sor 1u (1 Viewer)

carrotsss

HSC
Pretty damn average, you have to do quite well (45+) for it to even compare to a subject like physics

TheGrindNeverStops

HSC
Yeah, its not great but most subjects don't scale as well as people perceive them to. Although SOR 2u seems to fare better, I have obtained more graphs from the same site
2021 compared.png
SOR I vs SOR II vs physics in 2021

2020 compared.png
Similar result in 2020

over the years.png
However, we can see a bit of variation in how SOR I is scaled over the years

Attachments

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah, its not great but most subjects don't scale as well as people perceive them to. Although SOR 2u seems to fare better, I have obtained more graphs from the same site
View attachment 36710
SOR I vs SOR II vs physics in 2021

View attachment 36711
Similar result in 2020

View attachment 36712
However, we can see a bit of variation in how SOR I is scaled over the years
Worth noting: these graphs are hsc mark to scaled mark, and don’t take raw marks into consideration. If you were to make a raw mark to scaled mark graph the difference would be considerably greater.

However, I don’t think that simple numbers are a good way to analyse how a subject scales, they don’t take into account how hard it is to get a particular raw mark/hsc mark and how smart the average people who do a subject are.

With a few exceptions, pretty much every subject scales well enough that it is simply a matter of how much effort you are willing to put into it because of how the scaling system is designed to be fair for every subject. Hell, there are people who get 99.95 every year with solely humanities, it’s more than possible.

TheGrindNeverStops

HSC
With a few exceptions, pretty much every subject scales well enough that it is simply a matter of how much effort you are willing to put into it because of how the scaling system is designed to be fair for every subject. Hell, there are people who get 99.95 every year with solely humanities, it’s more than possible.
Agree with this point

Personally I like raw mark numbers as most people have a pretty good idea as to what range of marks they will achieve in the hsc exam (from part papers etc.), so you can get a pretty good estimate as to what your scaled mark will be

carrotsss

HSC
Agree with this point

Personally I like raw mark numbers as most people have a pretty good idea as to what range of marks they will achieve in the hsc exam (from part papers etc.), so you can get a pretty good estimate as to what your scaled mark will be
Yep I agree that they are useful for that purpose, I just disagree with their usage in subject selection and simple questions like “does this or that scale well”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)