Too much comment? (1 Viewer)

giri

HSC
Well neways, i've noticed that this whole latin section is pretty much dead, so thought it was the oportune place to make my first post - i hate making first posts in forums - and to remain as inconspicuous as possible...So neways, just some random question...do ppl think there is too much comment in the exams (both continuers and extension)? I dunno whether there should be less, maybe the the proportion of comment to say unseen is too high? As in, its kinda just a rip-off of english, without being so specific...hmm just some random thoughts...i suppose no-one will answer in which case i will have at least got that first post outta the way....btw is everyone else loving the extension course?...so cool...

shafqat

HSC
N/A
I think there is too much comment, which is psuedo-english as you said. I mean what, 20,30 marks of unseen? That's far too little. But it does make the latin course very easy.
I never did extension, but I would have liked to.

aimstar

HSC
yes im loving the extension course 2! elegy is actually a bit of fun to analyse, kinda makes comment a lil less painful. found out next yr have 2 do philosophy! now that would make comment excruciatingly bad. in regards to continuers, i think there should be heaps more grammar, i mean u have 2 be pretty down pact with so nmuch grammar and in the end u get so few questions

roger_federer

HSC
i agree there should be more grammar and more unseen, much more unseen in fact and from all different authors from random places...that would stop people who cant do the language and who just rote learn the seens and do fairly well (because even then u cant do brilliantly).
separate the men from the boys...

Last edited:

justchillin

HSC
I agree with you all, but the fact of the matter is, like all subjects in the HSC nowdays, there is a huge stress on comprehension-type answers [look at chemistry, physics and the latin comment...] With the current format, I can only see the comment getting larger. And I third the comment that the Extension course is brilliant, although my hand gets very sore after finishing an exam [so little time and so much writing]...

giri

HSC
Too much writing....yeah can't agree more...but at least the comment in elegy is kinda fun, whereas the Cicero comment is just blah and boring. Btw, we had just one hour for the half yearly to do pretty much the same format of exam lol...including one 16 mark comment question...at least for the trial its the standard 2 hrs...has any1 finished the prescription yet for either of the units? Cicero done, Virgil - 40 lines to go and euh....Elegy just Amores I.15...i dunno what we gonna do after....unseens i spose...

giri

HSC
Hmm, well as for extension....yeah we went over a few other poems - a Tibullus one - and also read some commentary on the whole lover/soldier thingy...but yeah we only really have like 2 lessons a week so...
And for the comment....hmm...u see our teachers arent huge fans of the whole this is chiasmus or this is hypallage...theyre more like look at the language and the words, their meanings and positioning and stuff. As to what ure sposed to do in the hsc...but u're definitely right...its not really too much like english stuff...i reckon its what english should be like...none of this context, techniques, values stuff...i do pity the people who have to do philosophy or whatever...love poetry is kinda cool...cept sometimes its kinda just so obvious that its hard to write on....particularly ovid...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)