that acid 1 acid 2 question (1 Viewer)

megaman

HSC
Something to the effect of it changes colour at pH 8-10 which was at the equivalence point of both curves .: it could accurately identify the end points
Ok do you remember how many marks it was worth? Because I remember saying that it changes around a pH of 8 thus is a suitable indicator for the equivalence points in both graphs. I couldnt remember the exact endpoints ={

ashllis92

HSC
I think it was 2 but it sounds like you pretty much have it, you probably got the marks so don't worry

boxhunter91

HSC
I just said phenolpthalien was used because in both graphs the equivalence point is ph > 7

walk

Midgely
HSC
N/A
Acid 1 is strong (check equivalence point pH = 7))
Acid 2 is weak (EP pH = approx 9)

Acid 2 needed more KOH for neutralisation so it is more concentrated than Acid 1

You pick an indicator which has an end point colour change as close to the equivalence point pH as possible (phenolphthalien changes between 8-10 so usually used for a weak acid strong base titration) .......but because the change in pH for acid 1 titration occurs over such a small addition of volume (the volume difference between pH 7 and 9 is insignificant) ....the change in colour of the phenolphthalein will still indicate pretty accurately that you have passed through the equivalence point pH.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
what was the specific question?

was it something like "write a reaction with an acid similar to acid 1 and NaOH"

I wrote NaOH + HCl --> H2O + NaCl

I dont know if its right.....
vague and dodgy questions, have got to love board of studies.

just tell us what you want us to do and cut all the bullshit

Last edited:

cheechthecheech

HSC
Acid 1 is stronger with a higher deg of dissociation but acid 2 is more concentratrated. simple.

imoO

HSC
OMFG....another questions I screwed up..

I didn't write about concentrations....

Only about strong and weak acids

Tronester

HSC
By the shape of the titration curve for acid 2 could you assume it was diprotic? It started steep and then tapered off, not smooth like acid 1 suggesting two protons donated.

This would make it a strong, concentrated diprotic acid such as sulfuric?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But acid 2 was 'weak', wasn't it?

Tronester

HSC
I remember it to have an original pH of around 1-2 and its equivalence point was also around 8 (for the phenophthalein qs). Wouldn't this also make it strong?

chuboy

HSC
I remember it to have an original pH of around 1-2 and its equivalence point was also around 8 (for the phenophthalein qs). Wouldn't this also make it strong?
Not necessarily, the only thing that makes an acid strong is if it completely dissociates. It's quite possible that a weak acid could have that pH.

BTW the question was Name the salt which forms when KOH is reacted with an acid similar to Acid 2.

In other words, give an example of a salt which forms between a weak acid and KOH.

Except they didn't want to tell you it was weak ;)

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
For the salt question. I think it said name the salt.

In our trial, we had a question that also said name. They only accepted (say in this case) Potassium acetate. They didn't accept writing the formula, i.e. CH3COOK. Dono how it will work in the HSC though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

In our trial, we had a question that also said name. They only accepted (say in this case) Potassium acetate. They didn't accept writing the formula, i.e. CH3COOK. Dono how it will work in the HSC though.
LOL, that'd be pretty epic, hahahaaha.

shady145

Banned
HSC

is that the answer... first off i had.... potassium X lol and then i decided to change it to potassium acetate

ashllis92

HSC
Acid 1 was stronger but more dilute,,, btw I put KCH3COO, is that still right? lol
Technically no but it depends on how picky they're going to be. Since the K adds on where the H left off the K needs to be on the O ie. CH3COOK but you certainly had the right idea, hopefully they'll give you the marks

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
KCH3COO is just as valid as CH3COOK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)