely 100% do this very very soon if you haven't applied to medicine this year already- applications close on the 30th of September!!

jojosiwa123

HSC
Since your HSC was in 2018, you must be in 2nd year now? It might be a good idea to study for the gamsat next year so you can apply to the graduate entry med schools as well, since undergrad med schools tend to favour school leavers.

they haven't started yet I think, probs a gap year?

531Dropout

HSC
And, most people wouldn’t recommend medsci due to the really competitive environment (most people want med or dent) and it has a fair few less job prospects (there are still some just not too many) rather you should pick something you would do should you not get into medicine

Exactly what I'm doing!

Thanks for helping out :)

531Dropout

HSC
Exactly what I'm doing!

Thanks for helping out :)

Actually, I'm not in uni yet I took a two year gap year - complicated story.

Planning to do something in the design field (yes, I know very unrelated lol)

same medstudentsonline I recommend it, ngl the mods can be rude af but don't mind it lmfao. a lot of the questions ur looking for have probably been answered so u can search them up there.
and btw if you're considering an 'unrelated degree' than graduate med is a good option too, not sure if you've considered it.
lastly, medstudentsonline has a thread in which u can put your atar, UCAT score etc and what universities you're applying to, they'll basically tell you what your chances are of getting into those unis and you can go from there!!! its very helpful!!!!!!
EDIT: you should definitely 100% do this very very soon if you haven't applied to medicine this year already- applications close on the 30th of September!!
I'll definitely check out medstudentsonline and their calculator. :) thanks a bunch!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)