The 2004 HSC - Chemistry Paper (1 Viewer)

speersy

HSC
N/A
VVoody said:
Heh, I did that but ended up putting vinylchloride (I hope that's right :p) in brackets so I hope I still get the mark...assuming that's right <_<
yep pretty suer that is right. I don't know how they will take that though.

Can they give half marks in chem?

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
Well I've given the right answer, and I'm pretty sure they can'y mark you down if you right something incorrect, and it wasn't even wrong so it could be a 50/50 chance. (An they don't give 1/2 marks - I'm pretty sure)

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
yeh it sucks that they don't give half marks in chem, because that would boost our marks heaps (well maybe only 2 or 3 marks in total, but I'll take any improvements). I know they give out half marks, even quarter marks in bio, so whats the deal there? Not fair on us chem dudes, thats for sure.

dafidav

HSC
half marks would so help me with my radio isotope question

so what did people write for the corrosion of metal experiment as it only asked in various concentration of oxygen, no mention of water...

lucyinthehole

dafidav said:
half marks would so help me with my radio isotope question

so what did people write for the corrosion of metal experiment as it only asked in various concentration of oxygen, no mention of water...
i didn't remember doing that in class, so i made one up. had 3 test tube, one distilled water, one water with oil layer, one no water, just open test tube with access to air... kinda dodgy, but it was all i could think of

caroline86

I thought that test was really dissappointing. After doing so many practice tests... this test was totally different... i spent ages learning what galvani, volta, davy and faraday did... i was hoping that would push my marks up a bit but they only ask about davy and faraday. and there were hardly any pracs!!! i was cramming them this morning and there were like none in the test!
i didn't draw my diagrams in pencil... i forgot... so at the end i just went over in pencil... at least they will know that i read the instructions on the front :p !
There were hardly any writing of equations... or balancing equations... that was sucky...
It seems to me that they missed out a whole chunk of chemistry stuff such as water quality and chemical monitoring and alpha and beta decay. grrr!!!

the shipwrecks part was pretty good. and the long question on CFCs was good.... easy to write about... and worth lots of marks! :)

i'm so bad at all the calculation stuff... on looking at what you guys all wrote... i know i'm screwed! Please scale me up board of studies markers! :S

f_jba15

Chem exam

withoutaface said:
I reckon overall I'll get somewhere around the 80% mark

EDIT: Can someone who's done a fair few past papers comment on the difficulty compared to previous years?
<---

The 2004 HSC Chem exam was realllyyy annoyingg. Lat years paper (2003) was so much easier and straight to the point and like it had something to do with actual CHEMISTRY.. this year it asked most unexpected things.. I CANT BELIEVE THERE WAS NOT EVEN 1 QUESTION ON HABERS PROCESS.. i hated the exam, comparing it to past hsc papers.. even the end of the multiple choice.. Q15 was like what the hell... and there were too many questions that were worth like 5 6 and 7 marks that you wouldnt have that much to explain like the AAS questions and the CFC'S question. There werent even proper experiment questions :vcross:

f_jba15

Omg man couldnt you see the ship at the top that had no top lol, thats the one that corroded more, i wouldve got that question right just caz it was in my trials lol... got it wrong in my trials lol ;) my teacher gave me the biggest lecture.. thank god for that.. shipwrecks questions rokeddd..

f_jba15

hay you add ammonium molybdate to test for phosphate ions lol i think.. read it b4 the exam

f_jba15

Omg cobalt-60 is in the medicine part too just for treatment instead of diagnosis .. i did Americium-241 in smoke detectors.. hope thats even rite

f_jba15

hay dafidav about the shipwrecks experiment i did the exact same thing.. hope its rite or my marjer will understand wat the hell i rote

Leasha23

dafidav said:
I just regurgitated the experiment we did in class - we had three beakers, each with a solution of 0.1mol/L NaCl in them. First beaker we covered and left for a week. Second beaker we boiled over a Bunsen to reduce the oxygen concentration in the solution, then sealed and left for a week. Third beaker we put a tube into and pumped additional oxygen into it (did a nice little diagram of bubbles here too), and then sealed and left for a week. Checked corrosion results after this period of time

jude_ess

overall i thought the paper was pretty fair, way easier than a lot of the past papers i'd looked at.

the last aboooout 5 of the MC were stupid.

i was glad that they didn't just ask us to regurgitate a bunch of equations.

Hey,

The question was four marks so it probably needed two/three positives and two/three negatives:

The benefits are:
- It saves lives in smoke detectors
- It emits alpha and low energy gamma radiation that is virtually harmless
- It has a long half-life (of like 430 years) so it won't need replacing

The negatives are:
- It is made from radioactive and reactive plutonium so manufacturers need to utilise protection to avoid exposure to radiation
- It is harmful in its soluble form (but this hardly occurs)

For the shipwrecks question, if investigating oxygen concentration on corrosion, it would probably be best to use the same kind of water with the same kind of nail in the same volume of water in test tubes, but the water should be prepared by:
- Oxygenating it by placing it on a magnetic stirrer for a few hours then pouring it over the nail
- Just using plain tap water; and
- Boiling water and sealing it with parraffin wax or oil

Record results every few days classing rust on a scale of 1 to 5.

Alternatively, you could add ferroxyl indicator which is made of potassium ferricyanide and phenolphthalein that turns blue in the presence of Fe2+ ions as the iron undergoes oxidation, and pink when OH- ions form when water is reduced, but this could interfere with the experiment.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
withoutaface said:
I reckon overall I'll get somewhere around the 80% mark

EDIT: Can someone who's done a fair few past papers comment on the difficulty compared to previous years?
i think 2004 chem paper is much more easier than 2003. I can answer most of the questions. The calculations were extremely easy. But then again, i've done chem at uni, maybe that made the 2004 hsc paper looked easier than 2003 hsc paper...i don't know.

stoydgen

Shiftius Curry
HSC
Narelle said:
That was the maddest test...

big markers were like englishy bullcrap

not that much specific questions, really open ended

shipwrecks questions rocked too
I thought it was pretty good too, and the shipwrecks questions were quite well...easy. :rolleyes:

HQ_BUDDY

Wheres Section 1 Part B Pages All Of Them

Wheres Section 1 Part B Pages All Of Them For The 60 Marks. All Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
There should be a topic in this sub-forum. Just have a quick look

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)