Species A and Species B- WAXY CUTICLES AND SALT CRYSTALS (1 Viewer)

MiniT

Merlin The Sorcerer
Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun
HSC
veterandoggy said:
umm, may i point out that colour blindness is sex-linked (like, the Y chromosome doesnt have a characteristic, dude). and if you think for a few seconds, you would have realised that maria or whatever her name was has a normal X from her mother and a normal X from her father. it also said that the colour blindness was in her family, not her husband, so the child will NOT contract the colour blindness of his old generation. well, i guess you could say goodbye to a few marks.
Yes I know that colour blindness is sex linked. And if you stop to think for a few seconds you'd realise that Maria has TWO possible genotypes. The questions states that Maria does NOT have the disease but her brothers do. Since Maria is a female, she inherits one X chromosome from her mother and one from her father. Her mother can either give her the carrier chromosome OR the normal one. So I can say hello to a few marks.

You're mistake was a simple one to make, a slight oversight it you will.

UAI30orless

HSC
SCREW EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *&%*^&% ^*%*^%*&&*((* ^*&^*&^(*& ()*&)*)(*) ^*^*&^*^$&%$^$*&)(&*)(*)( (&(* &(*_(*)(*)* * )*)(*^*&%&%$*(_(_!!!!!!!!!! F*** Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYYYYY!!!!????? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?????? THERE GOES 4 friggin marx down d friggin drain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMNI it HIGH water is THE FRIGGIN OCEAN!!!!!!!! IT MUSTve been a high tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

UAI30orless

HSC
wait a second......... i take back my previous frustration............ if its is the MEAN high water mark.........then that means........MOST OF THE TIME...........the plant is underwater and therefore in the salty environment!!!!!!!!!!!! Or maybe not!!!!!!! UHE DIDLY CRAP! I studied so much............... I h8 U BOS!!!!!!!!! I LL KILL ALL OF U!!!!!!!!

H.A.L.

HSC
I think this question was more to do with geography, in our Geo class our case study was of the mangroves at Homebush Bay. Anyway not that it has much to do with anything, except that taking geo was an advantage in this question.

My main problem with this question is that it asks for justification, as in you could be wrong, but if u justify your reasons for thinking that way then you could be right. It seems that either way round could be correct. Mangroves the closer to sea probably don't have all that many salt crystals as daily tidal flushing would remove them. Whereas the mangroves that are around the high tide mark are only in water for twice and day, and so are only flushed twice a day which could leave to a build up of salt.

But in saying that I said that the one in the sea was the plant with the salt crystals, because I felt the other mangrove needed to conserve water as it only had access to it twice a day. Pretty stupid question in the end, much like the exam, too open ended and not specific enough.

frootloop

HSC
H.A.L. said:
My main problem with this question is that it asks for justification, as in you could be wrong, but if u justify your reasons for thinking that way then you could be right. It seems that either way round could be correct. Mangroves the closer to sea probably don't have all that many salt crystals as daily tidal flushing would remove them. Whereas the mangroves that are around the high tide mark are only in water for twice and day, and so are only flushed twice a day which could leave to a build up of salt.
another thinker! I didn't really think of that

Debs

HSC
stress less!

i dont think that question was necessarily about a right or wrong answer! so if u got it 'the wrong way' around..... it doesnt matter- as long as u justified the answer you got i think it will be all sweet. it was questions like that- that arnt really in the syllabus that they use to determine the ppl that really know ther stuff and have thought about the topics studied... compared to those that just wrote learnt the syllabus!

H.A.L.

HSC
frootloop said:
another thinker! I didn't really think of that
Yeh u see that's why this question was stupid, it all depended on how you thought about it. In fairness the examiners should look at how each person justified their answer and base it on that. I'm pretty sure that all species of mangroves get rid of salt via secreting it through the leaves, and having waxy cuticles is common to many plants. And the only reason I thought of tidal flushing was because of Geo.

SGS05

HSC
Was the waxy cuticles the species further inland so it would b hotter and the wax can minismie water loss and the salty cuticle woudl be closer to sea because it was a high salinity environemnt? I wasn't sure if thats right

danieljarvis

HSC
yeah salty one is more suited to a watery environment as it uses salt excretion.

waxy one minimises water loss but still uses salt exclusion as its method, so is more adapted to less of a watery environment than the otehr one.

Brookie7

HSC
danieljarvis said:
yeah salty one is more suited to a watery environment as it uses salt excretion.

waxy one minimises water loss but still uses salt exclusion as its method, so is more adapted to less of a watery environment than the otehr one.
oh ur so so so smart daniel!! oooooh
can i have ur number.. u must be hot if ur that smart :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)