SPARTA- Lycurgus question? (2 Viewers)

jackie07

HSC
What did you guys discuss?

i have never studied him in depth in class or on my own.

I wonder why my teacher never taught what he did?

who is he and what did he do....

i basically did 2 pages of absolute bullshit, my worst response in the whole exam

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
we actually did a shit tonne on him.

discussion the political, social and economic aspects of his reforms.

lochi90

HSC
yeah i thought it was a weird topic for a 12 marker
BUT, still managed to answer him well
didnt really focus on him in class time either but focused on the Greath Rhetra and that he called for a strong population of soldiers to defend Spartan ideals and ultimate survival in the face of ecomonomic and cultural decline and isolationism in 1st century AD
also that his steps to create agoge, kleros, mixed consitution of oligarchy, democracy and monarchy ultimately increased isolation from neighbouring greek states, and the ultimate downfall of Sparta due to their inability to evolve and alter this strict constitution
woah just wrote essay! :p haha

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
hmm i just broke it down into how Spartan society became military focused and changes to government and other stuff. Then went on to discuss significance of it BEING LYCURGUS' reforms for the society. Cause it was left open for that so decided why not

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
i talked about the Grand Rhetera, Agoge and Austerity --> am i fucked?

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
depends on what u talked about within Great Rhetra, uumm why only agoge?? they owe pretty much everything besides ephors to the reforms, but i dont know i mean u should do alright i mean like pass but by how much is anyones guess

HSC
i was like 'oh, the question asks about the significance of his reforms, not about him' so i didn't even write about the conflict of his existence. stupid! i even had a source from Plutarch i could have included about that... gah.

i mostly talked about the rhetra and system of government, how he made women exercise and introduced iron bars... i quoted xenophon and might have had another quote too, but that's pretty much it. i hadn't studied his reforms so i had to rely on memory from like a year ago, sparta was the first topic we did.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
lol i wonder if they were actually looking for people to pick up the importance of these reforms being created by one man Lycurgus to the society

HSC
i dont think i went very well in this but ill tell you wat i wrote anyway.
we didnt learn much on him either and the only stuff i know was stuff from the revision booklets that last yrs year 12 made up.
i was like "he made most stuff [except i didnt say stuff] for example the agoge...etc."
then i talked about the great rhetra, quoted zenephon. said we know most of our info from plutarchs "life of lycurgus"
and then i mentioned that some things he apparently introduced were there b4 his time so we dont know if he really existed or not.
oh and i also wrote at the start that he was probably a primitive local god but it didnt matter coz he ended up being that way anyway.
im not sure if the markers will get my implying...i was trying to imply that they worshipped him as one anyway...ah.

jussy30!

HSC
I wrote about his existance... because you cant really attibute the significants of his reforms if he didnt exist. If he didnt exist he made no reforms if that make sense. Then i just talked about what these supposed reforms were on the syssitia, agoge exct.

jackie07

HSC
ok well i think i was on the right track, i talked about the agoge and the education of women, and lycurgos' signifance to the running of the city, i think i even threw something in their about marriage customs.
it cant be as bad as not answering it at all...

bella3150

HSC
i nearly cried when i saw the Lycurgus question as the 12 mark.
i couldn't remember anything he did.
i dont know if anyone else gets this but i was writing and my vocabulary was deteriorating slowly and the whole essay just turned to crap aha. By the end of it i was like "The great rhetra was IMPORTANT.. and so was Lycurgus. THE END" oh well.

H

hilaryv

I didn't think the question was too bad because you could dissect the debate over his existence and then point out the reforms that he is attributed with and give their significance. That being said, can't actually remember what I wrote but remember the look of absolute glee on my teachers face when we got out because she'd been banking on a lycourgus question for years and they finally gave it to her.... hilarious

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)