The King School Why so much (1 Viewer)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
What is the point in paying that much to go to kings? I mean academically they aren't really anything special.

I'm sure the top students in the state weren't like "hey, just going to down to the rifle range now brb"

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
The same reason some people pay $120 000 for a car when a $20 000 car will do the same job.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
does the same job, yes.

but looks a lot better, sounds a lot better and makes you feel a lot better.

however, for the results they produce, it's not worth going to the school unless you're parents are flashy fuckers and just want there kids their cos it's kings.

my parents had no idea about all this private school shit. i went to punchbowl fucking public school followed by sir joseph banks in revesby.
thanks mum and dad, thanks.

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
johony said:
Practically all the schools in the GPS (except to a lesser extent for High) import kids for sport by the truckload.
I know a guy who got in the for a music scholarship playing the 'triangle' because he was ridiculously good at sport, and they had already given out heaps of sporting scholarships.They ranked 74th in HSC marks probably cause they care more about sport and core than marks haha.

shantu1992 said:
Yeah its ofcourse better known, but what about the facillities and all of that stuff. What Kings have sounds crazy, and they pay less than grammar, so just wondering if grammar takes over the whole of college street lol and where does the m oney go from grammar, like what facillities do they have that really stand out, Performing Arts Centre, Aquatic Centre, 50 Football Fields..?
Cause Grammar has ridiculously good learning facilities. I don't know much about it though, but they have like less than 10 kids in a class and really make sure you do well.

Also you'd be suprised to notice, (TKS guys would) the amount of girls that get put through Tara (the sister school) because their parents want them to date Kings Boys. It's just a reputation.

They get opportunities public school kids and even semi private school kids like myself wouldn't dream about. Full time tutors on site, having the governor general at your year 11 graduation assembley, KRudd is going to be there next year, GPS competitions for things like business reports (my boyfriend won $25o voucher for boarders, and UNI references and decreased UNI fees, and he came third... the winner got a free trip to shanghai to present his business report..) things like that we never get offered.

I have to admitt, I get terribly jealous, I go to a semi private school in Cronulla paying 5g a year haha. They just get spoon fed and handed everything on a silver platter.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
alcalder said:
The same reason some people pay $120 000 for a car when a $20 000 car will do the same job.
school isnt supposed to be such a luxurious experience tho. I cannot believe the amount of money some people pay for secondary education. Paying big on uni is more understandable and may lead to career, but high school? At my school we pay $300 and we constantly have 10-15 or + people achieving a UAI of above 90, usually 5+ that get 95+. If u work hard enough (like i do/did) you get just as good marks as that school. I would think i would get better marks than 95% of the Kings cohort.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I think - if people are willing to spend that much for education - they are welcome to. But seriously - you can get similar resoruices and facilities going to a cheapy private school, or even some public schools.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
$22K a year would buy an awful lot of tutoriing, wouldn't it.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
So pure breeds don't have to be subjected to you scum

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Myeh, say what you want
My friend got 99.95 by going to Kings
You can't bag out people for paying money to go to a school

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I still would go to my school (private Eastern Suburbs school) any day over Kings. The fees are similar and I think it's much better.

Kings' grounds are quite big though, I used to live across the road from that school and mucked around quite alot with mates in their vegetation land (which was quite big), and IIRC it had a river stream and even a dumped car which I had alot of fun in :D

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
youngminii said:
Myeh, say what you want
My friend got 99.95 by going to Kings
You can't bag out people for paying money to go to a school
Going it Kings didn't make him get that UAI, when someone recieves a UAI like that it all comes down to dedication and hard work.
If that was the case then the top schools in the state would be schools like Kings and Knox.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I was in the middle of writing a long response to this thread but I realised I'll just keep it short.

I went to Kings. Not only did I go there, I lived there as a boarder. (7 days a week, 10 - 12 weeks a term, 4 terms a year)...

I absolutely fucking hated it. Probably the most miserable 4 years of my life.

My opinion is not a typical one you'd find from most of the guys who go there.

Coming to Kings will not give you a high UAI, regardless of how much you get spoonfed. It's never been strong in terms of academics and student results and that is likely to never change. The school however forces all students to play sport and be a part of the cadet corps. While many consider this to be a positive thing, in all honesty, these activites will not really help you go to university or get a job.

I may as well point out the obvious by saying that a high UAI (because let's face it, this single number is the most important thing we're getting out of high school) is achievable simply due to a combination of good subjects, natural intelligence and hard work. Personally, I got high 80's for my UAI which wasn't great but enough to let me do my course. My gf on the other hand went to a shithouse public school, studied her ass off, got above 99 UAI, got into law, was dux of her school and even beat the dux of my year at the time.

Keep in mind that the deciding factor between a private and public school student is simply the financial income of their parents. It annoys me how going to these schools tends to breed a sense of arrogance amongst its students because they automatically assume they're better than everyone else. That statement right there is the reason I hated my school so much...

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lalala there's nothing wrong with paying to go to a BETTER EQUIPPED school

So please. Stop crying about people who have more money than you. Get a better job and make them cry in the future.

aussie-boy

HSC
shantu1992 said:
Yeah its ofcourse better known, but what about the facillities and all of that stuff. What Kings have sounds crazy, and they pay less than grammar, so just wondering if grammar takes over the whole of college street lol and where does the m oney go from grammar, like what facillities do they have that really stand out, Performing Arts Centre, Aquatic Centre, 50 Football Fields..?
Well when 25+ teachers have PhDs (about 1/7), wages would be fairly expensive

Then there are living costs for the artist and composer in residence at the school's houses

And the $30,000 budget musicals

Plus buying 12 acres of land in Paddington when White city got sold recently

a 1 million dollar organ, about 30 pianos (including 4 grands)

20+ science labs?

class sizes of 1-16

hiring out the opera house for speech day

jonodevculibao

HSC
paying 40 000 plus for schooling is ridiculous, hell its about as much as some people earn a year. 'good facilities' such as swimming pools and such dont count for shit seein as the main point of high school is to get a good education, which cant be bought, hence kings 80th ranking. sure the environment, social setting, etc. can be an important factor, but i hardly think its worth 40000 a year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)