The CON! (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
A reminder to all students - the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society meets at 12pm tomorrow in Recital Hall East to discuss the 2005 Society Roadmap, and then at 5:30pm at the Paragon for Free Drinks (after a $2 entry fee), sponsored by the University of Sydney Union, and the $540 we each pay in student fees.

chepas

HSC
In lieu of creating a new thread I thought I'd resurrect an old one

Phanatical said:
As of 2005, the Conservatorium now includes what was the Department of Music in the Faculty of Arts - the Seymour Centre is now part of the Conservatorium, and therefore there is a much larger number of students who are now technically Conservatorium students.
Yay that's a nice bit of automatic prestige for us Arts faculty music students ;).

I'm interested in doing some of the Con units for my music major. In the music dept office at Seymour they have a list of Con units that Arts faculty students could do. But it was clearly marked that there are some very big 'buts':

* Units of study are 3 cpts only (not so bad for me so I can do lots more music units!)
* Need permission of the instructor (how likely are they to say yes or no to us humble Arts students?)
* Placement tests needed for some units
* Audition required for some units.

So here are my multi-ended questions:

I'm interested in doing the ENSE1015 - Choir and then the ENSE1002 - Choral Ensemble next year, and those are part of the units that need audition. That said, I have no idea who to contact, which choir it would be for, and what the audition would entail! Does anyone know what would be the answers to these three things? :).

I have found the audition requirements for Vocal principal study/minor, but that is for the whole degree, not for just one unit. For the minor you need to prepare 4 contrasting pieces and then they will ask for two :)S).

Is there anyone here that is in (one of) the Con choir(s)? What is it? Who runs it? How can we contact them? What's the choir like? Etc...

Cheers for your help!

EDIT: Also when do the Con timetables like to release themselves? Surfing between two campuses on opposite sides of the CBD will be fun trying to organise...

Last edited:

PublicUser

Banned
HSC
chepas said:
Yay that's a nice bit of automatic prestige for us Arts faculty music students ;).

I'm interested in doing some of the Con units for my music major. In the music dept office at Seymour they have a list of Con units that Arts faculty students could do. But it was clearly marked that there are some very big 'buts':

* Units of study are 3 cpts only (not so bad for me so I can do lots more music units!)
* Need permission of the instructor (how likely are they to say yes or no to us humble Arts students?)
There is still some snobbery with staff members down at the Con. They think that their students are better at music (and just about everything else) than any others. So expect some scepticism. Talk to the music in Arts staff if you encounter aggro or problems.

* Placement tests needed for some units
* Audition required for some units.

So here are my multi-ended questions:

I'm interested in doing the ENSE1015 - Choir and then the ENSE1002 - Choral Ensemble next year, and those are part of the units that need audition. That said, I have no idea who to contact, which choir it would be for, and what the audition would entail! Does anyone know what would be the answers to these three things? :).
Talk to the admin people at the Con, they will tell you who to speak to.
EDIT: Also when do the Con timetables like to release themselves? Surfing between two campuses on opposite sides of the CBD will be fun trying to organise...
The Con doesn't release their timetable till as late as possible, even as late as February. God knows how they are allowed to get away with this.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Choir doesn't need audition, but Choral Ensemble does. The conductor (for both the Choir and Choral Ensemble) is Neil McEwan, who's excellent. You'll find that most Con subjects are 3cp (with the workload of a 6cp main campus subject), but that's normal.

As for obtaining permission to enrol in Con classes, this goes both ways, with Con students not in the BABMusStudies wanting to do Arts Music units requiring departmental permission also.

I don't think there's much snobbery as such towards Arts Music students - at least not in subjects where those sorts of teachers would actually be taking Arts Music students. A few years ago, there Was a lot of name-calling on both sides (Con students thought Music Dept. students went to main campus because they couldn't get into the Con, and vice-versa), but that's certainly no longer true. Arts Music lecturers are teaching Con units and Con lecturers are teaching Arts Music units, and there are students like me who are doing classes on both sides.

And yeah, the timetable will probably be available late February. It's a bitch, but that's how it's always been. Though I've heard a rumour that we might be moving to the centralised timetabling system used on Main campus.

EDIT: The Con timetable is partially available at http://web.timetable.usyd.edu.au.

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Ah k cheers Phanatical :).

I actually got the enrolment and permission stuff sorted out at the end of last November, thanks to the Con thread in the music forum (I forgot all about this thread). Actually managed to get into Choir 1 and Choral Ensemble 1. Neil McEwan OKed them both personally. He mentioned that the Chamber Choir is the auditioned one, but nothing about the Choral Ensemble?

Also - thanks for the tip about the Con timetable on the Central Timetable system. I found quite a few units, and a new question to ask. I don't know how much one can trust the Centralised Timetable thingo because even though the handbook lists only "2hrs rehearsal/wk" for Choir 1, there are two 3 hour rehearsals listed?

Does anyone know how many rehearsals there are/were usually for the Con Choir and when they are/were? On last year's full timetable PDF I only ever found one rehearsal, for the Tuesday, so this extra one on Thursday surprised me a bit.

Re previous animosity Con-Arts Music Dept: Ah k. So there shouldn't be much 'snobbery' encountered by Arts music students who do Con units? I actually had to go to a dean (Jennie Shaw) for the permission, not just Neil McEwan, and they both seemed really nice and welcoming, so yes I think that any ill-feeling may be a thing of the past.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I believe one is Choir, the other is Chamber Choir. Attendance is only required for two hours, once a week.

And it's because we took you over. We took you over good.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Uh. God.

I really just want to graduate from this place. It's so painful to know I'm only halfway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)