the flaw with 4b (maths 2 unit) (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
I'd post this in the maths results forum but no one is looking in their anymore.
It just struck me all of a sudden that in the probability question it states that Tanya chose 3 square AT RANDOM.

If she has to choose 3 different squares though she would have to physical mark the chessboard in someway or look at the chest board whilst making her 2nd and 3rd selection so as not to choose the same square more then once.
HOWEVER, if she does this her 2nd and 3rd choices are no longer at random but are instead potentially influenced by where she made her previous choice.
So whilst this question may work theoretically, in reality it simply isn't possible (unless she uses a jigsaw to physically remove square sections of the chessboard).

For a board of studies question this was poorly thought out, I for a fact actually wrote at the start of this question because I was so unsure as to what to do "are we assuming each choice is separate event so she can choose the same square more then once?"

This question is poor in that it is in no way mathematically challenging, but rather in its vague wording has left many individuals on either side of the fence.

This question could have assessed the mathematic criteria in which it is designed to do simply by stating
"A chessboard has 32 black squares and 32 white squares. Tanya chooses three different square at random, however she cannot choose the same square more then once"

kerfuffle

HSC
Yeah, the wording was dodgy.
And I think you meant 4.c). ;)

snowbunny

HSC
i agree...write a letter to the Board of Studies! it didnt really test if we could do it..just the luck of the draw to which interpretation of the question we had..gay

Bob.

HSC
You said she picked 3 squares at random. she could then pick the same square 3 times. i dont think the question was stupid, she'd just be stupid to pick the same square 3 times. i'm sure the people at the BOS made a question that did make sense.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
At least 4b wasnt as mean as q10. Yeh A lot of smart people i know misinterpreted that question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)