Solutions (2 Viewers)

Pixydust*

i was wondering if anybody can answer my question - if, during my exam, i correctly solved a problem, but being the idiot i am, cross out my solution and write another (incorrect) answer, will i still be awarded any marks for my correct answer? thank you :)

Chris Lloyd

No you wont get the points if you crossed it out.

For 10b.) i got t = 30. Not 30 / (2^1/2) or anything like that.

I found the area for y = x + 1/4 in the square (let that equal A1) i then got the area under x = y + 1/4 (let that equal A2). All of that is in terms of t.

I then did A1 - A2 = 1/2

Do the algebra and P(meeting) = 1/2 when t = 30. The answer makes sense as well considering they have a space of an hour. Think about it, how could they possible either meet each other or not if they wait around for only ~17 mins?

Say Person 1 (P1) came at 12 and then left at 12:30. There is a 50% chance that P2 would come between 12 and 12:30 or between 12:30 and 1. Therefore t must equal 30. But of course we had to prove that mathematically.

jennylim

HSC
Chris.Lloyd said:
No you wont get the points if you crossed it out.

For 10b.) i got t = 30. Not 30 / (2^1/2) or anything like that.

I found the area for y = x + 1/4 in the square (let that equal A1) i then got the area under x = y + 1/4 (let that equal A2). All of that is in terms of t.

I then did A1 - A2 = 1/2

Do the algebra and P(meeting) = 1/2 when t = 30. The answer makes sense as well considering they have a space of an hour. Think about it, how could they possible either meet each other or not if they wait around for only ~17 mins?

Say Person 1 (P1) came at 12 and then left at 12:30. There is a 50% chance that P2 would come between 12 and 12:30 or between 12:30 and 1. Therefore t must equal 30. But of course we had to prove that mathematically.
actually, since the first one (15 mins) leaves a 7/16 probability that they will meet, it really does make sense that 17 mins is a 50% (8/16) chance of meeting. you draw the lines and subtract the area of the triangles from the unit square.

i think t=1/2 (which is what it must be) would lead to a 3/4 chance of xuan and yvette meeting.

1 - (1/2)^2 = 3/4.

My reasoning anyway.

princess M

HSC
Pixydust* said:
i was wondering if anybody can answer my question - if, during my exam, i correctly solved a problem, but being the idiot i am, cross out my solution and write another (incorrect) answer, will i still be awarded any marks for my correct answer? thank you :)
umm. my maths teacher has been marking the HSC for a looooooong time and he told us that u get alllll the marks even if u crossed it out.
as long as u havent vigorously scribbled over it, and its still readable, the markers will actually treat it as the only answer u put- hence ignoring ur incorrect answer.
hmm. thats wat we were told- and im quite sure its correct.
hope that helps!

Pixydust*

princess M said:
umm. my maths teacher has been marking the HSC for a looooooong time and he told us that u get alllll the marks even if u crossed it out.
as long as u havent vigorously scribbled over it, and its still readable, the markers will actually treat it as the only answer u put- hence ignoring ur incorrect answer.
hmm. thats wat we were told- and im quite sure its correct.
hope that helps!
thank you so much!! either way i don't mind because i know i tried my best anyway but it would be nice to scrape in a few extra marks, considering i did know what i was doing, i just didn't...know..i....did - thanks again!

Srixon

HSC
yeah as long as they can read it not all scribled out as they have to read everything our teacher said and he has marked the hsc before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)