The "I feel awful because everybody else in this forum is so brilliant" thread... (1 Viewer)

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
I normally decline to comment about exams after I've sat them, until I get my results. But I'm breaking the rules for this exam because I know I have screwed up big time. Our school trial was way too easy, and lulled us all into a false sense of security that we were going to be fine.

My problem was, I got through the multiple choice in 15-20 minutes, and thought, "this is pretty cool, I'll be okay..." and then I got to the algorithm bits and had an absolute mental blank. So I freaked. Panic attack! And to make matters worse, I couldn't understand what they exactly wanted in some of the questions, and I think I've misinterpreted a quarter of the paper.

I guess I'll just make sure I do my twelve units for 2006 to stay safe, as SDD will definitely not count. I just wish I could've gotten a comfy band six in order to get into Philosophy.

**cries** I feel like such an idiot. And I don't think studying would've helped me, I'm just too stupid, and I suck at the subject **tears**

Sorry for being such a crybaby. Am I alone? **sobs**

helenpoo

HSC
Woah, ok, you're 2006.

.. I don't really have a comment for you.

Nice sig though.

Madmang

Macintosh Mainframe
HSC
I wouldn't worry too much about your software mark, it's a new subject and the message I've been recieving is that most people's teachers have no idea and most of the markers/examiners seem to be confused about how to turn on their computer. It'll take years before SDD becomes a "respectable" subject that gets the same attention as something like Modern History.

Honestly though, there's not heaps to learn and once you get the basics down you're set. If you're willing to spend a little time after learning each thing to write notes/consolidate then you'll find that it's not as hard as perhaps you're worried it is.

I'm a little confused about your situation though. Do you mean you're sitting the HSC currently or next year?

Last edited:

Tincat

Sith Lady!
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
... I got to the algorithm bits and had an absolute mental blank. So I freaked. Panic attack! And to make matters worse, I couldn't understand what they exactly wanted in some of the questions, and I think I've misinterpreted a quarter of the paper.

hehe... *high fives* I can say exactly the same! And I'm in yr 12! x_X
Oh man, our trials were way too easy too...

DoubleD

....Theonly One
HSC
Perhaps the reason so many of us are here are smart because we're sticking away from the topics/other forums we miserably failed ;)

-=DD32=-

HSC
Madmang said:
I wouldn't worry too much about your software mark, it's a new subject and the message I've been recieving is that most people's teachers have no idea and most of the markers/examiners seem to be confused about how to turn on their computer. It'll take years before SDD becomes a "respectable" subject that gets the same attention as something like Modern History.

Honestly though, there's not heaps to learn and once you get the basics down you're set. If you're willing to spend a little time after learning each thing to write notes/consolidate then you'll find that it's not as hard as perhaps you're worried it is.

I'm a little confused about your situation though. Do you mean you're sitting the HSC currently or next year?
Oh I'm just accelerated for 1 subject...and I was hoping for a good band six that would let me get into Philosophy.

My teacher was excellent, it was just me and my stupidity. I just wish she'd set a harder trial paper; I did a few practice papers on my own but I think the environment you're in is quite different. Oh well, maybe I can suggest it to my '06 friends who chose not to accelerate...**sigh**

HSC
DoubleD said:
Perhaps the reason so many of us are here are smart because we're sticking away from the topics/other forums we miserably failed ;)

-=DD32=-
Awwww, I'm sure you did fine. Don't worry! You've had the full twelve months prep for your HSCs (I went into software having done zilch before late March 2005...because my teacher thought my friend and I were capable of doing both the prelim and the HSC courses in one year...) At least I got some good prelim marks this year.

Madmang

Macintosh Mainframe
HSC
I haven't been posting on the maths forums... :(

matthewm: I say that based on comments by a number of people I know who also do software at other schools, including a marker who used to be a judge for Software marking. I didn't myself have problems with my teacher who was indeed capable of teaching the subject. Perhaps the problem is not as bad as I thought. Some of the trials we had a go at in class had wrong answers on the marking sheet though...

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Madmang said:
I haven't been posting on the maths forums... :(

QUOTE]

i dont listen 2 any1 since is that 90% of ppl here are full of shit and once you learn that then you wont have your confidance affected

HSC
If I was you I'd redo SDD and get that band 6, if you redo the year 12 course twice fark you'd annihilate the HSC next year. Our trial was pretty hard (even compared to the independent trial, I think ours was that bad, maybe not for the algorithm though) so that sent me into panic and I studied a fair bit for SDD, although for some reason I felt it didn't help for this exam. This exam seem to have tested accumulated skills...

DumbparameciuM

Sorry to (potentially) rain on your parade, but I thought Philosophy was strictly a post-grad subject.

HSC
its a distinction subject, you can do it if you get certain score in an accelerated subject (I think min requirement is 80 or 90 not sure)
I wish I did it for SDD so I could do cosmology :(

DumbparameciuM

Casmira said:
its a distinction subject, you can do it if you get certain score in an accelerated subject (I think min requirement is 80 or 90 not sure)
I wish I did it for SDD so I could do cosmology :(
Goddamn, I didn't know about that.

HSC
i only knew about accelerated once i was in year 12, i was kicking myself, I'd do maths/IT/SDD accelerated AT LEAST, maths/IT is a joke and would be easy too

or do 4 unit IT where I can get the HSC in year 11 plus get certificate 3 and 4 in year 12 and it wont count to hsc so it wont be any pressure, ffs >_<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)