Switching courses- wanting to do speech path (1 Viewer)

sarahhhmendozaaa

HSC
So I wanted to get into the Bachelor of Applied Science Speech Pathology and received a 97.6 atar but didn’t get an offer for the Feb rounds. Is it possible to switch into the course before the census date when people might drop it? Or do I have to wait a whole year to get into the course? I did get an offer for the Bachelor of Science (Health) at Usyd and Advanced Science (Pre-med) at UTS, so I do have other options, but I was just hoping that I wouldn’t have to stay an entire year in another course…

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Given that the indicative ATAR for the Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) is 94, if you end up receiving an offer for this course in an upcoming round, such as February Round 3 or March Round 1 (both of which I believe would precede USyd's census date), then it should technically be possible for you to enrol in this degree prior to the census date. However, in the event that you (hopefully this will not be the case) don't receive an offer for your desired course in an upcoming round, how long you will need to wait before you can attempt a transfer to the Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) may depend on the university that you choose to attend:

University of Technology Sydney:

If you choose to enrol in UTS's Bachelor of Advanced Science (Pre-Medicine), and subsequently transfer to your desired course at USyd, you may be able to attempt a transfer after only one semester. Students transferring to USyd from another university will be assessed on their ATAR or university results - whichever is higher. USyd states:

Your university results will only be considered if you have completed at least one year of full-time university study (or part-time equivalent).
This technically means that you should be able to attempt a transfer after one semester and be assessed on your ATAR. If you choose this path, you will have to either re-register with and apply through UAC or apply directly to USyd.

The University of Sydney:

If you choose to enrol in USyd's Bachelor of Science (Health), you will most likely need to complete one year of study. USyd states:

If your interests have changed, if you didn't meet the admission criteria or if you didn't get the required ATAR, you may decide to transfer after completing a year of study.
Additionally, an internal transfer means that you will be applying directly to USyd, as opposed to an application through UAC.

Additional information regarding transfers can be accessed using the following link:

I hope this helps! 😄

sarahhhmendozaaa

HSC
Given that the indicative ATAR for the Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) is 94, if you end up receiving an offer for this course in an upcoming round, such as February Round 3 or March Round 1 (both of which I believe would precede USyd's census date), then it should technically be possible for you to enrol in this degree prior to the census date. However, in the event that you (hopefully this will not be the case) don't receive an offer for your desired course in an upcoming round, how long you will need to wait before you can attempt a transfer to the Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) may depend on the university that you choose to attend:

University of Technology Sydney:

If you choose to enrol in UTS's Bachelor of Advanced Science (Pre-Medicine), and subsequently transfer to your desired course at USyd, you may be able to attempt a transfer after only one semester. Students transferring to USyd from another university will be assessed on their ATAR or university results - whichever is higher. USyd states:

Your university results will only be considered if you have completed at least one year of full-time university study (or part-time equivalent).
This technically means that you should be able to attempt a transfer after one semester and be assessed on your ATAR. If you choose this path, you will have to either re-register with and apply through UAC or apply directly to USyd.

The University of Sydney:

If you choose to enrol in USyd's Bachelor of Science (Health), you will most likely need to complete one year of study. USyd states:

If your interests have changed, if you didn't meet the admission criteria or if you didn't get the required ATAR, you may decide to transfer after completing a year of study.
Additionally, an internal transfer means that you will be applying directly to USyd, as opposed to an application through UAC.

Additional information regarding transfers can be accessed using the following link:

I hope this helps! 😄
hi thanks so much for your help! unfortunately i finally got in contact with the uni and they said that speech path’s one of the few courses that takes in students in only the first semester and therefore i do have to wait the entire year either way :((… however when i called them, it wasn’t entirely clear on whether or not transferring externally would impact my chances of getting into the course compared to internally. does applying directly to usyd have any benefits? I do however seem to be more interested in the subs for pre-med but idk if external transfer is as easy as they make it out to be…

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
hi thanks so much for your help! unfortunately i finally got in contact with the uni and they said that speech path’s one of the few courses that takes in students in only the first semester and therefore i do have to wait the entire year either way :((… however when i called them, it wasn’t entirely clear on whether or not transferring externally would impact my chances of getting into the course compared to internally. does applying directly to usyd have any benefits? I do however seem to be more interested in the subs for pre-med but idk if external transfer is as easy as they make it out to be…
No worries! Sorry to hear that!

I don't believe that applying directly to USyd offers any benefits over applying to UAC since your application will end up being assessed by USyd either way. It's just that attempting an internal transfer will strictly require you to apply directly to USyd, as opposed to an external transfer, where you can either apply through UAC or directly to USyd.

In the case of both an internal transfer from USyd's Bachelor of Science (Health) and an external transfer from UTS's Bachelor of Advanced Science (Pre-Medicine), your university results will be assessed when attempting to transfer. The difference, and possibly an advantage, that an internal transfer may have over an external transfer is credit for previous study, which USyd calls "recognition of prior learning (RPL). Because you're transferring within USyd from a similar course, there may be a higher chance that you will receive credit for more units than you would if you were to transfer from UTS to USyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)