Testing the effect of pH on amylase activity (1 Viewer)

nicolemaree

HSC
I have to conduct an experiment that shows the effect of pH on amylase activity. I have choosen to do the iodine test (placing drops of amylase/starch and a certain pH with iodine every ten seconds to determine when the iodine has converted all the starch in the starch solution to sugar). I think I understand what I have to do, but am not sure what to do for a control. Any help would this would be greatly appreciated!

flaminwaffle

HSC
I have to conduct an experiment that shows the effect of pH on amylase activity. I have choosen to do the iodine test (placing drops of amylase/starch and a certain pH with iodine every ten seconds to determine when the iodine has converted all the starch in the starch solution to sugar). I think I understand what I have to do, but am not sure what to do for a control. Any help would this would be greatly appreciated!
it's 5.30am and i skimmed over your question but here goes:

you would use a few test tubes, each of which has a different pH. eg. if you had 7 test tubes you could make them with pHs 1,3,5,7,9,11,13. You would compare the results of each test tube to the results of others to show a trend. eg. amylase activity is proportional to pH or whatever. having one control would be insufficient to show the effect of pH on amylase activity.

If im incorrect then... well, oops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)