Thesis on genre (1 Viewer)

Susieee

HSC
N/A
hey, so I'm doing revenge tragedy and I am really stuck on how to write a thesis on genre. All I've got so far is something like "Genre is flexible" how can I extend this to make it more sophisticated? Please help!

HSC
Seriously? Shouldn't you have covered this in class by now?

I suggest including 2-3 perspectives on genre (perhaps not all in the introduction) by using quotes from critics. For example say "so-and-so notes that genre "is a ..." but I disagree, and instead consider it this and this".

A page you'll find very useful is here: http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/intgenre/intgenre2.html

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
It's a bit late now, child.

to extend it a little, add your opinions on the ways genre changes over time, how one genre borrows aspects from others, how authors can use some conventions, subvert some, an ignore some, and if this is effective. Then in your argument use examples from the texts and comparing texts to back it up, even to the point of saying "it's this xxxxxx that makes Y text more effective than Z text at ...............(reaching audience, conveying meaning... yada yada whatever your argument is).

You could include things like what neccessitates genre's flexibility eg. changing expectations/ desensitisation of audience to violence, changing perspectives in society and changing political and social context. And, if relevant, what aspects remain the same throughout.

If you do not have opinions at this late stage, make some.

Last edited:

sparkerasp

HSC
Susieee said:
Oh great. Thanks heaps, that clears it up.
Man, that link veloc1ty posted was the first thing our teachers gave us in class for genre. It's a really useful document, wonder why your teachers didn't tell you before.

SomethingKiller

HSC
I'm doing Spec Fic, so this won't be as relevant but contextual factors involved in the genre are pivotal to my genre and might help you. Don't over-complicate it though, just work on answering the question I suppose, your thesis will fabricate as you go along sometimes without your knowledge.

7oas7y

HSC
Wittgenstein
Barthes
Derrida

These are three Genre Theorists. And reading their studies will definitely be of use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)