The King School Why so much (1 Viewer)

TBK11

HSC
Does anyone attend The King's School from what ive herd its around $22,000 per year lol i was just wondering why does it cost so much you get the same facilities at a government high school yes/no?

why so much what could possible cost that much that its 22k a year for yr10+

*Baby-K*

HSC
I think you should check it out before you make comments like gov. schools have the same facilities.
I attended a public school and changed to Kambala in year 9- NO WAY do they have the same facilities.

xV1P3R

HSC
Have you see how big that place is? It's like a small suburb :)

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
TBK11 said:
why does it cost so much you get the same facilities at a government high school yes/no?
I find this comment quite amusing. Have you even been to a private school..?

vongSTAA

HSC
No it is not the same as public school lol.

It costs so much because the school has fucking expensive as facilities and whatnot. I do believe there's also some level of prestige and history behind the school? It's a pretty decent school I suppose, but too expensive for most people.

They also import people for their sporting teams (e.g. basketball, had liek this massive American dude) which is gay for the other schools lol.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
if you think thats expensive, my parents paid 40 000 for my year 12.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
One of the reasons that it costs so much (apart from all the facilities that they maintain) is that the class sizes are smaller than public schools and the teacher wages are higher, so they have a much larger salary bill to pay.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
"Sporting facilities include 15 playing fields used for both cricket and rugby union, 14 tennis courts, five basketball courts, five soccer fields, a 50–metre lap pool, a 25–metre swimming pool, a diving pool, and a gym under which there is a small rifle range. The school also has a rowing facility in Putney, on the Parramatta River. A newly constructed gym—the Sports Centre—was opened on 16 June 2007"

(yes i went to TKS)

Last edited:

09bek

HSC
who cares if it has all those facilitys!!
public schools have better morals than any other private school could ever have!!
from my experience private school people are rude and treat people like they so much better them and bum out on life in the long run!!
all the governments money is being spent on schools like the kings "15 playing fields used for both cricket and rugby union, 14 tennis courts, five basketball courts, five soccer fields, a 50–metre lap pool, a 25–metre swimming pool, a diving pool, and a gym under which there is a small rifle range." pfft wen this money should be spent on creating equity in education across private and public schools! GOSH!!!:vcross:

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
09bek said:
public schools have better morals than any other private school could ever have!!
from my experience private school people are rude and treat people like they so much better them and bum out on life in the long run!!
all the governments money is being spent on schools like the kings "15 playing fields used for both cricket and rugby union, 14 tennis courts, five basketball courts, five soccer fields, a 50–metre lap pool, a 25–metre swimming pool, a diving pool, and a gym under which there is a small rifle range." pfft wen this money should be spent on creating equity in education across private and public schools! GOSH!!!:vcross:
WHOA there! That's a very generalised and sweeping statement.

I've been to both sorts of schools and taught at both sorts of schools and I could say that in terms of morals and the way the students treat others I have experienced friendly and polite students at both and extremely rude and arrogant stupids at both.

The way people treat others comes mostly from the home and the way they have been brought up. People who have the money to afford going to private schools can be rude and arrogant, but they can also be kind, generous and friendly, wonderful people.

In terms of what the government spends on private versus public schools - facilities built by private schools are PAID FOR by the parents of students and former students from building funds that do not even touch the money that is given by the government. Actually, per student, private schools do not receive as fund funding as public schools.

Private school fees are so expensive for many reasons:
1. They have to upkeep their own facilities and don't get government funding for that.
2. They pay the wages of their own teachers and don't get money from the government for that. And private school teachers actually have good wages, as opposed to the pittance the government pays its DET teachers.
3. They attempt to provide the best equipment for their students - in fact, the equipment that the BOS syllabus assumes each school has in order to properly teach their stupid crowded syllabus (did I say "stupid" out loud?).

Equity in education will not come when certain conditions are dictated by organisations outside schools. Equity in education will not come when families are sending children to school with an "I don't care about education" attitude, who expect everyone else to give them an education, rather than take the education bull by the horns (to use a much overused expression) and wring everything they can out of their education. I have taught students in a public school who I wondered why they even bothered getting out of bed because they were not even switched on. Equity? They were offered an equitable education but they spat on it and kicked it out the door, prefering to take drugs and attempt to burn down the school (which the public school then had to pay for because they had already used their budget up cleaning graffitti).

So, there you go!

AND, add to that... Why pay so much?

Because some parents can, AND they do not want the education of their students hindered by those who would prefer to burn down schools. Personally, I can't afford to send my child to a private school, so I school him at home for that very reason!

johony

HSC
vongSTAA said:
They also import people for their sporting teams (e.g. basketball, had liek this massive American dude) which is gay for the other schools lol.
Practically all the schools in the GPS (except to a lesser extent for High) import kids for sport by the truckload.

It's ridiculous that these schools get money from the government, but really, if the government chose to cut off their funding (a la Mark Latham's elite school hit list back in 2004), it's exclusionist nature wouldn't work well with the upper class, or people who aspire to send their kids to private schools.

More money buys more facilities, but not neccessarily a superior education. The King's School came #74 in the HSC school rankings last year. Not horrible, but when you look at the top 10, it's pretty obvious.

smushieex

HSC
09bek said:
hmm, thanks for the generalisation.. =='
i think alcalder summed it up pretty well.

M@ster P

HSC
TBK11 said:
Does anyone attend The King's School from what ive herd its around $22,000 per year lol i was just wondering why does it cost so much you get the same facilities at a government high school yes/no?

why so much what could possible cost that much that its 22k a year for yr10+
woah my school fees are 2k a year and I thought that was expensive, well it is to public but nothing compared to 22k.

Last edited:
HSC
vongSTAA said:
I do believe there's also some level of prestige and history behind the school?
Aye; "The King's School is the oldest independent school in Australia and was founded in a very real sense at the Battle of Waterloo, where the Duke of Wellington's success in defeating Napoleon led to a popularity that swept him into office as the Prime Minister of Great Britain. There the Duke was able to exercise his preferment and despatch his protége, Archdeacon Broughton to introduce a "superior description" of education into New South Wales."

And yeah at the moment it's a bit more than 22k per year for year 12.

HSC
Rafy said:
"Sporting facilities include 15 playing fields used for both cricket and rugby union, 14 tennis courts, five basketball courts, five soccer fields, a 50–metre lap pool, a 25–metre swimming pool, a diving pool, and a gym under which there is a small rifle range. The school also has a rowing facility in Putney, on the Parramatta River. A newly constructed gym—the Sports Centre—was opened on 16 June 2007"

(yes i went to TKS)
Wow, if you want to be a moderator, go to TKS :)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
johony said:
Practically all the schools in the GPS (except to a lesser extent for High) import kids for sport by the truckload.

It's ridiculous that these schools get money from the government, but really, if the government chose to cut off their funding (a la Mark Latham's elite school hit list back in 2004), it's exclusionist nature wouldn't work well with the upper class, or people who aspire to send their kids to private schools.

More money buys more facilities, but not neccessarily a superior education. The King's School came #74 in the HSC school rankings last year. Not horrible, but when you look at the top 10, it's pretty obvious.
I don't like the idea of some people getting better education then others, but this is the real world. My extreme left wing opinions count for jackshit and only real action can change anything.

My school came 30th in the HSC last year. We have graffiti all over our walls, a muddy back field, old-ish computers, and I like the place a lot. Compared to the position TKS came last year if it was 74th, I think we did well and got better "value for money" or whatever you call it.

Alcader, I'd be interested to know where you've taught before.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Suck shit to the 12k paynig people whereas I pay 500-600 and will get better marks than they do.

I win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)