the i hate english thread. . . (1 Viewer)

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
yes i was thnking about burning the exam paper as the examiner made me take it and i couldnt be bothered to trash it

HSC
Well at least ENGLISH is all over red rover.

WE DONT HAVE TO THINK ABOUT STANDARD ENGLISH EVER AGAIN.... thank god for that.

But English (most of it) is soooo irrelevant when it comes to university and TAFE. The only thing you need to know is how to write an essay at university, and even then English is irrelevant.

I learnt more about essay writing in Legal Studies than I did in English. I can write a legal studies essay with NO problems (except it would be good to have some extra time). I am never stuck when it comes to thoughts and ideas while writing a legal essay.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
lol me and friends talk about english and its relevance. i love our joke;
when im older or out and about, im going to look at a movie poster and observe its techniques and i think ill write an essay about it! etc etc same goes with pretty much everyday life, as if you'll look at things and automatically think 'techniques'

7th Sign

HSC
english was great today questions were good they were not heaps easy or like heaps hard they were medium. I think some modules past papers I have seen have been a lot harder imo.

Oh well its over :D

Srixon

HSC
I think every one hates english. All we need to know is how to speak it and spell then give it up just a waste of our time

HSC
easy and hard are subjective terms;

i found section 1/2 easy and section 3 hard, while half the other people i know found section 1/2 hard and section 3 easy

who gives a shit in the end!

HSC
why bother with the hsc
one half of the people will toil their life away
the other half will grow old
and ill die upside down in a pub toilet

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I loved the questions! All essays. The second one tricked me for a bit but I realised eventually that it's basically an essay. :p

That wasn't too bad. I'm so happy I'll never have to deal with English ever again.

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
MasterOfDisgyis said:

But English (most of it) is soooo irrelevant when it comes to university and TAFE. The only thing you need to know is how to write an essay at university, and even then English is irrelevant.

I learnt more about essay writing in Legal Studies than I did in English. I can write a legal studies essay with NO problems (except it would be good to have some extra time). I am never stuck when it comes to thoughts and ideas while writing a legal essay.
same here, english is stupid - as if we'd need to know how to relate two texts together ever again, i mean come on!

oh and good luck for legal tomorrow morning

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
MasterOfDisgyis said:

maybe because u like the content in legal studies, better then english, and from ur attitude towards it i fink thats the case, but das onli my persepective =P

T

Talent-ed

This is obviously the right thread for my views:

From the 2004 marking guidelines of Paper 1:

“Text one – CD-ROM cover

(a) (i) All candidates found this question accessible and clearly enjoyed interpreting the range of images in the visual text. However, some candidates underestimated the ‘relevance’ component of the question. As above, candidates are reminded that the length of their response should be commensurate with the marks allocated.”

I find it hard to believe that someone who thinks that we (the majority) “clearly enjoyed interpreting the range of images in the visual text” is allowed to mark something as important as our H.S.C. when they are that STUPID.

Enjoyed!!! Enjoyed what??? Sitting in a room for 2 hours sweating over a piece of paper when I could be doing something else! Anything else!!!

Anyone who Disagrees with me will be hunted down and shot in the head!

Last edited by a moderator:

mcbec

HSC
lmao thats funny... ENJOYED?! hell no...
lol i wonder what the 2005 paper marking criteria will say... something like "All candidates showed poor interpretation of the texts to the extent that many gave up half way and simply wrote 'I dont give a shit'".

haha that would be so funny!

anyway, i agree with everyone that high skool English SUX (esp yr 11 n 12), & i vow never to use it again, or to ever discuss the notion of 'Journeys' again!!

Also, the paper SUCKED... anyone who said those questions were fair or good or easy, seriously has something rong with them! So failed that exam!! :(

LiL_JeN_JeN

WTF is Goonie Goo Goo
HSC
How the fuck can you clearly enjoy interpreting a text??
I hate it.
No more English ever ever again...its so good!!! The feeling of knowing that when I walked outta the exam on Thursday almost swept me off my feet. Almost felt as good as the time I first set foot into Standard English knowing Id have no more Shakespear shit to deal with...
No more Witness...no more Skrzynecki...no more Lawson and no more State Of Shock...ohhh bliss!!!

Punkrock_Scotty

HSC
lol who the hell could enjoy english? these board of studies ppl need some serious help. heck, anyone who designs the english syllabus deserves to have a sword place through their scrotums. also, anyone who mentions the words 'Imaginative Journey(s)' to me will meet the same fate.

ill send u on a fcukin journey you biartches.

HSC
I enjoy English as a whole. I like analysing texts, finding hidden meanings and the way each and every one of us can interpret a text differently. In other words, I like it when we're discussing things in class.

HOWEVER, what I don't like about English being a COMPULSORY frikkin subject with exams is that:

it's not a free world afterall. Your teachers TELL you that, but in the end, you have to regurgitate what you've learnt in class, no matter how much bullocks you really think it is, resulting in a mass brainwash (Jeez, Frontline. Representation of the truth. all the sheep!). There is no "But I don't see it that way". You follow, you get good marks. I suppose you can still write what you think, but expect getting shit marks for it. That is not English. That is, like every other subject, regurgitating the syllabus and doing whatever your teacher says.

That's a disgrace.

I'll continue to read, analyse and interpret different texts. Movies, books, an ad, but I AM SO EFFING GLAD that the English papers are over. No more "i have to say this because I'm told to."

YEAH BABY.

mcbec

HSC
dude (sorry, "dudette")... if u hadnt noticed, this is the STANDARD english thread, not the "im so smart i do advanced" thread...
its also for ppl who want to DESTROY the notion of interpreting texts, not those who are bloody crazy enough to enjoy it!!!

so go complain about frontline to ppl who care and who also hate it.

T

Talent-ed

Yeah, you've just put a happy "I love english" post in the middle of the "I hate english" forum and screwed up all the hate!

Now every body will remember your opinion and hate you for it.

Congratulations! You're a loser!

HSC
Oh I apologise for the mix up. But hey, I'm just giving an opinion that's not generic. Freedom of speech. I'm not on either side. And for your information, I did not, by any means imply that "I'm so smart, I do advanced"

In that case I'll talk about journeys then, since we did the same paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)