strictly ballroom and places? (1 Viewer)

elvishtears

HSC
Was it just me or did anyone else find getting three quality paragraphs out of Strictly Ballroom of how it shows belonging/not belonging from connections with PLACES difficult?...

Last edited:

cro4lyf

HSC
Yeah, that was a nightmare for people doing strictly Ballroom.. But I thought the first two section were fairly doable.

elvishtears

HSC
yeah the first two sections weren't too bad. For Strictly Ballroom I tried to write about connecting to places within "the dance federation" and places brought down through the ancestors of Scott (doug) and Frans spanish background. Didn't turn out as well as I expected because the techniques and quotes I had were really irrelevant in that context. =(

Ivy Mike

HSC

This was the worst question they could ask for strictly ballroom. The whole damn movie practically takes place in doors.

I talked about how communities are a part of the 'place', and how a connection to them (or lack of) can influence an individual's feelings of belonging. In any case my response wasn't that great since it didn't exactly answer the question... which was practically impossible tbh. My related texts (Bend it Like Beckham + Othello) didn't help either.

Unless they have some sort of text scaling I'm going to be very ****** mad.

Skyzor

HSC
You pretty much had to compare the ballroom world with the toledo milk bar.

Ones all fancy and shit the other one is more natural and realistic "where do you feel the rythem" and shit like that.

But it was a pretty shit question. Did not word it as good as i would have liked to :(

sezzay

HSC
Ohmygosh it was awful!! I didn't know how to relate it :/ :/ :vcross:

Weasel406

HSC
Uni Grad
Those who do "The Crucible" know how you feel. Hopefully they scale the essays when they realise that everyone doing texts such as "Romulus my Father" is going well, when others are finding it hard to relate their text to 'place'.

elvishtears

HSC
You pretty much had to compare the ballroom world with the toledo milk bar.

Ones all fancy and shit the other one is more natural and realistic "where do you feel the rythem" and shit like that.

But it was a pretty shit question. Did not word it as good as i would have liked to :(
That's a really good point for places! seriously that's just about the only one I can think of that remotely relates to places, I basically just gave a technique and an example and bullsh#@ed how it related to a place in "the dance federation" haha NO idea

elvishtears

HSC
Hopefully we just get scaled in relation to students who did Strictly Ballroom as their text, 95% of the people I have talked to found the question very hard.

cpwincess19

HSC
I talked about Barry Fife and how he only finds a sense of belonging within the ballroom context (place) . Once he is removed from that context, he is lost and faces a sense of isolation and derision ? I guess he's marginalised :/ idk ... what does everyone else think ?

elvishtears

HSC
I talked about Barry Fife and how he only finds a sense of belonging within the ballroom context (place) . Once he is removed from that context, he is lost and faces a sense of isolation and derision ? I guess he's marginalised :/ idk ... what does everyone else think ?
Yeah that's how I sort of went along about it. I think we got off track from their interpretation of "places" which is most likely a physical place. I'm thinking they wanted us to pursue talking about Fran's Spanish background, Scott's inherited steps through his father and connecting with the dance studio. Of course I struggled to do any of these because all my supportive quotes and techniques had nothing to with "places" *sigh*

Comeeatmebro

HSC
Hm.... funny how Strictly Ballroom matches up with almost every aspect of the belonging syllabus:

Deals with belonging to people
Deals with belonging to groups
Deals with belonging to people
Deals with issues of conformity, isolation, alienation from a community
Deals with issues of identity, how a community can suppress one's individuality and pressure them to conform
deals with the positive enrichment of a community through an individual, as the community's empowered sense of belonging

deals with probs a few more other things

BUT IT DOESN'T DEAL WITH PLACES FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Nah I just said how Luhrmann purposely contrasts a setting like the Ballroom Dance Hall with meta-theatrical elements, and juxtaposes that with the naturalistic setting of the Toledo Milk Bar. You see Scott happy, and you see him wearing similar clothes, colour scheme of the setting and his clothes match - demonstrates the connection he has with the place and people.

Only wrote 3 pages, really weak argument and I reckon im gonna get super shit

AmieKatherine95

HSC
The whole movie is based on belonging to place. The dance floor is the place in which all the dancers belong to. However, without the connection to people and groups (the Dance Federation), belonging to place can not be established.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)