Switching degrees at USYD (1 Viewer)

liner

HSC
So right now I'm doing Bach of Science and advanced studies at USYD in hopes of getting into medicine after doing GAMSAT in a couple of years. However, because i need a backup i want to transfer to a different degree in USYD: Bach of applied science (exercise physiology) or Bachleor of applied science (physiology) in hopes of becoming a physiotherapist if med doesn't work out. I have just finished first semester and going onto second one after break and wanted to know if i can transfer now or would have to do it next year. Also if i transfer next year will my Atar be considered or my uni grade from this year.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I am aware, you cannot initiate a transfer after your first semester to either the Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise Physiology) or (I assume this is the other degree name that you meant) the Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy). Here, I refer to this piece of relevant information from USyd:

If your interests have changed, if you didn't meet the admission criteria or if you didn't get the required ATAR, you may decide to transfer after completing a year of study.

If you choose to transfer to either degree next year, I would be inclined to believe that USyd will assess your application on your ATAR and university results (whichever gives you the best chance of receiving an offer), similar to a transfer from another university. If this is not the case, then you will be assessed solely using your university results (although I think this should be unlikely). Regardless, it would definitely be a good idea to do your utmost in order to achieve the best possible results next semester, so that you maximise your chance of receiving an offer to study your desired degree.

I hope this helps! :D

Pranam2005

HSC
Can you transfer from BLAS to Bsci after semester 1 if your Sem1 results are promising, even though your atar is, let's say 79 (guaranteed entry is 80)?

Do you think the unit credit will transfer over?

Also, which electives should be chosen so graduation isn't delayed?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you transfer from BLAS to Bsci after semester 1 if your Sem1 results are promising, even though your atar is, let's say 79 (guaranteed entry is 80)?

Do you think the unit credit will transfer over?

Also, which electives should be chosen so graduation isn't delayed?
I think that you should be able to transfer. As far as I am aware, students transferring from other universities will need to complete at least one year of full-time university study (or part-time equivalent) if they would like their university results to be considered. I am not entirely sure whether this also applies to internal transfers. It would probably be a good idea to contact USyd about this.

Given the apparent similarity between the Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science and the Bachelor of Science, I think it is possible that some of the subjects studied in the Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science would be considered relevant to the Bachelor of Science and therefore eligible for credit, meaning that your progress may not be impacted (at least not severely).

Regarding the specific subjects that you should choose in order to maintain your progress, you should have a look at the relevant USyd handbook(s), accessible using the following link:

Since your query is quite specific, I would recommend contacting USyd if the handbook does not help as they would be the ones who can provide you with the most accurate advice.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)