This forum seems to be dead? (1 Viewer)

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh that's eh
So I assume not many ESL Chinese go to BOS forum?

ZeeZee3

HSC
Judging from 2011 hsc statistics, there are 100 chinese continuer students and 952 background speaker students. Out of a total amount of 66,000 (approx.) the percentage of chinese hsc students is very low in comparison to other hsc subjects. So don't expect so much BOS members to post in this section although it won't hurt to try.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Judging from 2011 hsc statistics, there are 100 chinese continuer students and 952 background speaker students. Out of a total amount of 66,000 (approx.) the percentage of chinese hsc students is very low in comparison to other hsc subjects. So don't expect so much BOS members to post in this section although it won't hurt to try.
Only 952 bk speaker Chinese students? Ur sure? Oh wow its like only a grade in my school when I was back in China O o

HSC
Uni Grad
I think we'll see more people doing Chinese because of the implementation of the Heritage Chinese course.

HSC
Uni Grad
Background Speakers - those who came from x-country who wish to continue learning their native language
Heritage - those who have a heritage from x-country but were born here (so both or one parent is from x-country) and wish to continue their language which they speak at home.

I think that's right.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I didn't even know this part of the forums existed haha :)

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
Congratulations, you have broken the silence and have revived the thread.

Rohanco

HSC
Background Speakers - those who came from x-country who wish to continue learning their native language
Heritage - those who have a heritage from x-country but were born here (so both or one parent is from x-country) and wish to continue their language which they speak at home.

I think that's right.
Oh, lol doesn't seem like there'd be much difference, but then again I'm only interested in beginners so I'm probably wrong.

nifkeh

HSC
I thought background & heritage was the same? *is confused*

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
I thought background & heritage was the same? *is confused*
Background and heritage is not the same thing derrppppppp thats like saying, one and two are the same thing.
Anyway Background is for those who have studied/lived in an overseas country for most of their life (I believe theres a certain amount of years needed, i think 6, correct me if I'm wrong) whereas heritage, is also for those who have studied overseas at least once in their lifetime and the number of years less than what is required for background, hence heritage can be considered as 'easier' whilst background is aimed mainly for international students.
Then theres continuers, which is just those who have never studied in an overseas country, but simply want to learn more chinese and doesn't have family members who are directly from mainland china, they do a whole background check thing, because all these people with some sort of background, tend to get in chinese continuers anyway, and thus making it unfair since it's familiar to them .-.
darn leechers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)