Standing Wave (1 Viewer)

ressul

Mr
HSC
May I ask a stupid question:
So, what is standing wave what's the nature of it?
Thank you!

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
My teacher said that an example of a standing wave is a skipping rope that has its maxima and minima stationary - that is a sine wave that is symmetrical about the x-axis. This means at certain points there are high probablities of electrons and low in the minima.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
you can observe standing wave in the form of skipping rope as zarathustra... also, u can pluck a guitar string... the wave it is forming is a standing wave... the energy transfers from kinetic (maximum movement of the string) to PE(when the string has being stretched the furthest) continuously...

as regard to de broglie's proposal that electron exist as standing waves around a nucleous - if that's the case, then the total energy of the electron is not lost, but rather transfered from KE to PE and back continuously...

this explains one of the limitations of bohr's model of atoms, that if a charged particle is travelling, it must emit EMR, hence lose energy... hence spiral into nucleous...

L

lucky

tie 1 end of the rope to a pole or something.. hold the other end... and shke it like a mofo... there.. u have created a standing wave..

i fink..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)