Speculative Fiction ppL!!! anyone do cyteen? handmaid's tale? (1 Viewer)

beLLe!~ ^__*

hey hey!

gosh dis forum only has one thread on speculative fiction!!! =/ wheres all da speculative fiction people!?!?! -__-'' newaiz im currently doin handmaids tale and have to write an essay bout it bein a female dystopian and a spec fiction text! i really need help! i don't know how to structure it! =/ does anyone have an example essay dat i can refer to for help??? and is anyone doin cyteen!?!?! its soOoooooo thick!! sigh.....and there's like hardly notes if any on the internet!!! plz help!!! Thanks

BKS

spec fiction

yeah im currently doing spec fiction, its tough and i am yet to read cyteen. I have read the majority of handmaids which was quite good but cyteen is just way too long...as for the notes, mine are quite compex due to my teachers complex language that im sure even he cant comprehend. maybe we coul help each other out, seems we are both in a bit of a hole at the mom..lol

elmostar

hey. Its about time there were some more speculative fiction kids, seriously i thought our teacher was the only one to pick it!Ive done the handmaids tale and am halfway through lord of the rings, have you done this? are you going to? were doing cyteen next and i am about 1/3 through it.Worst book ive ever read,probably because its so chunky!!anyways i would love for us to be able to hellp each other out.so just reply or pm me if you want any help.
check ya

beLLe!~ ^__*

woahh finalli a reply!!! i've been waitin for agezz!! hmz yeh we're starting cyteen and the book is seriously impossible 2 read!!! >.< i musta read da first chapter lik a 100 timez!!! =/ im currently just picking out random chapters and reading them to get a gist of what the books about! =/ soo if anyone has any notes on cyteen....dat'll be of great help!!! thanks

LVB

I'm doing Handmaid, Cyteen and LoTR.

I'm finding it heaps difficult and there doesn't seem to be many people doing it hey??

We've done LotR and nearly finished handmaid

i absolutely love that book!!

any1 get cyteen?? it confuses me!!

elmostar

omg were all like twins! either that or cyteen really does suck and there is no infoation on anything!!!!!!
i have an assessment task to do on lord of the rings. i ahve to say how the visual effects contribute to the success of the film as a speculative fiction text!!!
and trust me to leave it till the last day.
can one of you plz put up some of your notes or something on one of the texts. i'll see what i can find and post it next time im on.
thanks

cynical

I've read Handmaid's Tale, Dune, and Cyteen.. and that's saying something! I don't know anyone who likes Cyteen - none of the rest of my class read it.

It's probably too late for your essays, but;

Belle - Use the SEXY paragraph idea
S - State your topic sentence
E - Evidence of your topic sentence.
X - Explain.
Y - Why is it related to the question?

Elmostar - basically you have to talk about what techniques are used to make it believeable as a real world; camera angles, lighting, 'old world' language.. ideas we associate with fantasy etc etc.

<<White Ghost>>

Professional Gigolo
HSC
Hey! I noticed there was nuthin on spec fiction either and was sooo worried! But anyway, I'm doin LoTR, Dune and Handmaids Tale. I'm still tryna get the gist of the themes of Handmaids Tale. Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far as a theme i have religion. LOL But it goes forever! Anyway, Peace out . . . . . .

Ghost

cimbom

HSC
'Five Senses' has published a really good study guide for Handmaid's Tale. But there's so little on LOTR:FOTR, and so much on Dune... I don't even know if I want to use Dune now, but it's so deep that it can be applied to any question.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
I'm doing Spec Fic as well *vomits*. Dune, LotR & Handmaid's tale. The Handmaid's Tale was amazing, but Dune put me right to sleep. My exam is on Monday and I have idea where to begin with my essay!

Emly

E.T
HSC
about the handmaids tale... read the whole thing. by the end of it you should have the gist of it. it reveals bits at a time. i didnt really understand what was going on until about halfway through, then it all clicked.

awesome book.

sapoi

HSC
beLLe!~ ^__* said:
hey hey!

gosh dis forum only has one thread on speculative fiction!!! =/ wheres all da speculative fiction people!?!?! -__-'' newaiz im currently doin handmaids tale and have to write an essay bout it bein a female dystopian and a spec fiction text! i really need help! i don't know how to structure it! =/ does anyone have an example essay dat i can refer to for help??? and is anyone doin cyteen!?!?! its soOoooooo thick!! sigh.....and there's like hardly notes if any on the internet!!! plz help!!! Thanks
HEY I AGREE... WE NEED MORE FORUMS/RESORUCES TO SPEC FICTION WORKS IN THIS SITE! IM CURRENTLY IN YEAR 12 AND NEED HELP SOMEWHAT FOR MY LOTR/HANDMAIDS/DUNE ESSAY - YES THREE QUITE COMPREHENSIVE SPEC FIC TEXTS!!!!!!!! ANYWAY WE DO NEED MORE INFO ON SPEC FIC OR EVEN BETTER- MORE PPL TO PROVIDE US WITH THE INFO :)

cheers

HSC
You really don't need to know much -- when it comes down to it, your final essay will have maybe 250-350 words on each text that you're doing (and only two of those are core texts). I'd focus more on creating a mindmap or something like that to help form links between texts, which shows sophistication.

HSC
our teacher personally didnt want us to suffer through cyteen :D lol so we're doing
handmaid's
lotr
n dune= so boring and dull, even the mini series is thick :S

anyways, by doing a topic thats not everyone does, it gives you an edge comparative to the rest of the state, so do a good essay and we'll all be ok ;)
just always remember with genres use

conventions!!!!!!!!

genres are the easist topics for ext english, once you know the conventions ur pretty sweet ;)

trials on friday for me ... im good for the essay... creative on the other hand:S:S:S grrrrr...

HSC
Dune is awesome, why all the hate? I'm doing LOTR instead though, because I didn't think having 3 of my 4 texts as novels was a good idea.

HSC
how did people feel about the paper? today :O?

i felt the creative stimulus was crapppppp...:S

hardly spec....

saltgunner

HSC
Are you talking about that man on the beach?
Twas Sucky. :vcross:
lol.

Do any of the OP's have old notes for Cyteen? No-one besides my class seems to be doing it now, so any help would be...well, helpful :D '

chenaniggans14

HSC
hey. Its about time there were some more speculative fiction kids, seriously i thought our teacher was the only one to pick it!Ive done the handmaids tale and am halfway through lord of the rings, have you done this? are you going to? were doing cyteen next and i am about 1/3 through it.Worst book ive ever read,probably because its so chunky!!anyways i would love for us to be able to hellp each other out.so just reply or pm me if you want any help.
check ya

i've done both LOTR and handmaids tail and im struggling with handmaids a bit..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)