Traditional of Simplified characters, and why? (1 Viewer)

Which Chinese writing system do you prefer?

• Simplified Characters

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Traditional Characters

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
HSC
N/A
回复: Re: Traditional of Simplified characters, and why?

It's what Chinese writings evolved from and should endure that way until the end.
Lol... traditional characters were also evolved from ancient Chinese characters invented thousands of years ago.

Before defining the difference between "traditional" and "simplified" Chinese, I think one question should be taken into consideration: What is the objective figure and trait of having the nature of being traditional.

One thing quite interesting is that, at the time when now so-called "TRADITIONAL" characters were first invented, they were also appeared as the simplified form of chinese characters at that time. This is because they were originated from a kind of Chinese characters called "Qin Zhuan" or "Xiao Zhuan", and "Qin Zhuan" was the simplified form of "Da Zhuan", which was used in the society of Qin Kingdom before the unity of seven kingdoms (and those 6 other kindoms also had their own forms of characters). Therefore, you can say, the so-called "traditional characters of Chinese" do not objectively hold the nature of being "traditional". And the reason why people in these days define these "Traditional Characters" as "having the nature of being 'traditional'", is only because the length of time such forms of characters have/had existed in the history of China.

So, now let's adjust our clocks a bit further to the future, let's say, 2000 years after, if the now so-called "simplified Chinese characters" still exist at that time, would you think they can be defined as "traditional characters" by our offsprings, as how we define the characters invented by our ancestors now?

Last edited:

blueskies

HSC
I personally prefer traditional, because it looks more 'correct' but i'm happy that i'm even learning Chinese traditional or not. Traditional looks really nice in essays =)

Sounds crazy but its true!

leisl1990

HSC
if u r going to learn it?
definitely simplied charater is the one u should do.
The overwhelming majority of chinese users uses simplified characters.
as far as difficulty is concern, simplified is much much easier.

Sadly, traditional chracter is much more commonly used in australian chinese communities..

Last edited:

superle

HSC
I'd say I probably like trad more but I can only write simplified & read trad (only cause of dramas XD) I guess simplified is easier to write & looks prettier but it's also a sign of language deteriorating... =(

lionking1191

HSC
danlan said:
A point is simplified chinese speakers could read and understand traditional characters without any problem whereas traditional chinese speakers can hardly understand simplified letters.
so true

zhithegenius

HSC
i was taught simplified characters but i reckon traditional looks much better, i write traditional when i do calligraphy, you can't write simplified when you do calligraphy, it looks so shit....

MzSandikalz

HSC
I vote for traditional.
It's what Chinese writings evolved from and should endure that way until the end.
The traditional chinese charcters also influenced countries such as Japan and Korea in their writings and literature. In Japan, traditional chinese characters, called 'kanji' are used frequently in every day life. That shows how useful it is!

I just want to add that kanji in japanese also graps simplified too.

I was once studying for kanji, and mistook the simplified version of "learn" with the traditional "word". until i looked it up, i was.. WOAH WHY ARE THERE 3 "DIAN"S.

Traditional - learn
simplified - learn
traditional/simplied - word

Just incase its unlear, i vote traditional as well. I MEAN... How can you love without a heart??

traditional
simplified
heart (which is in trad but not simp)

Furthermore, to the extent that traditional characters have been simplied, it is really confusing to distinguish between what character is which, to the point that one stroke can change the word SO MUCH. whereas if it was traditional, and a stroke was missing, someone would locate the mistake and know what someone was trying to write.

Eg, if somefor wrote AWESOMF (because the forgot the bottom line of the 'E'), OBVIOUSLYY the reader would read it as AWESOME.

I rest my case ^__^

samthebear

HSC
Simplified. i'd always learnt it in simplified and plus my hand writing sucks - if i had to write in traditional, no one would be able to read my writing unless i wrote in size 16 font on paper. when i write in chinese it looks very childish (scrawl like) cuz i havent been writing for a very long time (and also partly due to the fact that i just cant write very neatly. even in english -_-")

crystal3286

HSC
A point is simplified chinese speakers could read and understand traditional characters without any problem whereas traditional chinese speakers can hardly understand simplified letters.
I actually think it's the other way around.
im honkie and i can understand simplified chinese very well. however students from my chinese class are mostly from mainland china and they sometimes have trouble reading traditional chinese and often ask me for help.

I like simplified chinese too cos it's easier, and we even had to learn a bit of it back in HK. i use it very often too.

but i would vote for traditional, agreeing with what the others said. It's definitely worth spending time learning it because the characters are full of history and meanings. =]

KokoNut

HSC
... always think traditional one looks better, n i can read smoothly cuz when i was young i got heaps of books imported from hk or taiwan..
however i write in simplifed chinese all the time, strongly prefer simplifed one when writting.....if i should learn to wrtie traditional chinese now i probably bomb the education department or watever departments bring this issue...> <

Bendent

HSC
回覆: Traditional of Simplified characters, and why?

i actually prefer the picture like characters from the very past. they look the best. other than that i choose simplified because just like history the chinese characters are always changing and adapting and it is easier for interntional reasons like english. and it has nothing to do with mainland chinese or not mainland chinese or not. just my 2c.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)